Intermittent Fasting Studies 2019 - Science Behind Fasting

Options
Just posted some new content about three intermittent fasting studies at the Intermittent Fasting group for those who stumble across this post and may be interested. I'm not directly posting it here because most MFP members are not interested.

Here's the link: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10731877/intermittent-fasting-studies-2019-science-behind-fasting#latest

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    I have a “science experiment” in progress on day 4 doing OMAD 22/2 and within 60 minutes of eating. Agree with what you said.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. :)
  • gr8tfulm
    gr8tfulm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I typically do 16/8
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    It is my understanding (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), that it takes 12 hours to enter the fasted state after your last meal. Fed, post absorptive and then fasted. So depending on when you last ate, you probably are not fasting while you are sleeping...
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    It is my understanding (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), that it takes 12 hours to enter the fasted state after your last meal. Fed, post absorptive and then fasted. So depending on when you last ate, you probably are not fasting while you are sleeping...

It really depends on the researcher. A decade ago, fasting in literature would almost exclusively refer to things like alternate day fasting, while things like IF would be called time-restricted feeding. I think literature still tends to favor calling it time-restricted for patterns like IF.

Depending on what is being examined, I'd imagine there is a range of times that people's systems change and showing a more fasted profile.
  • jakea1963
    jakea1963 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Have been doing for real for 2 months. Results have been amazing. I have been able to create true deficits while giving myself to fit in some not so good for you foods all without feeling hungry all the time.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    I have a “science experiment” in progress on day 4 doing OMAD 22/2 and within 60 minutes of eating. Agree with what you said.

What is OMAD?
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    OMAD is an acronym for one meal a day, generally understood to mean a small feeding window in which an extended meal takes place.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    OMAD is an acronym for one meal a day, generally understood to mean a small feeding window in which an extended meal takes place.

Gotcha...
  • KrystalGayle08
    KrystalGayle08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I’m fairly new to IF. It’s been about two weeks. So far I’m really enjoying it. I don’t find I’m hungry or maybe my mind is just refocused because I’m so determined to fast. I was going for 16:8 but I actually do 18:6. My morning routine of getting kids ready and to school then straight to the gym (I get so jacked when I go before I’ve eaten), then home and I eat by 12:15 and stop after 6. I’m not even craving snacks at night so far so it’s amazing. Very easy to create a deficit when you don’t snack in the evenings. Just a *kitten* tone of water. The only downfall is I end up waking at night to pee. Lol. I’ve also cut out coffee. I absolutely love French vanilla creamer and one day I measured how much I add to make it creamy and so yummy and I was disgusted at the amount of calories it was (150!!). So I said forget it and just don’t do it anymore. Well actually I did have a cup yesterday but only because my calories were so low. So now it’s a treat rather than 4 or 5 a day using up my daily allowance of calories.
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    @KrystalGayle08, thanks for sharing,it’s something all active IF practitioners can relate to. By the way, we have an Intermittent Fasting group here at MFP. It’s loaded with great content and new stuff is being added daily. One member, @Diatonic12, regularly adds amazing content rich in perspective.

We’d love to have you stop by and say hello, maybe share and enjoy the pearls of wisdom and support we offer. Wishing you the best.
  • KrystalGayle08
    KrystalGayle08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    @pierinifitness I just watched the video regarding the studies on IF and it makes so much sense. I’m so excited to be on this journey and I’m going to join the group thank you.
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    @pierinifitness I just watched the video regarding the studies on IF and it makes so much sense. I’m so excited to be on this journey and I’m going to join the group thank you.

Your welcome and will see you there. I'll be privately cheering for you.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    So from the video, he talks about cals the same on the first study... does that mean the same deficit? what was the weight loss vs. in each group not just BF% loss? That will tell you the size of the deficits. Maybe the group that lost more bf% had higher cal needs, so eating the same amount as the other group would cause them to lose more weight and fat... should be based on deficit, not just cals in.

Tthe second study does make sense about naturally eating fewer cals following IF, since you only eat in a shortened window.
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    One study I read in detail, not just a news article excerpt, is this one that obviously is IF positive. Now granted, for each positive study one can show a negative or neutral one; it's the nature of research.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    I apparently do 16/8 because I have breakfast at my desk just before 9 and dinner right when I get home 18:00 latest.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    16/8 here as well. 12pm - 8pm...