How do you handle thigh chafing?

Options
This question is aimed mainly at all of you runners. Being a beginner in running, I started out in winter when it was cold outside and the sweating wasn't as bad. With the summer months approaching, I have started to sweat way more, especially between my thighs. This causes them to rub together, resulting in chafing (at least that is what it's called on the internet). Many sites suggest anti-chafing gels, but they are quite expensive and I'd love an alternative. What do you guys do about it?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I was considering asking the same question. I get really bad chafing, even from walking. I went on a great walk yesterday, but now I am paying for it dearly. I would love to hear any answers anyone might have to this, as I really enjoy walking and hiking but this makes it difficult.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I primarily run in leggings/tights that cover my thighs when running for this reason. However, I have used baby powder when wearing skirts in the summer to help this. I have also heard of people using deodorant as well.
  • eromligyppah
    eromligyppah Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I use body glide or sport shield before I run and they both work well. I like the sport shield better though. The sport shield I have had the same roll on bottle for a year. It might be a little pricey but it lasts for quite a while and it's definitely worth it.
  • etolv
    etolv Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You could try using a generic powdered deodorant stick as an alternative to body glide. I like to run in these "bike shorts." They fit like leggings, but are shorts and hit about 4-6 inches inches above my knee. They prevent any inner thigh rubbing. Highly recommended. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CY7RU9G/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I would just wear bike shorts to run. Get whatever length is good to cover the chafing area.
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice re: bike shorts. I believe mine have a 14 inch inseam--perfect for me. Mine also have a pocket for my phone in the waist area (not like a typical pocket) and it works really well. I ordered mine online from Champion (through Target, maybe?) and got them for $5 each--a great sale and not the usual price. In black, only. But look around and see what you can find.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Aquaphor or Body Glide. Walmart has a generic equivalent of Aquaphor. This is my go to solution for cycling and running.
  • juliamc183
    juliamc183 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Can only agree with those who have suggested bike shorts - instant fix for me.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I also wear bike shorts. I got mine from Old Navy. For everyday though, like if I am just walking all day for non-workout purposes or wear a dress etc. I just use my everyday deodorant.
  • JB1775
    JB1775 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You can buy a product called body glide. It's specifically for this. It looks and is applied like a stick of deodorant wherever you need it.
  • kteej
    kteej Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Better arch support
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Buy this: https://www.amazon.com/Body-Glide-Original-Anti-Chafe-Balm/dp/B07CYQDDHC

We use it in triathlon to help getting on wetsuits but fab for this use too! There's also a spray called Trislide. I like body glide though - they even have small ones you can carry with you.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I use Runguard, which is similar to Body Glide. Vaseline can also work, but is messier. I don't normally have issues any more, but I'll use it when I'm racing, just in case.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Under Armor Boxer Jocks or similar tight moisture wicking material with longer legs.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    defo bodyglide, I have a lot of loose skin from weight loss and if it wasnt for bodyglide I'd just be a mass of chafing
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I prefer 2Toms Sport Shield. Body Glide has an odd scent. Either work better than vasoline or aquafor.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    body glide or deodorant
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    another vote for Body Glide.
  • Icy_Fox
    Icy_Fox Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I tried deodorant (the roll-on type) today for a short run and although it wasn't that hot, it seemed to do the job fine. My thighs weren't sweating, but I did feel slight friction from the deodorant layer itself...
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil. Slather it on the areas most likely to rub.

My daughter's in track and field and she wears bike shorts. No problems yet.