Macros nutrients

tyismc
tyismc Posts: 75 Member
A couple of years ago I was seeing a nutritionist and she had changed my macro nutrient goals. She advised me to use the fitness pal app but the default macros are not realistic for weight loss. Does anyone know about this because I really dont know remember what she changed them too. I do know that each one, fat, carb, and protein is supposed to equal 100 % but I'm not sure if should truly change them and what to change them too. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• DomorVerbeuk
    DomorVerbeuk Posts: 22 Member
    edited April 2019
    I use the 1g protein/kg bodyweight , 0.5g fat/kg bodyweight and 1g carb/kg bodyweight guideline, topping it off at 100kg bodyweight (my 18.5 MBI is 49kg, so about double my minimum weight). The rest of the calories are free-spenders. So whether I want to eat protein, fat or carbs above that level doesn't matter (for me), as long as I keep within my calorie restrictions (I've got an max and min. number of calories I want to be deficit).
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    tyismc wrote: »
    A couple of years ago I was seeing a nutritionist and she had changed my macro nutrient goals. She advised me to use the fitness pal app but the default macros are not realistic for weight loss. Does anyone know about this because I really dont know remember what she changed them too. I do know that each one, fat, carb, and protein is supposed to equal 100 % but I'm not sure if should truly change them and what to change them too. Any help would be appreciated.

why did she say they aren't realistic for weight loss? if she can't provide a cogent reason - i would likely dismiss her; also Nutritionist or RD? (an RD has multiple years training, a nutritionist not so much)
  • tyismc
    tyismc Posts: 75 Member

why did she say they aren't realistic for weight loss? if she can't provide a cogent reason - i would likely dismiss her; also Nutritionist or RD? (an RD has multiple years training, a nutritionist not so much)

It was a nutritionist.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

It was a nutritionist.

yeah - so i could basically go and do a weekend course in many states and be called a nutritionist - so i would likely question what she told you
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    If what she told you was literally that
    the default macros are not realistic for weight loss

without any qualification such as
    the default macros are not realistic for weight loss for you because of your medical issue X or your ethical or religious food restriction Y

then she's just spouting her own personal preferences, prejudices, or ignorant adherence to something she heard or read somewhere that isn't support by science.