Read Weight Loss for Food Lovers?

Options
I'm just starting this book, "Weight Loss for Food Lovers: Understanding Our Minds", and find it terribly interesting and almost intuitive. The author talks about habits instead of self discipline. It's making sense to me that we cannot rely on self discipline but must create good habits that are harder to break than the bad habits that got us into these fat suits to begin with.

"Rather than trying to resist temptation, we are better off simply organizing our environment so that temptations are kept to a minimum – there will always be a few."

Supposedly later he will talk about eating whatever you want; not sure how that fits in yet.

Has anyone else read this?

Replies

• ConfidenceNMe
    Options
    No I haven't read it but it sounds like a good read. I may pick it up tomorrow...:smile:
  • mmoonstars
    mmoonstars Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    huh, sounds like it could be helpful, might see if it's at the library
  • twimom03
    twimom03 Posts: 19
    Options
    I have another book...Feeding the hungry Heart...That discusses the idea to eat what you want and when you want it. It basically teaches you that when you go on a "diet" and restrict yourself, you are in fact setting yourself up for failure; you will want every food that you think you can't have. When the temptation is too strong and wins (in which it most likely will at some point) you will over eat thinking that it will be your last time to have the food. If you give yourself permission to eat a cookie, a candy bar, or something else that is calling your name, you will be less likely to binge and will go right back to a healthier diet.
  • malvakai
    malvakai Posts: 32
    Options
    I have another book...Feeding the hungry Heart...That discusses the idea to eat what you want and when you want it. It basically teaches you that when you go on a "diet" and restrict yourself, you are in fact setting yourself up for failure; you will want every food that you think you can't have. When the temptation is too strong and wins (in which it most likely will at some point) you will over eat thinking that it will be your last time to have the food. If you give yourself permission to eat a cookie, a candy bar, or something else that is calling your name, you will be less likely to binge and will go right back to a healthier diet.

That's exactly the theme of this book, what did you think of yours? Did you read it all the way through? Would you reccomend it?
  • twimom03
    twimom03 Posts: 19
    Options
    I would recommend it...I did not read it all the way through since I'm in school full time..I never have time to read what I want...I skimmed through it and read the chapters that I thought would benefit me. It really helped me understand how our minds work. Although we're all different people and have various thought processes...we some how all think alike when it comes to dieting. We restrict ourselves and the book really tells us that this tactic will fail. This book helped me to know that I can have that stuff in moderation though. I would tell myself that I would eat better starting the next day and as soon as soon as I ate one "bad" thing...I would feast on every bad thing I could get my hands on..then the next day....and the next. I have now learned that just because I have one cookie....it does not ruin my day.
  • tryan1127
    tryan1127 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I actually bought the Food Lovers kit and have read most of the booklets and listened to the CD's.
    It is an excellent system for those that do not want to count calories or be on a terribly restrictive diet. The system does a good job of giving you the tools you need to get going and change your eating habits.
    In a nutshell, it teaches portion control and keeping your blood sugar even. You learn to eyeball your protein, fast carb, and slow carb portions to keep from storing a lot of fat. Of course via portion control by food type you are in a sense calorie counting, but it doesn't feel as restrictive.
    There's too much to it to cover here, but in my opinion it's a worthwhile purchase.