Gotta minor gripe-and it's depressing!

Here's my gripe and vent. I'm a Men's Health subscriber, and have been for years (although I obviously don't take their advice!). Lately they feature guys who have lost 100 lbs or more and how they did it. It's really inspiring-UNTIL-they state their age! These guys are ALWAYS in their 20's and early 30's! Well, I just weighed in at my heaviest this morning (292) and I turn 47 on May 3. Those guys can do it because they're 20 years younger!! I figure I'm pretty screwed. Slow metabolism because of age. Arthritic joints etc. just once I'd like to see someone my age drop an insane amount of weight! Ah to be young again.....

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    This is a great place to start for some success stories. It's a mixed bag, but I guarantee there are some middle-aged men in there.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10394510/the-ultimate-success-stories-guide/p1
  • LoKoMi
    LoKoMi Posts: 51 Member
    You got this my friend!

I just turned 50, lost 65 with 10 more to go. My husband (49) was close to your weight, lost about 30 so far with no real goal just better health in mind.

We might not be “magazine” or even “Instagram” sensations, but stick with it and you won’t need to be featured in AARP magazine as the weight-loss and fitness poster boy 🤣

Haha too old for the young‘ns, too young for the senior citizens 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • stv1520
    stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
    It can be done. Don't be discouraged!

My dad's not some super-fit muscle man, but he was a very big guy 6'4" and around 350 lb for most of my life. He worked construction for 30 years so he was pretty active/strong for his size, but wasn't quite healthy, eating so much red meat and sweets and not watching his health. At around age sixty with high blood pressure, acid reflux, and a very late diagnosis of scoliosis...he made changes and he's now walking 30 miles per week (sometimes more), barely needs blood pressure meds, eats MUCH healthier, and weighs around 240 lb. He is 73 and looks it thanks to working outdoors for years, but he has tons of energy for 73 and he just seems a lot younger than he did ten years ago. He volunteers with his church weatherizing houses and helping people with disabilities and a lot of the people he helps are 15-20 years younger than he is. If he hadn't made changes, he would likely be in need of assistance rather than providing it.

As a woman who has lost 130 lb and kept it off, my biggest gripe with those magazine before & after stories is that the women ALWAYS have a flat belly and are usually wearing a bikini. I love my 5'8" size 10 body, don't get me wrong. But after major weight loss, I do not have a flat belly or perfect arms, and it would take cosmetic surgery to get me in an actual bikini in front of the whole world. I also think they usually show the "befores" as being sad, frumpy, awful looking and the "after" is smiling & sexy/stylish. Plenty of women (myself included) were happy & stylish at large plus sizes too, and are normal nerdy ladies in our after as well. I just think it would be cool if they were a tad more realistic in showing a bigger variety. But as another poster said above, they gotta sell magazines! And a lot of people want that fantasy of being an extreme transformation like Honey Boo Boo's mom or whatever.

Great reply. I don't wanna look a certain way necessarily-just wanna shed these pounds. My knees are starting to bug me too. I do play hockey, but every time I do, I KNOW I could be doing WAY better than just going through the motions. But if your dad could do it at 60, I have zero excuse. And congrats on your weight loss! That's absolutely incredible!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,462 Member
    I weighed 285 lbs 12/29/94. My all time high. I was 44 years old. My 69th birthday is about a week and a half away. I was 171lbs this morning. That little avatar pic is me about 3 years ago at about 178 lbs.

Weight loss takes place mostly in the kitchen. I participate on a message board where older guys have lost plenty with no more exercise than walking.

Calorie counting isn’t so exact that changes in your metabolic rate at age 47 are likely to have much to do with it. Why don’t you get out of your own head and concern yourself with the task at hand? You could be planning a menu, starting a food diary and crunching numbers.

If you’re looking for some like minded folks your age search GoaD (Guys On A Diet) on this app and ask to join our group.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Tons of people here have lost weight in their 60s and beyond. While aging does slightly slow the amount of calories your body burns per day (which MFP already accounts for in your daily goal) , it is not as many as your think and there is no reason to believe that you can't do it because of you age.

I don't mean this to be an insult at all, so I hope you don't take it that way, but perhaps "I'm too old to lose the weight" is something you use as an excuse to keep you from really giving this a hard, long term try.

Give this a serious, long term try and you may be amazed with what you can accomplish.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    That magazine’s target market is younger men. So they are simply marketing to their audience. As others have said, you can lose weight at any age. Read through the Success Stories thread here on MFP for inspiration.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    so 47 is old?.. then what is 85 years old? you have 40 or more years to live.. you can't excuse your way out of losing weight by calling yourself old when you're only 47. :)
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Excuses.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I lost #99 between 50 and 53. It can be done. Where’s @CarvedTones?
  • DW1Texas
    DW1Texas Posts: 131 Member
    I had the same thoughts when I started. Lost just over 100lbs in 10 months with the bulk of that coming off in the first 6 months. Took a break and have maintained for the last 4 months and now getting ramped up to take off the remaining 70lbs (+ or -). Not easy by any stretch but with a disciplined approach and some support it can be done. I am 47 with an office job started at 398lbs currently around 290lbs depending on the day - goal somewhere between 200-220lbs.

Had some knee issues as well. I started with swimming - getting my activity level up. Then watching calories keeping daily calories at 2000 - moving to a modified keto and intermediate fasting. Then started at the gym elliptical and weight lifting 3-4 times a week. But mostly diet is what helped me the most.

I was probably my biggest enemy getting started - thinking it took 20 years to put on the weight there is no way I can get it off. Biggest thing was to make short term goals - making workouts - making calorie goals daily and weekly. Tracking exercise, calories in and calories out every week using MFP weekly report. There will be bumps in the road just plan on it, but striving for daily and weekly goals will lead to long term success - consistency.

Add me if you like - happy to provide some encouragement - never would have been as successful without MFP tools and community support.

Best of luck.
  • Ed_Zilla
    Ed_Zilla Posts: 207 Member
    I lost 75 pounds in 18 months when I was in my early 50's. I did this "fad diet" that nobody has every heard of called "Diet (moderation) and Exercise"...it never caught on...wasn't "faddy" enough I suppose.

OP - you were motivated to post above - use that motivation moving forward. Moderation and exercise really does work.
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    I turn 47 on May 3rd, too! Happy early birthday to you - keep at it! Being young has its advantages, but there is something to be said for life experience and how it can help motivate us to make lasting changes.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Never give up you can do it.
    I'm 45 and have agreed to do a skating competition with some friends which means I better get in shape. It'll happen just have to buckle down.

I read you play hockey, it'll get easier when you lose some weight. Skating is so hard in the joints but it's such amazing exercise.

Keep at it. You'll get results
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    QUIT THE EXCUSES!!!!!!!

You can do this!! (I know someone who has 10 years on you and has lost 200lbs)
  • stv1520
    snowyne wrote: »
    I turn 47 on May 3rd, too! Happy early birthday to you - keep at it! Being young has its advantages, but there is something to be said for life experience and how it can help motivate us to make lasting changes.

LOL! Happy birthday to you as well!
  • stv1520
    DW1Texas wrote: »
    I had the same thoughts when I started. Lost just over 100lbs in 10 months with the bulk of that coming off in the first 6 months. Took a break and have maintained for the last 4 months and now getting ramped up to take off the remaining 70lbs (+ or -). Not easy by any stretch but with a disciplined approach and some support it can be done. I am 47 with an office job started at 398lbs currently around 290lbs depending on the day - goal somewhere between 200-220lbs.

Had some knee issues as well. I started with swimming - getting my activity level up. Then watching calories keeping daily calories at 2000 - moving to a modified keto and intermediate fasting. Then started at the gym elliptical and weight lifting 3-4 times a week. But mostly diet is what helped me the most.

I was probably my biggest enemy getting started - thinking it took 20 years to put on the weight there is no way I can get it off. Biggest thing was to make short term goals - making workouts - making calorie goals daily and weekly. Tracking exercise, calories in and calories out every week using MFP weekly report. There will be bumps in the road just plan on it, but striving for daily and weekly goals will lead to long term success - consistency.

Add me if you like - happy to provide some encouragement - never would have been as successful without MFP tools and community support.

Best of luck.

Thanks for your insight. Did your knees get better as you lost the weight?