is your family concerned that you are still using a food scale?

Options

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't mind and he is used to it, but he doesn't use it when he prepares breakfast.

I don't weigh things when I have people over, mostly because I don't want to start a discussion (or an argument) about portion control, and because I find it cumbersome. Sometimes I even remove the scale from my counter top and store it inside a cupboard when I have company, and I leave there for few days. The less things that I have on top of my counter, the better I feel.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    My parents were from cultures where you weigh ingredients for recipes, so nobody bats an eye about food scales. My spouse and I both use them religiously - we have a few in our kitchen and both have our own that we keep with us in our vehicles to use at work as well.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I was present at a social function where there was a passing conversation about eating disorders. One person there said that their daughter is a bodybuilder and weighs everything she eats to the gram. The others laughed or jeered about how dangerously obsessive that was. Thankfully my husband didn't mention that it was my custom as well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for 6 years. I only weigh certain things, and then only sometimes. I've gotten used to what a serving of most things I eat look like for me. I'm certainly not obsessive about it and don't use a scale at social gatherings, restaurants, etc.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    My fridge is also now full of sausage rolls and cake that they bought and left, which I don't even want but also don't want to go to waste now they're gone.

Well it's gonna go to waste one way or another. If it doesn't go in the trash, it'll just be stored on your waist and you'll have to get rid of it the hard way. I'd just have a bite of cake, then take the rest into work and let my co-workers dig in.

My husband the human garbage disposal ended up eating the sausage rolls at least, haha. I took a bite as an afternoon snack but wasn't in the mood. Wasn't worth it.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Brother in law gives me $#!÷. He is generally naturally slim. Other than that, they get a little worried sometimes, but have generally gotten uses to it when they come over. Just the price to come to my house.. lol
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It's mostly just my husband who sees me use it and he doesn't care, but I get self conscious around others I don't know as well as I do worry it looks obsessive. I tend to just guess when lots of people are over since I have a good eye for it by now--like yesterday when my husband's parents were over. They're also the type to constantly keep asking me if I want food and seeming a bit annoyed when I say no, which I start finding stressful after awhile. My fridge is also now full of sausage rolls and cake that they bought and left, which I don't even want but also don't want to go to waste now they're gone. Grr.

Sometimes I wish I could bring it to other people's houses to measure out meals but I know I'd get some weird looks.

I believe that eating food you don't want or need is just as wasteful as throwing it in the garbage.

True, but I wish they'd not bought it so someone else could have it or take it back with them! I ended up having half a chocolate melt in the middle pot and it fit in my calories, so it worked out fine in the end.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Just tell them it helps you be mindful about what you’re eating. People often make comments about others’ habits because they are secretly wondering if they should be doing it, too but don’t want to make the effort. People are often threatened by things they don’t understand or which depart from their own habits. The problem is theirs and they should not be poking their noses into your business unless they are truly interested in learning about what you’re doing and why. So many people who are overweight try to feel better about themselves by trying to get others to eat more and thus “normalizing” their overeating.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @Susieq_1994 I lurve your answer. This is my secret hiding place. My family doesn't care about any of this. They absolutely can't handle listening to anymore blathering about what it takes to find stability with weight.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I was present at a social function where there was a passing conversation about eating disorders. One person there said that their daughter is a bodybuilder and weighs everything she eats to the gram. The others laughed or jeered about how dangerously obsessive that was. Thankfully my husband didn't mention that it was my custom as well.

I've heard this conversation, too, about someone dedicated to weightlifting weighing every gram that goes in their mouth. A couple times recently. I have not seen the comment met with jeers, though. Usually nods of admiration for the dedication... and the results. I think the results are key. No one in my fam can argue that I'm not fit and that whatever I'm doing is working, so I usually don't hear any negative comments. My family thinks I'm odd for any number of things, maybe not red flag level, but the scale is probably the least of it. ;) Also, I'm a better cook with the scale.
  • rcreynol3090
    rcreynol3090 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My wife and I use scales every day, every meal at home. Nobody comments anymore.
    @staticsplit, wife's mother (she's 86) often sends food home with us that she bought and decided she didn't like or want. If we don't want it (usual case), our flock of chickens get it, so isn't wasted.
  • John772016
    John772016 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Generally I get the 'why are you weighing you food, you already lost weight?' Most are fine once they realize I'm not trying to lose more (lost 110lbs). Honestly at this point in maintenance it's habit, I like seeing the data; whether I'm over/ under on a particular day doesn't matter too much compared to trends.
  • RobJVM
    RobJVM Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It would seem to me that anyone that has a problem with you weighing your food has a problem with your success, and not the scale. Ultimately it’s nobody’s business but yours.
  • sheloves89
    sheloves89 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The cultural differences others have mentioned here is interesting. =) I've always thought it was funny the way us Americans measure our food - why do we use volumes for dry ingredients? Makes no sense!!

I live by myself so there's nobody to judge me, but I do worry that I'll become obsessive. Some days I relax on the food scale usage just to make sure it isn't something I absolutely have to have in my life. =]
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I still get the occasional eye roll from my husband... "I thought you were done losing weight." Yeah I am.. but without the scale I'll just gain back what I lost! I'm done losing, I'm not done logging. He can roll his eyes til they fall out of his head, I'm not going to change my ways. He's gotta be used to it by now! I only use it at home, and not 100% of the time. But it's just become habit to me, pull out my scale and weigh out my serving and move on.