Lots Of Exercise!

Options
Hi all! I have never been one to over eat, and I try to make healthy meals, but sitting around doing nothing caused me to gain a lot of weight. I even dropped to 1000 calaories a day and lost nothing. The only way I lost weight was to hang at 600 calories a day, and then I felt like I was starving. My sad attempts at going to the gym seemed futile. That is when I had the time. I needed something to keep me going and keep me motivated. (weight 175 - 5'5")

I recently traded in my gym membership (which I could barely find the time to use) and bought a small elliptical trainer. It's great, because I can binge watch my favorite shows, take care of my child (who has special needs) and take care of the house, I jump on and off it as needed without having to carve out a set time and place.

I bought it on Friday and put it together that evening. According to the calorie counter I have been burning 1000 - 1500 calories a day. - and I already lost 5 lbs. (170) I haven't changed my diet, because I really don't need to. I always eat between 1000 -1200 a day. Any less, I think would be unhealthy, and I am trying to eat right and get fit, and not starve myself.

It's shocking to realize that I was so immobile for the past few years, that just increasing my activity on this machine is finally helping me to lose weight and get fit. I don't even feel sore, except for the bottoms of my feet.

Anyway I joined this place for some motivation and kindred spirits. I look forward to being here!

Replies

• RabbidBunnies
    RabbidBunnies Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi! -and welcome to the forum self! It's nice to meet me! glad I am here!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    OK, very good. You should be lifting weights too, though.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Congrats, OP! You seem to found what works! I miss having an elliptical at home.
  • dilbobaggins06
    dilbobaggins06 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am trying to maintain, and the calculator says I should be eating about 2100 calories a day with my activity level. (8-9 miles a day of running). For some reason, I can't seem to get past 1500 calories in a day. This had caused me to almost reach an unhealthily low weight. I am trying to consume more calories, but my body is used to around 1400 a day. Any suggestions?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I am trying to maintain, and the calculator says I should be eating about 2100 calories a day with my activity level. (8-9 miles a day of running). For some reason, I can't seem to get past 1500 calories in a day. This had caused me to almost reach an unhealthily low weight. I am trying to consume more calories, but my body is used to around 1400 a day. Any suggestions?

Eat more calorie dense things. Nuts are incredibly calorie dense for such small amounts, for example.
  • dilbobaggins06
    Options
    I try, I am just so used to always trying to have the lowest calories possible. I think that if I go to bed full every night, I don't need more food. I am technically underweight, but I feel in the best physical shape of my life. It is hard to break old habits
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I try, I am just so used to always trying to have the lowest calories possible. I think that if I go to bed full every night, I don't need more food. I am technically underweight, but I feel in the best physical shape of my life. It is hard to break old habits

But if you keep under-eating you're going to keep losing, and if you keep losing if you're already underweight eventually you won't feel great. You don't have to overhaul everything, make one little change at a time.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

Do what I do on nights when I am full and have not come close to eating required calories; EAT MORE, even when I am full. If I don't do this I will continue to lose weight. Your long term health will love you for it because your body is more forgiving when you are a little overweight than when you are a little underweight.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    OP if you are correctly logging your food and really eating so little you are doing yourself no favours. I personally don't think muscle loss, hair falling out, brittle nails, and potential organ damage is a wonderful side effect to not eating enough. However, if you actually believe that eating only 600 calories a day was the only way you could lose weight then I strongly suspect you are eating much more than you think you are.

Buy some digital kitchen scales if you don't already own them. Weigh every single bit of solid food you eat (including prepackaged which can weigh a considerable amount more than indicated on the packaging), check the nutritional labels against the food or the USDA database for fresh food (many inaccurate entries here), and reserve measuring cups and spoons for liquids only.

Once you have that under control eat all of the calories that MFP gives you and at least 1/2 of your exercise calories from the elliptical. I say half because there is a really good chance that you are not burning as much as the machine indicates. Do this for at least 1 month (a full menstrual cycle) and if you find you are losing too quickly or not losing enough for your goals then adjust calories accordingly.
  • dilbobaggins06
    Options
    thx everyone!