Anemia and iron levels

FL_Hiker
FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
edited April 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Hi y’all,
This community has never let me down and has always been so knowledgeable so I thought I’d ask here! I’ve been through a lot lately with my fathers health declining and dealing with that stress and you all had some great advice. I’m now dealing with my own personal issues... I just recently got my bloodwork done and my Ferratin level was 9 (range was like 15-152 something like that?). I’ve had low iron in the past but not quite this low. My doctor wants to do further testing she thinks something else is wrong and told me NOT to take iron supplements until further testing is done... I’m curious if others have been anemic how did it make you feel? My memory is getting really bad... today I forgot my husbands birthday and how to spell his name when asked at the doctors.. I broke down crying on the way home. I’ve never experienced anything like this, usually my memory is superb. I’m suffering here and I can’t take anything to make it better yet. Did you have memory problems when you were anemic? I’m also not a vegetarian, I eat plenty of meat.... I’m wondering if it’s the anemia causing my memory loss or perhaps just the stress of my dads recent health issues and the added responsibilities. Otherwise I still feel really healthy, I’m still running well and feel pretty good. Besides the memory loss I’ve had some left arm numbness, and heart palpitations. Going back to the doctors this week.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    pinuplove wrote: »
    When my ferritin was 5 (normal range of 10-154), other than being tired all the time (go figure!), I didn't have any symptoms I could put my finger on. I do have memory lapses and emotional events like you described when I'm very stressed.

Your doctor obviously knows more about your situation than we do, so please continue working with her. I hope things with your dad's and your own health improve soon.

Interesting, thanks! If you don’t mind me asking.. Did you start taking supplemental iron? Did you immediately start feeling better once you were on it or did it take some time?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited April 2019
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    When my ferritin was 5 (normal range of 10-154), other than being tired all the time (go figure!), I didn't have any symptoms I could put my finger on. I do have memory lapses and emotional events like you described when I'm very stressed.

Your doctor obviously knows more about your situation than we do, so please continue working with her. I hope things with your dad's and your own health improve soon.

Interesting, thanks! If you don’t mind me asking.. Did you start taking supplemental iron? Did you immediately start feeling better once you were on it or did it take some time?

My doctor did advise me to start taking an iron supplement. I'm...not the best about it because I find iron supplements (I've tried several) unpleasant and hard on my digestive system. It's been almost 6 months, so when I get retested soon, I guess I'll see if my hit and miss method of taking it actually did any good. If not, I'll have to be better about taking them.

I am feeling better now, but I suspect spring has more to do with that than iron. I was more diligent about taking it the first month or two but didn't notice a huge improvement overnight or anything.
  • pinuplove
    Do you happen to know what your iron total was? Even though my ferritin was low, my iron total was juuuust above the bottom threshold of normal (43 with a range of 40-190).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    Everybody is different. I find it difficult to lift up my feet when my ferritin drops below 28ish and I'm out of breath very quickly. You do get used to low iron levels if it's ongoing for too long, thus it doesn't feel quite as bad. Your body is still suffering though. At a level of 5 you should probably have gotten iron infusions. Iron supplements: something like spatone is useless is fighting anemia as the iron dose is far too low. With 3 high dose iron tablets it takes about 6-8 weeks to get my iron levels from 28 or about 35. So there's no quick fix.
  • pinuplove
    edited April 2019
    @yirara Interesting. My doctor didn't act like it was a big deal, just "You should probably start taking an iron supplement."

ETA you're referencing ferritin levels in your post, right? Or total iron?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    @yirara Interesting. My doctor didn't act like it was a big deal, just "You should probably start taking an iron supplement."

That's what I was wondering as well. Iron level of 5 would be half dead, unless it's an odd unit I never heard of. But yeah, there's just one unit for ferritin, and 9 IS very low. 5 is immediate iron infusion low.
  • pinuplove
    yirara wrote: »

That's what I was wondering as well. Iron level of 5 would be half dead, unless it's an odd unit I never heard of. But yeah, there's just one unit for ferritin, and 9 IS very low. 5 is immediate iron infusion low.

I think I'll go take my iron supplement :fearful:
  • FL_Hiker
    edited April 2019
    Do you happen to know what your iron total was? Even though my ferritin was low, my iron total was juuuust above the bottom threshold of normal (43 with a range of 40-190).

My total iron was 66. I wonder what that means? I find it strange with such a low ferratin level my doctor told me absolutely do not take an iron supplement...
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member

Ten years ago my iron level was 2, that’s not a typo. I felt really really really tired all the time and looked quite pale but those were the only symptoms so my doctor had me take a supplement instead of an infusion. My anemia is due to extremely heavy periods I’ve had all my life. No matter how much iron is in my diet and with optimal supplemental iron pills I can barely keep it around 12, but at this level now I feel normal, no energy issues (and I’m a runner) so doc says I’m ok. My doctor recommended a brand called VitronC to avoid stomach upset and it works for me, I take mine in the morning on an empty stomach an hour before eating anything and I don’t have tummy issues. Listen to your doctor and follow instructions because they know your personal history and test results and we are simply internet strangers, all we can offer is our personal experiences. If you have questions, send your doc an email and ask them why they recommend waiting to supplement, what tests are they going to run? Sounds like there needs to be clearer communication between doc & patient. OP hope you figure it out and feel better soon! :)
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    I have read some articles about the relationship between running and iron levels, something to do with the impact of the foot strike damaging the red blood cells or something. You’d have to google it to see the details but I remember both articles were basically warning women about the potential of running to contribute to low iron levels.
    You might like to take a read and see how relevant it is for you.

Here’s one article and it references the foot-strike haemolysis:
    https://womensrunninguk.co.uk/health/suffering-iron-deficiency/
  • FL_Hiker
    edited April 2019
    sarabushby wrote: »
    I have read some articles about the relationship between running and iron levels, something to do with the impact of the foot strike damaging the red blood cells or something. You’d have to google it to see the details but I remember both articles were basically warning women about the potential of running to contribute to low iron levels.

That’s what I thought too!!!!! I asked my Dr if that could be the cause and she basically shot down the idea saying it was not possible. I think she’s a very good Dr and trust her opinion. Just a waiting game I guess for the rest of the tests but I’m really curious about all this and why she may be speculating. I was way too out of it at the time to ask questions. She may have also already explained it but my memory is shot right now... I’m having a difficult time remembering simple things.
  • pinuplove
    sarabushby wrote: »

That’s what I thought too!!!!! I asked my Dr if that could be the cause and she basically shot down the idea saying it was not possible. I think she’s a very good Dr and trust her opinion. Just a waiting game I guess for the rest of the tests but I’m really curious about all this and why she may be speculating. I was way too out of it at the time to ask questions.

I'm curious as well, especially about why she didn't seem to think supplementing would help. Please update when you find out if you don't mind and remember :smile:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Hi y’all,
    This community has never let me down and has always been so knowledgeable so I thought I’d ask here! I’ve been through a lot lately with my fathers health declining and dealing with that stress and you all had some great advice. I’m now dealing with my own personal issues... I just recently got my bloodwork done and my Ferratin level was 9 (range was like 15-152 something like that?). I’ve had low iron in the past but not quite this low. My doctor wants to do further testing she thinks something else is wrong and told me NOT to take iron supplements until further testing is done... I’m curious if others have been anemic how did it make you feel? My memory is getting really bad... today I forgot my husbands birthday and how to spell his name when asked at the doctors.. I broke down crying on the way home. I’ve never experienced anything like this, usually my memory is superb. I’m suffering here and I can’t take anything to make it better yet. Did you have memory problems when you were anemic? I’m also not a vegetarian, I eat plenty of meat.... I’m wondering if it’s the anemia causing my memory loss or perhaps just the stress of my dads recent health issues and the added responsibilities. Otherwise I still feel really healthy, I’m still running well and feel pretty good. Besides the memory loss I’ve had some left arm numbness, and heart palpitations. Going back to the doctors this week.
    Thanks for your thoughts!

Sure, one time my iron got way out of whack and I got written up at work from making so many mistakes. And I hated my life. I was taking iron supplements at the time, but there are many forms of iron and I needed to find the one that worked for me, which was neither of the two forms I originally got from the VA.

I got out of whack again a few years ago and was having heart palpitations. In consultation with my doctors, I doubled my iron supplement and started taking a beta blocker and they went away.

I am currently taking iron bisglycinate. This doesn't give me the constipation or upset stomach side effects that other forms of iron can cause.

Iron rich foods: https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/blood-donation-process/before-during-after/iron-blood-donation/iron-rich-foods.html (I discount foods that were fortified with iron as presumably the food manufacturers use cheap and potentially ineffective forms of iron.)

When I'm menstruating I eat Wellshire Liverwurst; 2 oz = 35% RDA iron. If I can't make it to Whole Foods I get Boar's Head Liverwurst, 2 oz = 25% RDA iron.

(For people who want more iron but don't like liver - neither do I; can't stand the stuff, but I do like liverwurst. Wellshire also makes turkey liverwurst. Less iron, but also less fat and calories. Last I checked this brand was exclusive to Whole Foods.

I'm going to try making chicken liver pate one of these times.

I also mix 1 T of blackstrap molasses into a cup of warm water every morning. That gives me 20% RDA. Here's what I order https://smile.amazon.com/Wholesome-Sweeteners-Organic-Molasses-Pack/dp/B001M0G2PO/ but caution - this brand can leak, so best to not get anything else with that order. It was the cheapest, so I continued to put up with it. (Plus last time Amazon just credited me for the whole thing.) However, I see the price has almost doubled since I last ordered so maybe try to get locally instead. Old price was $21 for three 32 oz bottles.

Vitamin C helps with iron absorption and I mix powdered, buffered vitamin C into the molasses "tea" to create a dreadful concoction. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I4AIUA/
  • FL_Hiker

Ten years ago my iron level was 2, that’s not a typo. I felt really really really tired all the time and looked quite pale but those were the only symptoms so my doctor had me take a supplement instead of an infusion. My anemia is due to extremely heavy periods I’ve had all my life. No matter how much iron is in my diet and with optimal supplemental iron pills I can barely keep it around 12, but at this level now I feel normal, no energy issues (and I’m a runner) so doc says I’m ok. My doctor recommended a brand called VitronC to avoid stomach upset and it works for me, I take mine in the morning on an empty stomach an hour before eating anything and I don’t have tummy issues. Listen to your doctor and follow instructions because they know your personal history and test results and we are simply internet strangers, all we can offer is our personal experiences. If you have questions, send your doc an email and ask them why they recommend waiting to supplement, what tests are they going to run? Sounds like there needs to be clearer communication between doc & patient. OP hope you figure it out and feel better soon! :)

Thanks for sharing your story, I’ll have to look into that VitronC when I’m allowed to supplement. I assume it has vitamin C (hence the name) to help with iron absorption too? I always take everything I read with a grain of salt on the internet 🙂 but it’s nice meeting others who have similar experiences! I’ll attach the tests she’s running, I have no clue what they are. I’m a biologist so I’m always interested in this kind of stuff and learning more 😁.
  • FL_Hiker
    kx1cez515ee6.jpeg

• RunsWithBees

Thanks for sharing your story, I’ll have to look into that VitronC when I’m allowed to supplement. I assume it has vitamin C (hence the name) to help with iron absorption too? I always take everything I read with a grain of salt on the internet 🙂 but it’s nice meeting others who have similar experiences! I’ll attach the tests she’s running, I have no clue what they are. I’m a biologist so I’m always interested in this kind of stuff and learning more 😁.

Yes it has vitamin C and it’s coated to make it easier on the tummy too. I tried so many kinds and only this one works for me. It’s a bit more expensive than simply iron tablets but to me it’s worth it.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Listen to your Dr...there are many forms of anemia & blood panels can help differentiate them from one another.
  • pinuplove
    edited April 2019
    The second and fourth ones both have to do with blood clotting, that much I know from (far too much) experience. Now I'm very curious...

The first one seems to be testing the LDL particle size (per Dr. Google).

ETA apparently there is a link between low iron and blood clotting mechanisms, which I never knew and definitely want to do more research on for my own edification, so thank you for posting this thread!
  • RunsWithBees
    kx1cez515ee6.jpeg

Interesting. I wonder why they didn’t do an occult blood test to see if there’s any unexpected bleeding in your colon (?) not quite sure what the other tests are looking for but I’m sure your doctor is going to figure it out :)