Meal Prepping Sucks

Options
Kandi150
Kandi150 Posts: 167 Member
And I'm only one week in 🤦‍♀️.... Hey all, back at this weight loss journey after a very long hiatus. The diet part isnt bothering so much as the planning and prepping... That's a lot of work! I plan & prep meals for both my husband and myself. I feel like all I think about is what can I cook, what fits our macros, what can be prepared ahead of time and not taste like garbage when reheated. All this while also keeping my one year old fed, entertained and feeling loved 🥰 lol. I'm sure I'll push through. Just needed to rant in a forum where I'm sure some could relate and maybe get some tips on how you've made meal prep suck just a little bit less. We are Keto, which I'm seeing isnt very popular here but it's what works for us so you can save any lectures 😎. I say "I'm seeing" when in reality I've only checked out a couple of individual post so I could be jumping the gun there 🤷‍♀️..... Anywho, how do you get over the meal prepping blues? Or am I just being lazy? .....dont answer that last part 🤣

Replies

• maryannholder77
    maryannholder77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I fully believe meal prepping is a wonderful tool, especially when tracking macros. It does get easier. Are you prepping for the entire week or breaking it up to prepping twice a week? I found planning/prepping twice a week much easier for me to handle and works much better with my schedule. Like anything new, it takes time to create the habit and get used to it. I now find that the prepping may take an hour or so, but saves me more than that when getting ready to cook for the evening.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy meal prep, not because of the specific task, but because I know how much time it will be saving me the rest of the week.

I follow a Keto diet but the rest of my family doesn't, but that doesn't really complicate things. I just prep things like meat and veggies and then add a starchy side (or sometimes not) with their meals. I do spend about 4hrs on Sunday shopping and cooking/prepping, but working a 40hr/week job with a 3hr round trip commute, I'd rather spend that time on Sunday than during the week.

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    My take on it is, you have to do it daily or however many times, and meals, you have to prep for anyway. Why not get as much of it done at a time as is practical, and works into our schedules, as possible. I like to cook though, so it’s not a chore for me. There are many, many dishes that are better after the first day. In the long run, prepping and freezing individual portions saves time in the long run.
  • egbert2016
    egbert2016 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I tried keto for a little while. I found it very helpful to make and freeze a variety of casseroles to use for dinners. I froze them in foil trays from the dollar store then labelled the top with the calories and macros and cooking instructions. From there, you just take one out in the morning and put it in your fridge so it's semi-defrosted and ready to bake when you get home from work.

There's a blog called ibreatheimhungry that has a lot of great cauliflower-based keto casseroles. I switched it up and used different bases sometimes; zoodles, broccoli rice, spaghetti squash, etc.

Each time I made a recipe, I would triple or quadruple it and freeze them. Eventually I had a freezer full of different varieries. I made my containers large enough that I had enough portions for dinner and then leftovers for lunch the next day.

I dabble in meal-prepping and find that it's a great tool for weight loss and also for time management. It helps to find a few good blogs and to start with just one meal a day or just with snacks. For me, dinner is the most hectic time of day so that's where I focused my energy. Check out fitmencook and organizeyourselfskinny. Both are good resources for recipes and strategies.

Good luck to you! Your husband is a lucky guy to have a personal chef!!
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I think after a while it just becomes second nature, you mentioned it's only been 1 week.

I've been meal prepping (just breakfasts & lunches for myself) for over a year now, and it's helped me a lot! During the week I figure out what I want for the next week and make up my shopping list (along with everything else I'll need for dinners, my husband and daughter etc). Everyone knows Sunday is my prep day.. I need 1-2 hours to myself in the kitchen to get things done. Sometimes it's only 30 minutes, all depends on what I'm making. I get things done and then I'm set for the week! No thinking each morning what to pack or grabbing take out at the last minute. I've come to really enjoy prepping and will continue to do it. I'm not doing keto, and I don't have any other restrictions so I can really do anything under the sun I want!
  • skullsandskeletons
    skullsandskeletons Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy cooking and meal prepping so can't relate. However, I have a friend who invites other friends over to her house on Sunday afternoons; each person brings different foods and their own plastic containers. The group shares the chore of prepping as well as the food and everybody wins.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You don't need to meal prep. I never really have to much extent other than sometimes I will grill up some chicken for lunches for the week for my wife (takes like 15-20 minutes) and I and she'll make a big batch of quinoa for the week sometimes. Then we just grab whatever veg we want on a particular day. Otherwise, lunches are usually leftovers from the night before or a sandwich for me. Breakfast I usually alternate between eggs and oats...pretty easy.

I think a lot of people overthink this...and honestly people do way too much hand wringing over macros.
  • avlucia
    avlucia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I feel you, I try to make mine as simple as possible. Make a few chicken breasts with different sauces, throw some in with pasta, eat the others with whatever frozen veggies I feel at them time. That's about as complicated as I can be bothered with. I find the hardest part is getting bored with whatever I've made and things going bad. Chili is a good one cause I can make that in bulk and freeze it in individual portions for when I'm sick of whatever I made that week. Probably do that with soups but I'm not personally a fan of soups.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I always cook enough for 2 or 3 (sometimes even more) meals even if I have to double the recipe. That way I have enough for a couple of dinners and even a couple of lunches. I do a lot of roasted vegetables and always do a big tray. It takes very little extra time since I already am prepping.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You don't need to meal prep. I never really have to much extent other than sometimes I will grill up some chicken for lunches for the week for my wife (takes like 15-20 minutes) and I and she'll make a big batch of quinoa for the week sometimes. Then we just grab whatever veg we want on a particular day. Otherwise, lunches are usually leftovers from the night before or a sandwich for me. Breakfast I usually alternate between eggs and oats...pretty easy.

I think a lot of people overthink this...and honestly people do way too much hand wringing over macros.

I agree with all of this. Don't do something that's making you miserable. You should be in this for the long haul.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I've seen some people do buffet style meal prep where they batch prep huge portions of a protein (do chicken in several types of marinades to keep it varied and interesting), one grain or starch (quinoa, potatoes, rice, etc) and veggies. They usually have one or two options of each, but you could simply prepare one of each and keep it handy for the day you want to eat it.
  • mammacoty
    mammacoty Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Meal prepping is very time consuming, for sure! But I have discovered that I do so much better staying the course if I have prepped and planned my meals & snacks out ahead of time. I don't do well in the heat of the moment for making the best food decisions
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I eat easy to make stuff so I only meal prep chicken. I bake a few breasts at a time for the week.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I only prep the stuff that takes a lot of time to prepare and cook. Stuff like pasta, quinoa and steamed veggies don’t takethat much time so I just spend 15 minutes cooking them while nuking my meat.