Wow so I AM supposed to reach my net cals. Been eating too "

Options
Honestly, this whole time I was a bit confused. I have been on a 1,200 cal intake per day for about 2 & a half months now. I'm 112 pounds, 5'6 but still not happy with my lower body as I put the most weight on in that area lol. ANYWAY...

Basically if I burned 300 cals, my net cals become lower & I have to make sure I eat til' my net cals are 1,200 right?? I honestly never knew that. I thought what's the point if I just burned it off at the gym with cardio? I'm working out to eat? Still til' this day I am a bit confused lol :\

Anyone here on 1,200 cals per day & makes sure there NET cals are 1,200 even after you exercised??

Replies

• Chubby_bunnyy
    Chubby_bunnyy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    lol no...your max is 1200. if you go lower its better, you will lose it faster. if you eat more, it defeated the purpose of working out unless you want to bulk up or build definition with a slower loss
  • kelseyt17
    kelseyt17 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I always make sure I eat at least 1200 calories a day. But I never eat my calories I earn from exercise. I usually lose about 2 pounds per week.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are supposed to reach your net of 1200. Your MINIMUM is 1200, not your max.
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    This is something I've been pondering as well. The exercise doesn't take the nutrition from the food away, but at the same time, you need the food for energy.
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You NEED to eat them back. Look it up online and youll find the reason why
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    This link provides a TON of links about why you should eat your exercise calories, and there might be some other stuff in there, too. Remember - MFP ALREADY calculates a deficit for you to lose weight WITHOUT exercising BEFORE it gives you your recommended daily calories. Also, generally speaking, the less weight you have to lose, the lower your weekly goal should be - like .5 or 1 pound a week for 10-20 pounds.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

Edit: PLEASE read these posts. This is maybe the fourth time you have asked this today. I don't mean that in a rude way at all (and yes, I've been on MFP too much today) - I just think you should read these posts about the way MFP, NOT a usual weight-loss site is set up. I know it can be confusing, it was for me, too when I first started. I came to learn through tracking that I was really undereating, totally unintentionally. After understanding more about how MFP works, I changed my weekly goal, which upped my calories, and I eat about 1/2 my exercise calories (to account for innaccuracies). I think my body has been in a fat-saving mode for months because I was undereating, I lost 35 pounds quickly, but now I have to experiment and ge tthings going again, because what I was doing was no longer working and I really believe it was because I was not eating enough. I know you are trying to understand and get your head around it, because usually people say you shouldn't eat off what you burn, but MFP has already given you a deficit before exercise and it's not healthy to be too far under your NET calories. Please read those links. I think they will help you understand. Good luck!
  • jminette
    jminette Posts: 81
    Options
    The thing with eating so little is that you're metabolism will slow down to adjust, and you will have a harder time losing weight. It's called starvation mode.
    You really should be eating 1,200 NET calories a day. That's the recommended minimum.
    Exercise is for health, muscle, and being able to eat more that day.
    I promise you will have a better time if you eat some of those exercise calories back, and it will be easier for you to do this long term.
    My diary is a bad example because I'm usually under 1,200, but I'm working on it.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    lol no...your max is 1200. if you go lower its better, you will lose it faster. if you eat more, it defeated the purpose of working out unless you want to bulk up or build definition with a slower loss

this is the stupidest thing i've ever heard.

at your weight, you should be aiming more for only 1/2 a pound a week. so change your settings because otherwise you are much more likely to just lose muscle. once you've changed that, yes try to make sure your net is 1200 but dont stress too much as long as you are eating up to your goal without exercise and are reaching at least 1000 net. because exercise calories include the calories you you would have burnt anyways not exercising
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options

lol no..1200 is your minimum. If you go lower you begin to seriously damage your body. I used to net about 500 calories a day MAX. I lost 20 lbs in 2 months but it didn't mean it was a healthy weight loss. My metabolism was demolished and i struggled for awhile to get it back to a sustainable level.I regained about 10 of those 20 pounds but then lost 15 from that point. (25 lbs total, incase it was hard to follow :) haha) Since I've started caring more about putting good lean muscle onto my body, I've lost several inches. Not necessarily pounds but INCHES. I'm constantly eating to make sure I'm giving my body enough nutrients. Also, if you're 5'6 and 112 lbs I don't think losing much more will benefit you. Not sure of the type of exercising you're doing BUT if you want leaner legs focus on building muscle there and working them out properly.

And because I didn't state it, I eat back about 50-80% of my exercise calories (I always leave a little room for source of error from the machines!) Which means I NET somewhere around 1500 calories.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Because you are so small i am sure the 1200 cal rule does not apply to you. you probably only need 1400 to maintain.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, 5'6" and 112 is REALLY thin, I honestly think you should talk to a doctor or nutritionist about your diet and exercise plan - just make sure you are on a healthy path
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    yeah im 5"2 and 108. and im just trying to sculpt and maintain. i know there still may be body fat there. but the only way to really get rid of it without becoming too skinny is intense cardio and weight trainiing. ive been eating maintenance and doing that and im seeing results
  • WendyHJ
    WendyHJ Posts: 60
    Options
    I agree with tameko2, If you weighed any less at that height you would blow away. You really need to go see a doctor. I am worried for you.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    you're not going to get rid of a targeted area of 'excess weight' by eating less. You need to eat more to help you build muscle and a strong body. forget 1200 calories, find out what your BMR is and eat that. Plus a bit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

No.

MFP creates a deficit BEFORE oyu exercise, so you should eat the calories back, especially when you only have a few pounds to lose as it is. Women dont 'bulk up' and you need to eat a reasonable amount for ur muscles if you want definition.