Fitness Tracker for Swimming?

I swim laps several times a week, and would love a fitness tracker to monitor my workout. Does anyone use one of the water resistant Fit Bits or another tracker for swimming? I would like one that is compatible with my Android phone. Suggestions and experiences? Thanks!

Replies

• chromilo
    chromilo Posts: 33 Member
    Interested in this as well. I use a Timex Ironman GPS but it’s manual in that I have to press a button each time I complete a lap. It also doesn’t upload to Strava. I have to upload to another social site, export that, then import to Strava. A little painful that way.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    I use a Garmin Vivoactive 3.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Garmin Fenix 5X.
  • mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    I don't swim, but my Samsung Gear Fit 2 Pro is water proof and has a swimming app.
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,501 Member
    I use the Fitbit ionic!

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i use a Garmin 920
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Dilvish wrote: »
    Careful, there is mounting evidence that fitness trackers are typically not accurate unless all you are doing is plain old walking...

accurate as in calories burnt or accurate as in tracking exercise? different purposes - the OP wants a method to track a cardio like workout
  • Claire5520
    Claire5520 Posts: 113 Member
    edited April 2019
    Garmin Vivoactive 3. It tracks steps, swimming, cycling and running, and other stuff too.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Another vote for Garmin 920 or equivalent. Tracks yardage and if memory serves, it even provides a SWOLF score. Uploads to Garmin Connect app via Android as needed.

The only issue I've had is that when using a kickboard during drills, my arm is still, so it doesn't always pick up those laps. So maybe I should stop doing kicking drills. :)
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I have a Samsung Gear Sport that can track swimming. It tracks laps based on arm movement (heart rate sensor is not active for swimming). I have really liked using my watch overall and have found it to be pretty close to accurate for estimating calorie burn for me.
  • queenoscots
    queenoscots Posts: 44 Member
    Careful, there is mounting evidence that fitness trackers are typically not accurate unless all you are doing is plain old walking...

And yet a lot of us work with our chosen devices and find a balance that gives us consistent guidance. They're tools, nothing more, you need to apply your own logic and observations.

Thank you. That's exactly how I feel, and appreciate everyone's input.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

I drove over Snoqualmie Pass lay weekend and my Garmin's altimeter was off my 7 feet. Out of more than 3,000. I'm pretty impressed with accuracy.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    I have a Garmin Swim. No GPS, it also tracks strokes and laps by arm movement with accelerometers. I find it works really well for me, tracking laps in an indoor pool. Don't know about phone compatibility, I sync mine to Strava with my PC and an Ant+ stick.
  • megbeveridge93
    megbeveridge93 Posts: 238 Member
    Lower price range: Misfit
  • thomasjohnlynch
    thomasjohnlynch Posts: 120 Member
    Fenix 5X I had a 935 for a few years, before that MIO ALPHA and before that Polar of various models. This 5x is AWESOME for swimming and paired with a Tri-HRM (heart rate chest strap) give a very accurate data logging of all aspects of your swim including stroke type, HR, effort, calories distance etc etc.

here is a mile I knocked out in about 30 minutes playing with Total Immersion (TI) swimming technique.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3615082722/share/1?lang=en
  • sparky00721
    sparky00721 Posts: 113 Member
    I have recently started using the Fitbit Charge 3. Spot on accuracy so far for swimming (laps, time). I generally never wear a watch as I don't like the sensation of something on my wrist.

The only quirk so far relates to occasionally giving credit for flights when taking the elevator.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    i use a Garmin 920

Same here. The only complaint I've ever had is that if you don't push off the wall with sufficient force it will miss the occasional length (which in a 25m pool is not a big deal)