How many steps a day?

Options

Replies

• texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    6-12,000 all are "non-exercise" steps--just part of my life.
  • JB1775
    JB1775 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    All of them.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    aninya wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    Just curious how many steps do you do a day?

I do 30,000

30,000 everyday? how do you pull that off, active job?
    I aim for 8,000 min, usually get 7,000-16,000.

Nope I have a desk job I'm up at 5 to do a 57 minute kickboxing workout and I run to get to 12,000 before breakfast, I walk for my hour long lunch to get to my 20, 000, I get a few steps at work depending on the day maybe 1, 000 for the rest I walk once I get home at night unless I have dance class!

That’s an average of walking 15 miles a day! My husband is a chef on his feet all day and averages 15-20000 steps. He will hit 25000 on the days he runs instead of lifting after work. I can’t imagine consistently getting more than that, especially with a desk job. I have a desk job and average 8-9k. Twice a week I run before work and do Jazzercize for an hour after work (my double down days) and I get about 14k those days.
  • LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    30k is a lot, kudos on that! My personal daily goal is 15k, but my average so far this month is 21k. We’re in “omg it’s spring, it’s warm, let’s go outside FOREVER” mode right now - so it’s sort of artificially heightened due to that. A 15k daily goal feels really good to me normally though, it tends to be just enough of a stretch that it pushes me to find reasons to move.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Mon-Sat, at least 15k. On Sunday 's 9-12k.
  • SCoil123
    Options
    You all are inspiring me to up my game!
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

I do 30,000

How do you hit that many on a daily basis? That's around 15 miles of steps per day...

• GarysGirl81
    GarysGirl81 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    7elizamae wrote: »

I do 30,000

How do you hit that many on a daily basis? That's around 15 miles of steps per day...

7elizamae wrote: »

I do 30,000

Idk about the poster but before I transitioned into working from home I would get 10-15k a day at work alone (floor nurse on a busy unit). Then my hour long workout was step based, another 5-6k and if I went shopping that day lol. But 30k is wow on the regular. Now that I work from home I struggle to get 3-5k.
  • aninya
    aninya Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    tashanic2 wrote: »
    this post feels like a humblebrag. :/

It's not I was simply responding that it is possible you just have to make it work
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I aim for 20000 as a minimum, but 3 days a week I do over 30000 and on Sunday I did 70000 (I ran a marathon though, not a humble brag, a full on not at all humble brag)
  • SCoil123
    Options

It's not I was simply responding that it is possible you just have to make it work

I’m not sure everyone can make it work though and have it be good for them. I know for me it would require sacrificing sleep (I can’t walk by my house so I’d need to drive somewhere then come home to get kids to school before work) that I need and replacing my weight sessions with additional cardio which doesn’t align with my goals. Additionally it might not be physically possible for everyone.

I think it’s great it works for you and your goals. I just don’t want anyone coming here thinking it’s a competition or something they need to feel bad about if they cannot achieve it for any reason.

I want to increase my daily step goal personally to 12-15k and am inspired by this thread.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

There's no way I could make that work...I'd have to give up weight lifting and cycling and swimming. Besides walking my dog for a mile in the morning and getting up from my desk every hour, very little of my exercise is step based, and most of it is of higher intensity. Trying to work in that many steps for myself would be a very inefficient way of going about exercise.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,259 Member
    Options
    Usually well under 5000 in Winter, often only 3000-some. Maybe 6000ish in summer.

In year 3 of maintenance, maintaining on calories well over MFP's estimate, and reasonably fit despite low step counts, because all my exercise, including "cardio" (oh, how I dislike that term! ;) ), is non-step-based.

. . . . lest anyone have the misimpression that high steps counts are essential.

And in this thread, yes, that's a humblebrag. Heh. :drinker:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    In the winter, under 5000. sometimes closer to 3000. During the spring/summer/fall, usually around 8,000.
  • lawsonsaysread
    lawsonsaysread Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get in 10,000 non-exercise steps every day. I just want to be moving. Lately, I have been reading while I walk on my work breaks. I want more movement and more reading, so I have combined the two.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get in 10,000 non-exercise steps every day. I just want to be moving. Lately, I have been reading while I walk on my work breaks. I want more movement and more reading, so I have combined the two.

Just be careful! :lol:
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Not including intentional exercise, my normal daily step count is around 5k.

I have a mostly desk job. I need to work on getting my daily steps higher.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    10-15k