Beat the bloat

Hey everyone..
I noticed when i eat certain healthy foods i start feeling really bloated throughout my day and really want to find alternatives to these anyone able to help?

I normally notice bloating after eating:
- Frozen broccoli
- Fish fingers (oven cooked)
- Drinking 2.5L of water
- Almonds
- Cashew nuts

Any ideas would be great :smile:

Replies

• chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    You could try taking Beano when you eat those foods. I eat a gigantic salad every night with all the key foods that cause these issues. I take a few Beanos with it and it really makes a difference.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,031 Member
    If the almonds and cashews are salted, get unsalted. Sodium may be the issue with the fish-fingers, too.

Beyond that, I'm not certain of exactly what you mean by "bloating".

You should not be experiencing abdominal discomfort (including constipation) or extreme gassiness from foods, with the possible exception of an adaptation period where your body may be adapting to a new food. (The beano or including regular probiotic foods in your eating may help with adaptation, but there will be adaptation to extreme changes, and usually one gets through those with repetitive inclusion of the foods in one's diet. Phasing in quantities gradually may also help.)

If it's painful, or causing flatulence or other gassiness beyond a couple of weeks' adaptation period, then you possibly have a food sensitivity or allergy. That would be a good thing to investigate with your doctor, or a Registered Dietician or Allergist to whom your doctor refers you, if it's unclear what your food triggers are, or you want to figure out whether there's a way you can eat those things.

The minor** water retention that comes from sodium or extra carbs (among other things), which is not experienced as pain/flatulence, but instead a slightly fuller, maybe slightly doughy appearance, especially in the midsection; or a bit of extra abdominal size in a thin person while fiber-rich/high-volume food is in digestive transit: Those are how a healthy body behaves.

If that's what's going on, I'd encourage you to recognize that those are temporary but 100% normal and healthy. They will interfere with our taking ideal selfies that look like a photoshopped IG fitness model; or they may make our near-tight waistband an actually tight waistband; but that's about it. It will soon pass.

** There are health conditions that can cause major water retention, as in many pounds, and hard to get rid of. Those are a doctor issue, for sure.

Best wishes!