But what if I did, a marathon story

Options
firef1y72
firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
This is not a humble brag, this is an all out brag, but hopefully it will help inspire someone who is where I was 3.5 years ago. Marathons aren't for everyone, but there is always something that is challenging that we want to do but are scared of trying.

So the story of my Brighton Marathon 2019. I guess it started in November 2016 when I finally stepped on the scales and was shocked to discover I weighed 290lb, although I guess it shouldn't have been too much of a shock, I struggled to fit in size UK28 clothes and needed crutches to walk across the room. Long story short, I decided it was time to do something about it and over the next 20 months lost a total of 10 stone, simply by eating less and moving more. Along the way I discovered a love of exercise in general and running and weight training in particular.

My first ever race was a Race for Life 5k, which I probably walked 3/4, and completed in around an hour. It was enough for me to catch the bug and a 10k soon followed, I still walked more than I ran but that took me 1:34. Next I did a trail half, by now i was running as much as i was walking and that took me 3:50. Then a did a chipped half, and surprised myself by running the first 20km without stopping in 2:43 I took almost an hour off my half time that day. And that was the day that I realised that I may not be fast, but I can actually do this running business and I was well and truly hooked.

Next thing I knew I had entered Brighton marathon 2018, and the training in earnest began. My training plan only took me to 16miles and if I'm honest the marathon was the hardest thing I had ever done, I'd go as far as saying it broke me. But I didn't let it stop me enjoying running, as soon as entries opened I entered again for 2019.

This time around i was much more serious about my training, I'm still not fast by most peoples standards but i followed a modified intermediate/advanced plan that took me to 22miles. This year I was more prepared, I also went in to the race with a definite plan.

I started out looking on it as two half, and concentrated on the first half, the plan was to run continuously for as long as I could at around 11:30-12:00 miles, with every mile I did quicker than the 13:30 I needed for a 6hr finish, being time in the bank for the second half. I knew that first half was virtually all uphill, but I'd also done a lot of hill training just for that reason. I took each hill steadily, comparing them to hills I've conquered in training, so I knew I could get to the top. I did get annoyed at other people at this point, ok if you need to walk the hill, walk it, but move to the side, don't just stop dead in a group.
Anyway I ran that first half, and in a very respectable time, my third fastest half and faster than I did colchester half.

On to the second half and this is where it started getting harder, I wish I could have kept the pace up. I got a message at this point telling me that I was on for a 5:30 finish, only I knew I was tiring and it was time to start adding walk intervals and breaking the 13 miles down in to smaller chunks. So I started running park runs in my head, working in 3 mile chunks. I was still coping well at this point, I wasnt walking in every walk interval, maybe for 2 out of 3. It was at this point I realised I hadn't taken on any fuel, and remembered the nakd bars in my little pouch.

First parkrun done and only 10 miles to go, i had slowed but was still well on target to break the 6hrs. Then i hit the wall, big style, i just wanted to sit down and cry, I started walking through my run intervals, but kept going forward, despite coming up with every excuse going, including cramp in my foot. And someone noticed my pace had dropped, and gave me the virtual kick up the bum via a text, and I didn't dare say I can't, because I swear she would have video called me and made me do ten burpees.

Kick up bum duly taken, i restarted running through every run interval, not fast running, but running. Everything was hurting, but the wall had been kicked out of the way and my pace picked back up, not quite as fast as before hitting the wall, but getting there.

Another park run done and all of a sudden I only had 6 miles to go, and OMG I had 1.5 hours to do them in. A quick calculation, and I knew than as long as I did each of those miles in less than 15 minutes I was going to smash it. So I started to live in the mile, literally all that mattered was that I completed each mile in less than 15mins. Before I knew it I had 3 miles to go and yes, I was not only still on track but had banked another few minutes. Suddenly the pain didn't matter I knew that I had done something amazing and so I carried on making sure that I did each mile in less than the 15 minutes, now living in each run interval until I got to the 26 mile marker.

That last 0.2 miles was the most horrific last year, last year I was crying in relief. This year I was determined that I wasn't going to shuffle over the line, I was going to run and I even attempted to sprint. It wasn't the most convincing of sprints but it was a burst of speed and I did run over the line, tears streaming down my face, crying not because of the pain, but because I had looked at my watch just before I started my sprint attempt and knew all the hard work of the last four months had paid off I had taken 40 minutes off of last years time, but more importantly I had smashed the 6hours and had really given my all and done the best that I possibly could.

mos6a2h3sxsy.jpg

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You are amazing, @firef1y72! Congratulations!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    well done :)
  • lemonwater1
    lemonwater1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What a huge accomplishment! Great job!!
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Congrats! 👏👏👏 Amazing accomplishment!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Amazing job!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Bravo! Thanks for sharing your story. I hope it inspires many to discover what can be accomplished when one is determined. Fantastic job!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    That is so freaking amazing. Ever since I was the kid, I've loved watching the Iron Man on TV. That race, like your marathon is so much more about mental toughness and determination than it is physical. Seeing people realize what they can achieve when they put their minds to it and give it their all brings tears to my eyes. Well done you!!!!
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Lovely story!! You rock!
  • Non_Entity
    Non_Entity Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is AWESOME!!
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    So inspiring! Toying with the idea of a full right now...you are awesome.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    As I know from other threads, you work so hard and so consistently at your fitness . . . and now look how grandly that's paid off! Go, you: Admiration!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. If anyone had told me even 2 years ago that I would have run a marathon I'd have laughed in their faces. But here I am a week after my 2nd with a week to go until my 3rd (then I am taking a year off marathon distance unless I get a ballot place for London next year)
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Loved this post. So inspiring!! Great job
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Amazing story. Very inspiring.
  • suefitnessaccount
    suefitnessaccount Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story! I'm a similar age and ran a half a couple of years back (which exhausted me for days) - one of my life's ambitions is to complete a marathon and your story makes it feel possible :smiley:
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Very nice! Well done you. I trust you've signed up to the next two already :)

I ran London also this year - wasn't it an incredible atmosphere? That crowd support is something else.

I'm sure you've learnt a lot from that experience. I'll bet you will be sub 5 hours next year......go for it.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    That's amazing, @firef1y72 ! You must be so proud, such fantastic accomplishment. Thank you for posting your story!
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are absolutely amazing! Well done :smile: