6 seconds too slow

MPDean
MPDean Posts: 99 Member
I'm training for a half marathon. This morning I did a training run in 1 hour 44 minutes and 54 seconds, I'm very happy with that. My Garmin calculated it as 8 minute per mile but MFP recorded it as 9 minute miles.

My calculator tells me it is actually 8.007 minutes per mile. MFP is brutal! 😲

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    You know the truth, great job.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    honestly i rarely go by MFP descriptions
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Welcome to math by MFP. :D I ran a progression type run on Sunday. Every mile was faster than 9 minutes. Half were under 8 minutes. So it got recorded on MFP as a run at 9 min pace. Really? :D
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    The automatic postings from Garmin to your MFP feed are usually insulting. All swims are listed as "easy effort," run paces are rounded up, etc. My complete exercise log is at Strava.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    And this is why I don't use MFP to track exercise. Or rather, it's just one example.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Tracker accounts (Garmin, Apple) are given the API workout descriptors that they can send a workout to MFP as.

Garmin is the one deciding what to use.

Some don't even try to get that fine a level and use the generic.

Have you even used the Exercise Diary in MFP for any kind of tracking?

If this is more about making sure your friend's list is properly impressed with your workout - just a make a wall post about it with more info than would normally be supplied - much more inspiring and interesting anyway.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    You don't have to link your Garmin.....
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    The ones that used to bother me were long open water swims that included a stop midway through the swim. MFP would often call them something like " Swimming, leisurely/ treading water" lol.
  • MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    I link the Garmin to MFP so I can eat back my exercise calories.

Not a brag, more an observation and a bit of a rant.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    MPDean wrote: »
    I link the Garmin to MFP so I can eat back my exercise calories.

Not a brag, more an observation and a bit of a rant.

I don't link my Garmin, or Strava, or WattBike, or Samsung Health apps - but I eat back my exercise calories.
    Not linking means you get to control the data you input rather than have suspect or inaccurate data coming through to MyFitnessPal.

For example although my Wattbike indoor bike trainer accurately measures power it uses a ridiculous algorithm to estimate calories, I log it manually but with an accurate calorie estimate.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited April 2019
    Some are taking the OP post all wrong. AFAIK, the calorie count is accurate (as accurate as it can be - adjust and adapt until it works for you). It is just the algorithm used to record the pace that amuses us. Run an 8.0007 minute mile and it gets posted at 9 minutes.

Just an observation that amuses and makes us wonder what the hell the programmers are thinking... :D
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Some are taking the OP post all wrong. AFAIK, the calorie count is accurate (as accurate as it can be - adjust and adapt until it works for you). It is just the algorithm used to record the pace that amuses us. Run an 8.0007 minute mile and it gets posted at 9 minutes.

Just an observation that amuses and makes us wonder what the hell the programmers are thinking... :D

I think that's more or less what everyone's thinking.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    honestly i rarely go by MFP descriptions

Personally I do use the MFP cake for swimming. More conservative that my Garmin.
    Varies by activity.