Starting saxenda tomorrow

Options
How are the people who started in 2019 doing?

Replies

• DeeZaster
    DeeZaster Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just started it. On day 4. It does the job of suppressing appetite very well. I went to McDonald's to get my kids something on the way to their dance practice, and I wasn't tempted to order anything for myself besides a coffee. The food smelled delicious but I had no desire to eat any. That was miraculous for me.
    The injections are simple and painless but I've been feeling so jittery. Like, an adrenaline rush.. this causing me to feel very anxious and nauseated. I haven't thrown up but I feel like I might at some point.
    And then there's the fatigue. I napped 4 hours today, 5 yesterday... Just can't seem to stay awake. I'm so lucky I have an older child to help with the little ones because I just get to a point where I literally can't keep my eyes open. Once I wake up it's back to feeling jittery. It's like I'm on drugs. But this is just a hormone. How or why do I feel like this I ask myself. I try to tell myself it's in my head and just hope as time goes on these affects will wear off.
    I don't want to quit the Saxenda. I need to lose weight and I need help kick starting it. But not being able to properly care for my kids and feeling messed up might be the straw that breaks the camels back if it doesn't change in the next week or 2.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    https://www.saxenda.com/learn-about-saxenda/side-effects.html?campaign=000870211&modal=isi&gclid=CPjjsZj8kMsCFVAvgQodg-MHcg

The most common Saxenda® side effects are:
    nausea
    hypoglycemia
    diarrhea
    constipation
    vomiting
    headache
    decreased appetite
    dyspepsia
    fatigue
    dizziness
    abdominal pain
    increased lipase

I had no idea what it was so I looked it up. Doesn't sound pleasant. I hope it works for you if you have to possibly go through all that.
  • DeeZaster
    DeeZaster Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How's it going for you?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    DeeZaster wrote: »
    Just started it. On day 4. It does the job of suppressing appetite very well. I went to McDonald's to get my kids something on the way to their dance practice, and I wasn't tempted to order anything for myself besides a coffee. The food smelled delicious but I had no desire to eat any. That was miraculous for me.
    The injections are simple and painless but I've been feeling so jittery. Like, an adrenaline rush.. this causing me to feel very anxious and nauseated. I haven't thrown up but I feel like I might at some point.
    And then there's the fatigue. I napped 4 hours today, 5 yesterday... Just can't seem to stay awake. I'm so lucky I have an older child to help with the little ones because I just get to a point where I literally can't keep my eyes open. Once I wake up it's back to feeling jittery. It's like I'm on drugs. But this is just a hormone. How or why do I feel like this I ask myself. I try to tell myself it's in my head and just hope as time goes on these affects will wear off.
    I don't want to quit the Saxenda. I need to lose weight and I need help kick starting it. But not being able to properly care for my kids and feeling messed up might be the straw that breaks the camels back if it doesn't change in the next week or 2.

What are you going to do when you get to goal and get off the meds?

Want to kick-start weight loss? Reasonable deficit and good tracking. While it helps with weight loss a study also noted that patients regained when they came off it. I hope the effects eventually wear off for you but imo I'd have stopped taking it by this point.
  • Mel9161
    Mel9161 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Has anyone used Saxenda as a "kick-start"?

Been toying with the idea of trying it but am concerned about side effects. I suffer from depression and have some kidney "issues" and although my doctor says not to be concerned........ I am. I have a 2-week sample from the doctor that comes with a discount card (which is great because according to my insurance company, it will run me $600/month).

So I was thinking of using it for 6 weeks (the 2-week freebie plus the 1-month at discount) and joining Weight Watchers at the same time to help me LEARN how to eat.

I am obese at this point (5'6" and 210 lbs) so I thought if I could just shrink my appetite a bit for a few weeks while dealing with the nutritional and psychological aspects through WW (plan on doing the meetings), I might actually have some success.

So, has anyone used it for a short period of time and had success? Is there a weaning process? Any input AT ALL would be so much appreciated.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Mel9161 wrote: »

Been toying with the idea of trying it but am concerned about side effects. I suffer from depression and have some kidney "issues" and although my doctor says not to be concerned........ I am. I have a 2-week sample from the doctor that comes with a discount card (which is great because according to my insurance company, it will run me $600/month).

So I was thinking of using it for 6 weeks (the 2-week freebie plus the 1-month at discount) and joining Weight Watchers at the same time to help me LEARN how to eat.

I am obese at this point (5'6" and 210 lbs) so I thought if I could just shrink my appetite a bit for a few weeks while dealing with the nutritional and psychological aspects through WW (plan on doing the meetings), I might actually have some success.

So, has anyone used it for a short period of time and had success? Is there a weaning process? Any input AT ALL would be so much appreciated.

IMO the side effects make it very much not worth it, especially for a temporary fix.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    $600 a month? I lost 16lbs in six weeks and all I bought was lean meats, vegetables, fruits, yogurt and a few frozen dinners. $600 would have more than paid for all of the food that I bought.

There were times that out of habit I wanted more but that is where the fruit came in. When I had cravings I ate the little Halo mandarins. They kept me occupied peeling and eating the little sections. If by some reason my craving wouldn't go away I popped a low calorie frozen dinner in the microwave about mid-afternoon.

Even if it was only a couple of hundred a month the side effects that I posted above would be enough to scare me.

You will have to deal with your appetite eventually unless you take those pills for life. Why not do it now?
  • Annie_01
    edited April 2019
    Options
    There is no way that I would voluntarily give up the ability to care for my children (essentially putting their safety at risk) to lose a few pounds. That seems asinine to me.

I agree. I can't imagine having to depend on an older child to watch the little ones because of some pill or shot I took to lose a little weight...especially not being able to function if something went wrong.
  • halloweenbaby58
    halloweenbaby58 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel I am doing very well! 8 pounds in three weeks is enough to start feeling good about this. I too am feeling tired, but didn’t think to link it to saxenda.... cup of coffee and back to work! I’m sure if I loose 50 pounds it will be easier to get around!
  • J40Duncan
    J40Duncan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I thought about taking this as well but the cost was too much for me. You can do 8 pounds in three weeks naturally as well. I use fitness pal and my fitbit together and it works well! adding exercise or even a daily walk will help too.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    https://www.saxenda.com/learn-about-saxenda/side-effects.html?campaign=000870211&modal=isi&gclid=CPjjsZj8kMsCFVAvgQodg-MHcg

nausea
    hypoglycemia
    diarrhea
    constipation
    vomiting
    headache
    decreased appetite
    dyspepsia
    fatigue
    dizziness
    abdominal pain
    increased lipase

I had no idea what it was so I looked it up. Doesn't sound pleasant. I hope it works for you if you have to possibly go through all that.

I think a requirement of side effects is that they are things that are not pleasant.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    DeeZaster wrote: »
    And then there's the fatigue. I napped 4 hours today, 5 yesterday... Just can't seem to stay awake. I'm so lucky I have an older child to help with the little ones because I just get to a point where I literally can't keep my eyes open. Once I wake up it's back to feeling jittery. It's like I'm on drugs.
    But this is just a hormone. How or why do I feel like this I ask myself. I try to tell myself it's in my head and just hope as time goes on these affects will wear off.

This sounds awful.

So you are jittery which means your heart is probably being affected/racing. You're anxious and nauseated and you are so fatigued that you sleep 4/5hours during the day. In fact so fatigued that you are unable to take care of your little ones on your own.

You say you feel like you are on drugs. Well you are certainly acting like you are on drugs. Those side affects would have me running to my doctor, that stuff is scary.

Has this been prescribed by your doctor? Only if not then you really have no idea what you are injecting into your body. Also it is not known how safe it is when mixed with over the counter medications or herbal remedies so you need to be very careful if you are taking anything else alongside it.

Your kids need you alive, awake and healthy to take care of them. Please re-think this strategy and maybe try a more healthy and less risky way to lose the weight.

• manderson27
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

nausea
    hypoglycemia
    diarrhea
    constipation
    vomiting
    headache
    decreased appetite
    dyspepsia
    fatigue
    dizziness
    abdominal pain
    increased lipase

I think a requirement of side effects is that they are things that are not pleasant.

They have decreased appetite as a side affect? I thought that was the main reason to take it. Colour me confused now. :/
  • manderson27
    Options
    Mel9161 wrote: »

Looking on the website I am surprised that your doctor would consider this for you with your history of kidney problems and depression due to the side affects. The below is from the saxenda website. I have deleted all the other scary stuff.

What are the possible side effects of Saxenda®?
    when taking Saxenda

kidney problems (kidney failure). Saxenda® may cause nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea leading to loss of fluids (dehydration). Dehydration may cause kidney failure, which can lead to the need for dialysis. This can happen in people who have never had kidney problems before. Drinking plenty of fluids may reduce your chance of dehydration. Call your health care provider right away if you have nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea that does not go away, or if you cannot drink liquids by mouth

depression or thoughts of suicide. You should pay attention to any mental changes, especially sudden changes, in your mood, behaviors, thoughts, or feelings. Call your health care provider right away if you have any mental changes that are new, worse, or worry you

Personally I would not risk it. Why not just use MFP log all your food and keep to your calorie goal for six weeks and see how that works before risking your health.