HELP PLEASE

Options
Hi, I just recently started my weight loss journey. I started off very lazy, from desk job to home sitting on the couch to bed, no physical activity what so ever. But about a month ago, I started playing basketball with a few friends (about 5-6 times a week), and eating only 1500 calories or less. I have lost 5 pounds in the first week (assuming it is water weight), and for some reason I am not losing anything else. I don't understand... I am eating healthy and being active. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect to lose 5 pounds every week... but 1-2 pounds is what I thought I would be losing. What am I doing wrong? Can someone please help me?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    when adding/increasing exercise often muscles retain extra water to repair themslves. this can mask weight loss temporarily. it will woosh off soon enough.

basically keep at it, ensure you eat back some exercise calories and be patient.

weight loss is not linear. it varies by time of month, what we eat, what's still in our body when we take our weight. look at trends of your weight not so much daily number.

do ensure to use a food scale and carefully select entires for your food log.
  • dez_chick89
    dez_chick89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't have a food scale yet... but I yes I track everything including the oil and the drinks, etc (which is mostly only water).. I feel like I am doing the best i can as far as tracking my food. If I think I am wrong about an amount of food i put into MFP, i usually add more just to over compensate even if it takes me over the 1500 a day. I need to make sure I am doing it correctly. thanks both of you for your input! ANYTHING HELPS. THANK YOU!
  • dez_chick89
    Options
    thank you!!!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Yep, I think the food scale will lead to a few revelations.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    That initial water weight drop often masks the ongoing fat loss for a couple of weeks while things even out. Plus, as was mentioned, you may be retaining water somewhat from the sudden increase in activity. Basically, you can say you have lost 5 lbs this month, which sounds right on track.

It sounds like your logging & activity have you on track at the moment, but you will likely want to look into a food scale and be aware that the calories MFP gives you are before any purposeful exercise. It's designed for you to log your exercise and eat back at least a portion of those extra calories. But then it's also important that you be logging accurately.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    If you have your diary open then I’m sure people will kindly take a look and give advice on areas to improve logging accuracy. It could be really helpful alongside the food scale. You can always close it down again once you’ve had some helpful suggestions.
  • dez_chick89
    Options
    Thanks everyone so much for your tips! and I will read that article NovusDies! :)
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if you lose a lot of water weight the first week it looks like you don’t lose the next weeks even when you are. But definitely follow the advice above about careful tracking and don’t sweat the fluctuations. I’m currently up 4 lbs from my lowest so far and will likely be here before a bit before dropping again (TOM and homemade Mac n cheese for dinner). I know I’m eating at a deficit so I know it’s just normal ups and downs, so I’ve learned not to panic!