Is there Proof?

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    If one reduces exercise or physical activity pretty significantly, the body will REDUCE the amount of water it stores because their will be LESS glycogen restoration and LESS muscle repair.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I keep 2 spreadsheets along with my weight loss app, my calorie app, and several exercise apps. Recently I looked at all my data for this year which was for most of the year so far. I was curious if there was any data that was absolute (like calories, protein) that would show why my weight loss was exceptional for January and February and crappy for March.

Calories were actually all over the place. Some weeks I adhered to my 1500 calorie goal, some weeks I ate at around 1800 calories and some weeks were at maintenance. So that really didn't align with my losses at all. Actually when I had good adherance I didn't necessarily have a good loss that week or the week after. I also looked at protein levels, which varied between lower 70s to over 100 for weekly averages. Nothing there. Finally I checked out my exercise data. That didn't correlate at all to my good losses or slow losses. But I wasn't surprised there because I usually eat every single earned calorie.

Maybe I don't have enough data to come to any conclusions. But one thing I did realize is that I thought I had water weight masking a month of pretty crappy losses. And when 3 pounds fell off last week I realized it must have been true. (I'm premenopausal and hadn't had a period for 3 months and didn't know when it would happen. Period came, weight fell off.)

Looking at my data kinda drives me crazy because I very much want to see the patterns, but there just doesn't seem to be any. Except for one. The weeks that I ate at maintenance I didn't lose weight except for maybe .02 of a pound. I've had several maintenance weeks this year and never have losses, but that could also be masked by water gain and just having more food in digestive track.

If my maintenance calories have been correct, and who really knows actually?
    I gain a lot of exercise calories which could be throwing off all of this data. Then my general deficit has been only on average 400-100 per day this year. I have lost 21 pounds this year which is over 1 pound per week. My deficit ≠ my losses.

Conclusion: I have no *kitten* clue whatsoever. Lol. But something is working right so I'm gonna keep on eating at a deficit.

But you DO have a clue.

You have the clue that your purported deficit based on your food and exercise logging was 100,000 Calories (or whatever it was)

But that your deficit according to your weight trend (and I would use weight trend rather than scale weight though over the course of a year they will be very close) was 21*3500=73,500 Calories approximately.

So your "error" was about 26,500 Calories

Out of, the say, 250,000 you thought you had spent.

So it was, for this example, 10.6% of your TDEE

So now you would know that you only burn 90% of what you think you burn.

Or, conversely, that you underlog your calories in by 12% (or whatever that works out to) or a combination of the two.

But knowing this is the case is enough to guide you so that you can adjust your deficit or eat back.

Or, frankly, not worry too much about it since you're getting the results you want!!!! :)
  • jakea1963
    jakea1963 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I find all of these experiences very interesting and it helps to know that sometimes there just isn’t an easy answer. I think it comes down to the fact that each person burns calories different. I also think macros matter a ton. In that some people can burn carbs and others have trouble. Talking refinded carbs there. They seem to give me problems except in small doses.

I need to go back all of my data and see what my true burn rate seems to be. That is assuming my calorie logging is correct which I think it’s very close. Years ago I know there was a way to download all of that into a spreadsheet.