Sugar: does it make you fat?

Options
I know eating in a calorie surplus makes us gain weight, but I’m just asking about sugar here. Is it stored in our bodies as fat?

Are there any alternatives that are not fattening (maple syrup, honey, agave sugar, coconut sugar, brown sugar)? Or do they all count as ‘added sugar’ (I.e not from fruit)?

I try to use stevia in a lot of things but I’m not sure I can bear the taste much longer.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,491 Member
    Options
    Oh, honey, if there were a sugar that wasn’t I would have bet the farm on it and been a gazillionaire by now.
  • Remoth
    Remoth Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Weve been using stevia for months now almost exclusively to sugar. In desserts, and many other dishes. I've also been a diet Pepsi drinker for decades, but I do know by sweet tooth has changed.

I know people often have an issue with the taste of sweeteners, and some are better than others, but you know, if I have something that is packed with sugar or put real sugar in my coffee now, it gets a funny taste that i dont really care for. I think it's just what you are used to and maybe if you give it some time, your tastes will change too. I know i much prefer diet Pepsi to normal Pepsi/coke. It just leaves me bloated with a film in my mouth that I dont like.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,659 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Non or low calorie sweeteners have different tastes and aftertastes, change depending on whether they are consumed raw or after heating, and also taste slightly differently (and have varying amounts of calories) depending on how they are packaged/with what else they are mixed.

The only way to find out what you like is to experiment. Often tastes and after-tastes can be blended to achieve something more palatable.

All items mentioned in the OP, other than Stevia, appear to be normal added sugars and all would be fairly close to the calories of white sugar to achieve similar degrees of sweetness.

I personally think Stevia tastes worse than pretty much any sweetener, and like Sucralose the most.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Non or low calorie sweeteners have different tastes and aftertastes, change depending on whether they are consumed raw or after heating, and also taste slightly differently (and have varying amounts of calories) depending on how they are packaged/with what else they are mixed.

The only way to find out what you like is to experiment. Often tastes and after-tastes can be blended to achieve something more palatable.

All items mentioned in the OP, other than Stevia, appear to be normal added sugars and all would be fairly close to the calories of white sugar to achieve similar degrees of sweetness.

I personally think Stevia tastes worse than pretty much any sweetener, and like Sucralose the most.

I'm with you on Stevia. I love the numbers on the Oikos Triple Zero yogurt but finally learned to quit getting it because every time I did, I'd have to choke it down and died a little inside.
  • avlucia
    avlucia Posts: 66 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Also carbs are sugars too.

Advice wise you could try monk fruit. I made brownies with it and loved them, more expensive than stevia blends though. Xylitol and Erythritol are supposed to be the closest taste to actual sugar but alone they're not as sweet so you need more, I couldn't tell you exactly you'd have to Google conversations. Also I hear they're more prone to causing stomach problems but I haven't done significant research on them to be comfortable giving an informed opinion.