Spring cold :medicine has calories?!?

So every spring and fall my allergies go crazy leaving me open to a cold which has hit with full force. I get curious and look up NyQuil on the apps calorie counter and sure enough it’s in there! It’s is the delivery system? Or maybe they add sugar to it? I’d have never thought of cold medicine being this high. Anyone have any home remedies that won’t have as many calories as my daily almond milk?

Replies

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Pill form will probably have less calories then syrup form. But the calories are probably not enough to deter weight loss anyways. I've scanned various supplements and medicines and have not found any to be more then 10-20 calories each. Count it if you think it's worth tracking. To note, the database is user created for the most part. If you are getting something crazy high, it's likely to be erroneous.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    My vitamins (gummies) have 50 calories. My fish oil has 20 calories. Miralax has 0. I haven't taken any other OTC's to know what the caloric counts are. My prescription med is also 0.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited April 2019
    Liquid Nyquil has around 100 calories a dose if I remember correctly from last Spring.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    My vitamins (gummies) have 50 calories. My fish oil has 20 calories. Miralax has 0. I haven't taken any other OTC's to know what the caloric counts are. My prescription med is also 0.

Mine too! I log them, 50 calories is like two pieces of candy.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Syrup = enough sugar dissolved in liquid to affect the viscosity.
    So, yeah, no surprise that what would generically be referred to as cough syrup has calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,733 Member
    Just take the medicine while you're not feeling well and don't worry about it. It's not going to have an affect on your long-term success.

This. For two or three colds a year, it's just a blip. Don't worry about it. If you've been losing weight OK, you'll still be under your maintenance calories, and a few extra calories might even be a good thing to help you recover a bit better.