Pre workout meals

Options
I like to work out early in the morning. I’m not usually a big breakfast person and I usually work out on an empty stomach. I know that I probably should be taking in food prior to my work out just curious if anybody has any good ideas on what are the best ones to eat before the work out. I keep protein powders around the house just curious if maybe a protein shake in the morning mixed with maybe a banana and an apple or something like that would be good.

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    If I'm working out super early it's either just coffee or a yoghurt or half a banana. Anything more and I'd have to give it an hour to settle.
  • priestesspretzel
    priestesspretzel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If your energy level is good during the workout, then working out fasted shouldn't be a problem.

I always eat first, but mainly because I can't serious sustain intensity for more than about 20 minutes if I don't eat.

Nutrient timing isn't typically of high importance to anyone other than elite athletes trying to squeeze out the last 0.05% of performance improvement, except via how it subjectively affects our happiness or perceived energy level. The rest of us (non-elites) will get more benefits from putting our focus elsewhere (such as improving overall nutrition, or fine-tuning our fitness program).

AnnPT77, like you, if I don't eat I can't work out, my muscles just feel like rubber and I get exhausted easily. OP, if you have energy fasting before a workout, don't eat. If you feel like you need some nutrition, eating anything that will fit into your plan, is better than nothing. I truly believe this is not a "one size fits all" situation.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    If you want to fuel your workouts more than you are currently though you would be better to choose carbs than protein pre-Workout as (super summarising here) your body uses carbs during the activity for energy then needs protein afterwards to repair the muscles (and some more carbs).
    A banana would be a good light snack with a little energy and some nutrients.
    Personally I dislike training fasted first thing in the morning so l tend to opt for some toast or fruit etc and then I’ll maybe have 0% Greek yoghurt afterwards with some berries etc. Cereal is a bit ‘sloshy’ in my tummy for pre-workout! ;-)
  • ChrisCatMama
    ChrisCatMama Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I work out very early as well. Usually 1/4 cup of orange juice is all I need for an energy boost. I’ve noticed a big difference without it! Everyone is different. I do think think keeping it light and healthy is best.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the planned workout. Since I’ve started running, I find I don’t have energy to run if I’m famished. But if I eat a full meal I need an extra hour before running to avoid nausea. I find that a piece of toast with a little peanut butter, a small piece of fruit, or even just a granola bar is enough to make a difference. I hadn’t tried juice but that’s a good idea. I’ll have to keep it in mind.