Keto, fun, but unsustainable

Options

Replies

• ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't try a cult diet.

Who says it's a "cult" diet? Pretty dismissive of a way of eating that many people find satisfying and sustainable, especially type 2 diabetics like me.
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    WillYammer wrote: »
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    Yeah, I wanted to give it at least 4 weeks. I really missed the carbs. Sweet potatoes, bananas, berries, tacos, and on and on. Hats off to anyone who can sustain keto!

There are SO many recipes that get you close to what you like. If you're not into experimenting (or lazy), keto is not for you. It's more of a lifestyle than a diet. What are you looking to do? Lose weight? If so, then low carbs, no sugar (all the things you mentioned are turned into sugar by our bodies) is the way to go.

I'm having fun with it. Turns out I like cooking up things that people can't believe are keto/low carb. Two months in and I'm halfway to my 3-inch waist reduction goal.

I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm not a great cook to begin with but I love being able to have almost anything I want and still keep it keto. This morning I had mug cake banana bread with grass fed butter, and I've also made a peanut butter mug cake with whipped cream. Not only were they delicious and satisfying, but they had zero impact on my blood sugar or the scale. Looking forward to trying more new things, like fathead pizza and biscuits and gravy.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I am embarking on the journey for the third time. I didn't do it right the first time, used low-carb cookbooks with weird ingredients the second time, and here I am a third time, with recipes on Pinterest. I just hope they work out, to let me lose weight. Many of the days on this Ketogenic Diet, do not have butter. Many of the items suggest you slather it in butter... For example coffee. Suggests 1 tablespoon of real butter. My mom thinks is the grossest thing to do to coffee. We'll see.

If this approach hasn't worked for you twice before, why are you trying it again? Why do you feel keto is a good fit for you if it hasn't offered you sustainable results in the past?
  • nhackel1
    nhackel1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    Yeah, I wanted to give it at least 4 weeks. I really missed the carbs. Sweet potatoes, bananas, berries, tacos, and on and on. Hats off to anyone who can sustain keto!

cant you just eat the tacos without the shell?! :)
  • WeighandPray
    WeighandPray Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    nhackel1 wrote: »
    cant you just eat the tacos without the shell?! :)

Sure, but isn't it like the old adage, a burger with no bun is just not fun?
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't try a cult diet.

Who says it's a "cult" diet? Pretty dismissive of a way of eating that many people find satisfying and sustainable, especially type 2 diabetics like me.

It is turning into a cult, which I can't stand. Anytime its in the media and every supplement company start try to make money off of it, it heads down the "cult" road.

However i'm willing to bet that 90-95% of the people on here claiming "I'm keto" are truly not in ketosis. They maybe think they are keto, but they are really low carb/high fat, which isn't bad per say. People just need to figure out what eating style works best for THEM and their lifestyle and stop looking for a quick fix.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Fun? Fun isn't something one considers when balancing scales, but carbs do put a smile on my face.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Over the years, I've been an experimenter testing the waters of various ways of eating. I did the low fat thing many moons ago, briefly played with the Mediterranean Diet 40-30-30 before losing interest, intermittent fasting and more recently OMAD. But, I've never tried Keto because knowing myself, it would be dead upon arrival. The comments by many who tried and abandoned ship confirms my choice of not giving it a try. But, I commend those who tried because they are better having had the experience. Self-discovery is a better teacher than reading some article or what some other person said.
  • bradleyhandelsman
    bradleyhandelsman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lol yea it’s tough. I’m on day 10 and have lost 5 of 30 so far but it’s challenging. I don’t like how much I think about food and what I can or can’t eat on this diet. I’m ocd so i overthink it.
    I can see this being more of a lifestyle and something that gives pride in away .
    For me it gives strict rules to follow instead of trusting myself to make my own🙄.
    I once I lose the 30 pounds I’m just gonna eat healthier but not Keto probably . But who knows .GL to all . I know I need it lol
  • Longshore
    Longshore Posts: 221 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options