Hips and Glutes

Options
Hey Everyone!

I'm posting in hopes of getting some suggestions. I've always struggled toning my hips and glutes. I've got love handles that I've never been able to really get rid of. These are the final things I really want to work on. Know any exercises that will help? Pinterest isn't cutting it.

For reference I've included a little about me:
Very active, weightlifting (lower weight for reps rather than heavier weight), cardio (3ish days a week), and has a consistent healthy lifestyle for food. Less than 50 carbs a day.

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. If you want to work your hips and glutes, I recommend Strong Curves. But the pounds will come off where they come off. Working out a specific area won't change that.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Wanna tone that booty.. gotta do good mornings, hip thrust, rdls... people are right no such thing as spot reduction.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Exercise your compliance to a average caloric deficit to ensure fat loss. If your goal is to lose love handles, then focus on your diet with a reasonable deficit and have patience. Adjust your caloric intake once the weight loss stalls for 2-3 weeks and continue.

I highly suggest you find a program that incorporates the entire body. Focusing on one area while eating in a deficit means loss of musculature mass in other areas is more likely to happen. I've yet to meet a person that did a complete body workout that regretted it afterwards. I meet several hundred people on average every year that are disappointed with results because they focused on certain areas without proper stimulus for the entire body.

Lighter or heavy weights is really arbitrary if not defined by progression in a well written program.

When a lifter squats 425lbs for sets of 6 reps or tempo squats 290 for sets of 12 the very last rep of each set feels literally just as heavy. Volume and fatigue within programming that helps define each weight along with the purpose of doing so. In the end it's long term progression hopefully.

So saying "I lift low weight for reps rather than heavier weights" isn't really very descriptive as saying...

I hip thrust 225lbs 4 sets of 12-15 reps with about two or maybe three left in the tank each set with 2-3 min breaks.

Chances are if you are "winging it" or running a extremely sub optimal type of program and the weights feels light at the end of your sets, there more than likely is a issue with your programming that would benefit from a change.

Something to think about.

I hope you find your answers :smile: .