If you didn't have to work, what would you do?

Options
emmies_123
emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
My most productive hours are spent sitting at a desk just to earn money and pay my bills. Makes me wonder, what would you do if we didn't have to work?

For me (lose 10 hrs a weekday to work + commute):

-Stitch more. Expand my knowledge on other needle arts
-Get more exercise done (longer sessions, or multiple types in one day). Maybe go to a gym for classes.
-Volunteer for local programs. Help at the library, or the elementary school, or with embroidery guild stuff
-Focus more on learning to cook outside of a crock pot =P

What would you do?

Replies

• PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Lift more
    Volunteer more
    Watch more TV
  • emmies_123
    Options
    oh yeah, I forgot video games. I tend to cycle between interest in stitching or gaming. Would be nice to have larger chunk of time to really settle into a JRPG.
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I'd just do everything slower

Like, right now I can force time to do anything that I want--writing, camping, woodworking, music, anything I want. It's just exhausting, and I often feel like I can enjoy it in the moment, but as soon as it's done I have something else I need to do.

So I'd just do everything slower. Wake up outdoors and take time to lie there and enjoy the morning. Write a story when the idea comes to me, without hoping that I have the energy to do it later when my schedule allows it. Allow myself to totally submerge my mind in some sort of learning activity in the obsessive manner that it wants to, without having to break that "flow" when things are really clicking and the passion is there.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Train more, more training trips to Thailand, expand my garden further. This assumes not working cos I have loads of money.
  • izahniz82
    izahniz82 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have loads of time to test out on food nutrition & workouts. Experiment on ways to hit my target weight.
    Also I just watch online free movies. And self pamper myself with learning & applying home made beauty masks / ideas. At this moment..my biggest challenger is MYSELF. As it keeps pulling me back to comfort & not working out.
    I hope to improve my fitness & metabolism so I can be better for my next employment.
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I would travel more. Experiment more in the kitchen. Start ticking off the home renovations. I’d restore the vintage dressers I keep buying but never have time to refresh. I’d read a ton, and plant a massive garden. I’d finally learn how to crochet. I would get a good nights rest every night, and I’d spend more time with family and friends. I’d help out more at my sons school and I’d volunteer more in the community. I train for a marathon and binge watch Lost and have a whole Zoo of animals.
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Oh and I would definitely game more as well.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Spend more quality time with my kids/family.
    Go to the gym more/longer.
    Have more lazy days.
    Sleep more.
  • emmies_123
    Options
    oo yes gardening. I always look at my yard and think "it would be nice to have flowers" but I can't add that (and the long term maintenance down the road) to my limited free time.
  • Mm2Hh7
    Mm2Hh7 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Travel the world
  • Reckoner67
    Options
    Oh and I would definitely game more as well.

I'd have to watch myself with gaming, because that could easily take over
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    -Spend more time with my son
    -Gym more
    -Become a CrossFit coach/personal trainer
    -Read more
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Options
    +1 travel
  • emmies_123
    Options
    I love that I am seeing so many responses of self-improvement or self-care, and giving back to your community around you. Really makes me wonder what the world would be like if more could afford leisure time in their lives.
  • Reckoner67
    Options
    emmies_123 wrote: »
    I love that I am seeing so many responses of self-improvement or self-care, and giving back to your community around you. Really makes me wonder what the world would be like if more could afford leisure time in their lives.

I feel like my biggest frustration with my life, in general, is a shortage of time.
  • amyonfiree
    amyonfiree Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I was a stay at home mom, I definitely got more exercise in. I was also more active at my kids schools. I would probably add in other community efforts, since my kids are all in school full time now. I would like to garden too. I feel like I don't have enough time in the day to even do that. I do like to cook and would probably cook a lot more.
  • kathryn1391
    kathryn1391 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'd really take the time to learn yoga. I feel like i'm always rushed these days.
    Id also read a lot more, and work on my crafting and calligraphy.
    Long walks with the dog, and maybe a spot of baking!
    Time is something i miss, and i dont even have anything to show for it.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    emmies_123 wrote: »
    My most productive hours are spent sitting at a desk just to earn money and pay my bills. Makes me wonder, what would you do if we didn't have to work?

For me (lose 10 hrs a weekday to work + commute):

-Stitch more. Expand my knowledge on other needle arts
    -Get more exercise done (longer sessions, or multiple types in one day). Maybe go to a gym for classes.
    -Volunteer for local programs. Help at the library, or the elementary school, or with embroidery guild stuff
    -Focus more on learning to cook outside of a crock pot =P

What would you do?
    Travel, go back to school, not sure what else. I’m a stay at home mom right now so technically “i don’t work” but I take care of a newborn, a 2 year old and an 8 year old when he comes home from school so my day is absolutely booked so I don’t have time for anything else
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I would definitely participate more in nursing homes (was a nurse before I became a stay at home mom), community centers and my kids school and be there extra time at after school activities. Exercise more at the gym.
  • emmies_123
    Options
    You are definitely working Rickiimarieee, you just aren't paid for it!