Shin splints

Options
So I'm on week 3 of C25K and I have got the worst shin splints ever. What can I do to heal them and keep it from coming back?

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted at a running store for running shoes? They watch you walk and run to evaluate your gait. IMO it makes a huge difference since everyone’s Gail is different.

Other than that... slow down. A lot. Barely jogging in slow motion. It takes time to condition your body.
  • Jenna__XoXo
    Jenna__XoXo Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted at a running store for running shoes? They watch you walk and run to evaluate your gait. IMO it makes a huge difference since everyone’s Gail is different.

Other than that... slow down. A lot. Barely jogging in slow motion. It takes time to condition your body.

I haven't been fitted yet but I'm going to in a few weeks. I had them really bad back in February then they went away even though I never stopped running now they're back again.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I’d prioritize that shoe fitting if I were in your place. I’d also add in extra rest days between runs and perhaps repeat the previous session instead of resuming with the week 3 run that caused pain right away.

FWIW I just completed c25k a couple weeks ago. The first two weeks were the hardest for me. At some point I’m the podcast the narrator told me to run slowly. She said to imagine running along a hedge where someone on the other side can only see your head. The person on the other side of the hedge should not be able to tell if you are running or walking. Your head shouldn’t bob up and down. This was a game changer for me. I had been having horrible knee and hip pain. I added in extra rest days and slowed down a lot. I was convinced my neighbors were wondering what I was doing running so slowly. But it helped A LOT. I can now run 2.5 miles in 30 mimiutes without pain,
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    100% get fitted for properly fitted running shoes. It's the best investment you'll make in your running progress.

When I took up the C25K program and started running for the first time years ago I suffered from horribly painful shin splints. I'd get back from my run and end up with a bag of frozen peas on one leg and a bag of frozen baby carrots on the other.

Then I went to a sports footwear store and got assessed for a proper pair of running shoes. Turns out that the way I ran my foot had an outward roll so the guy showed me a bunch of shoes that provided the right sort of support for my running style. Since then I've never been bothered with any pain in the slightest and the peas and carrots can safely be used or their intended nutritional purpose =)
  • avlucia
    avlucia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have a list of feet problems and started to have issues with shin splints. I found out it was because I was trying to correct my steps with my toes, so I would be unconsciously clenching my toes while walking. As soon as I realized that and made myself use my thighs and calves more they went away. Just my 2¢.
  • mnbell2013
    mnbell2013 Posts: 45 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I also struggled with shin splints while doing the program. Mine were mainly caused from trying to do too much too quickly so I had to cut back on the amount I was running (at the time I thought it would be OK to do my C25K segment and, say, an additional half-mile of solid running). Obviously I don't recommend this. It was too much for me and is what started my pain. Reducing this helped, as well as switching up the surfaces I was running on. I ran most of the program on the treadmill because running outside was intimidating to me at first. After awhile I started trail running and using the indoor track at the gym. Both of these helped me significantly.

I second the advice about getting proper shoes. I've also been meaning to get fitted for better running shoes and hope to do so in the next couple weeks.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I had them for a long time. I dealt with them all through college athletics. We would fill paper cups 1/2 way with water and freeze them. When they are fully frozen, tear the paper cup down until the frozen ice is exposed and rub/massage it all over your shins. Do this every night and it really helps the pain.

I do also agree to get good running shoes and insoles, it will not only help the shin splints, but also your knees and hips and back (even if you aren't having pain there).

Week 4-5 was the hardest for me. I had to re-do those weeks several times. Don't get too bogged down on finishing "on time." Re-do the weeks you struggle with, and don't move on until you feel ready. Good luck!