Why am I limited on protein intake?

Options
I've had a pretty easy time staying within my calorie limits, but I keep going over in protein. Why is it even limited in the first place? I remember learning in health class (12 years ago) that excess protein is simply removed through waste, so why is it a problem?

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I think they mean to say, get at least this much
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I've had a pretty easy time staying within my calorie limits, but I keep going over in protein. Why is it even limited in the first place? I remember learning in health class (12 years ago) that excess protein is simply removed through waste, so why is it a problem?
    My Home, Goals, Change Goals, Custom Goals. This will take you to where you can set up what you'd like your protein %'s to be to fit your lifestyle, you can also change the sodium lower if you like, up the fiber to 40 where it really should be for Women etc.

Custom fit it for you:wink::flowerforyou:
  • layne199
    Options
    I just posted a similar post and was assured that the values on here are too low and not to worry. I am always over by at least 30 in the area of protein.

9952880.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

As to your question, I agree the values here are weird.

But I don't understand how they could have taught that garbage in health class!?
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It's not "limited" at all, they just give you a goal and when you go over it shows up as a big menacing red number - even though you did a good thing. Protein is great for weight loss. I personally changed my goals from the default to lower sodium intake a bit and up protein to 25%. Someone trying to build muscle would want something more 30-40%, or higher.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    It's limited because calories come from protein, carbs, and fat. If you are trying to limit calories, you have to draw the line somewhere on each of these things. If you want to adjust your goals, you can do so. I changed my protein to account for 30% of my diet instead of the default.