Parents of boys/men:

Options
rickiimarieee
rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
I NEED HELP, doesn’t matter if your boy(s) are 2 or 40. How do you potty train them?? I’m in a rat race trying to potty train my 2 year old. He’s exactly 28 months old. I put him in undies and he’s peeing in them, not even minding that he’s wet (read to leave him in it for a little bit so he gets uncomfortable with being wet) and I’ve been putting him on the toilet every 30 minutes and have a chart I put stickers on when he sits on the potty, asks to go, flushes, pees, poops, washes hands. I’ve been doing this for awhile and he has yet to go in the toilet. How do I encourage him to take that first pee in the toilet? Once he pees once he’ll know what to do.

Replies

• AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The only thing that worked for my boys was naked. We had to let them be naked. Anything else is too close to having a diaper on. They yelled for a diaper because they didnt want to just go in nothing. That's when we quickly take them to the bathroom and put them on the toilet. Only thing that worked for us. Gonna be accidents.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Reckoner67 wrote: »
    Throw a cheerio into the toilet, tell him to pee on it

I tried that, he won’t. He’s sitting on the toilet and he leans forward and put his hands on the front of the toilet so he’s not even looking down at his junk.
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Good luck
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    I tried running water, making him laugh, blowing out candles, throwing cereal in there and nothing yet.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    The only thing that worked for my boys was naked. We had to let them be naked. Anything else is too close to having a diaper on. They yelled for a diaper because they didnt want to just go in nothing. That's when we quickly take them to the bathroom and put them on the toilet. Only thing that worked for us. Gonna be accidents.

I guess that’s what I gotta do. Butt naked
  • LisaHeb1979
    LisaHeb1979 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    With both of my boys. I let them pick out underpants. Then the first day I put them in them, I took them to the potty every 5 mins. The next day, every 10 mins. We had a sticker chart and after about a day of that, they no longer cared. For them it was just consistency in going. It took about a week for them to be completely potty trained.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My boy was hard. He was over 3 and it was all on his own terms. Knew what he was going, didn't care.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I have heard of several moms having success with the potty training boot camp method.

https://messymotherhood.com/potty-training-boot-camp/

My son has only recently been potty trained (for about the last month or so). He turned 3 in January. He knew what to do, he just didn't want to do it. It finally just took bribing him to get the toy he had been asking for (an iron man action figure). I told him he could have it when he went poop on the potty. After that, he has been potty trained (with the exception of naps and bedtime).

Why the rush to potty train him?
  • katiekonowal
    katiekonowal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have 3 boys and I didn’t even start to think about potty training them until they were almost 3... my friends with girls shook their heads at me and had their girls potty trained at two, but boys take more time.. when they were a few months shy of turning three I let them pick underwear and told them they had to go in the potty and only took about a week or so before they were fully trained :) hope this helps
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    With both of my boys. I let them pick out underpants. Then the first day I put them in them, I took them to the potty every 5 mins. The next day, every 10 mins. We had a sticker chart and after about a day of that, they no longer cared. For them it was just consistency in going. It took about a week for them to be completely potty trained.

He has his favorite shows undies. He has paw patrol undies.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Every time ours went in the potty, they got an m&m. Potty trained within a week.

Yeah I plan on giving him a gummy every time he goes pee on the potty but the problem is getting him to go that first time
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    My boy was hard. He was over 3 and it was all on his own terms. Knew what he was going, didn't care.

Yeah they say boys are a lot harder than girls.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I have 3 boys and I didn’t even start to think about potty training them until they were almost 3... my friends with girls shook their heads at me and had their girls potty trained at two, but boys take more time.. when they were a few months shy of turning three I let them pick underwear and told them they had to go in the potty and only took about a week or so before they were fully trained :) hope this helps

This. Boys are slower to learn this than girls. My pediatrician told me to not even try till he was closer to 3. At 3 we picked out underwear and I told him he would get a balloon for every day he used the potty. In 1 week he had 7 balloons and was completely potty trained.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    I have heard of several moms having success with the potty training boot camp method.

https://messymotherhood.com/potty-training-boot-camp/

My son has only recently been potty trained (for about the last month or so). He turned 3 in January. He knew what to do, he just didn't want to do it. It finally just took bribing him to get the toy he had been asking for (an iron man action figure). I told him he could have it when he went poop on the potty. After that, he has been potty trained (with the exception of naps and bedtime).

Why the rush to potty train him?

I’m not trying to rush him, my pediatrician told me to start. He’s been asking to use the potty he just won’t go.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    moreclan9 wrote: »
    As the mother of 11 children, and foster mother to over 100...many of them boys. I learned to not even think about trying until they are three.

That helps, only reason I’m trying is the pediatrician told me to get on it
  • rickiimarieee
    Options

This. Boys are slower to learn this than girls. My pediatrician told me to not even try till he was closer to 3. At 3 we picked out underwear and I told him he would get a balloon for every day he used the potty. In 1 week he had 7 balloons and was completely potty trained.

My pediatrician looked at me like I was stupid when I told him that I haven’t started trying to potty train yet
  • rickiimarieee
    Options

It does help, thank you!!