How is 1200 Calories for you?

Options
I have been told by my doctor to lose some weight asap as the circulation in my legs has deteriroated after the damage two DVTs in successive years in my 60s.

I am 72 and 6' 5" but have slowly gained weight since retiring and have been at 20 stone for the past two or three years. I just don't expend all the nervous energy, nor do I rush about as I did prior to retirement.

My target is to lose 4 stone and then see where that leaves me in terms of fitness and circulation. My doctor suggetsed a target of 1200 calories and so I set myself on a target of 1900 calories reducing buy 100 calories a day for the first week just to get into the swing of things. So far so good - this site has been a great discipline on my eating.

How has 1200 calories a day worked for anyone else?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You are 6'5 and the doctor recommended 1200 calories? :frown: What kind of doctor? How much do you weigh and how much do you want to lose?

To answer your question - I cannot sustain 1200 calories a day. I stay too hungry and end up bingeing. I am 5'9, 44 years old, female, and 184 pounds. The lowest I'll go is about 1700 calories.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    You have gone too low with 1200cals. I assume you are male, sorry if I got that wrong.

From a TDEE calculator:

o6d43a9x3psi.png

This might help as well, rather than me try and type it all out:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1399829/step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I did it for awhile. I think I sustained it for 7 or 8 months? After that, I started getting cold all the time, I was tired no matter what, severe mood swings and depressive episodes, developed fine body hair, and the hair on my head started falling out like crazy.
    If you do decide to eat 1200 calories, I would not recommend it long term. You are much better off eating 1700-1800 and just adding more physical activity.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    1200 calories for a 6'5 male? Even if that's a typo and you're only 5'5, 1200 calories is waaaaay too low for any male, but especially if you are that tall.

I guarantee that if you get down to 1200 calories a day, you will fail sooner rather than later because that's an unhealthy, unsustainable and unreasonable deficit.

Sadly, doctors aren't usually a weath of information when it comes to nutrition and weight management. It's simply not in their skillset. The bare minimum for a male is 1500 calories per day, and that's for a man of average height.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    um guys. Did you notice the fact that he is 72 and sounds like he is not very active? With that being said starting at 1900 for a week and then each week cutting a 100 calories is a sound strategy until you are losing a lb or 2 a week. 1500 calories is usually recommended as the low end for a male, so unless you are very inactive or have had your resting metabolism rate measured I suggest asking for a referral to a dietician/nutritionist.

Are you able to do any walking? Walking is easily the best exercise for weightloss. I lost about 90 lbs while just walking. Once I start lifting my weightloss always stalls out.
  • Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Not the best to ask here a question regarding 1200 cal diet. Most people here thinks it's the devil. Haha!
    I am on 1200 cal diet, but I only stand 5'2. It's difinitely effective in losing weight. I lost 30 lbs in 3 months while on it, if you read the success story several people lost morethan I did while they are on 1200 cal diet. Now, I don't weigh my food, but I log everything.
    I think it would be best on asking your Doc to have you talk to a dietician rather asking people here for advice.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    fitzbrowne wrote: »
    I have been told by my doctor to lose some weight asap as the circulation in my legs has deteriroated after the damage two DVTs in successive years in my 60s.

I am 72 and 6' 5" but have slowly gained weight since retiring and have been at 20 stone for the past two or three years. I just don't expend all the nervous energy, nor do I rush about as I did prior to retirement.

My target is to lose 4 stone and then see where that leaves me in terms of fitness and circulation. My doctor suggetsed a target of 1200 calories and so I set myself on a target of 1900 calories reducing buy 100 calories a day for the first week just to get into the swing of things. So far so good - this site has been a great discipline on my eating.

How has 1200 calories a day worked for anyone else?

1200 cals would usually not be recommended for any man, certainly not one with your stats. However you mentioned a medical condition that is being affected by your weight, so it could be possible losing weight aggressively fast is necessary.

Having said that, PLEASE contact your doctor and ask for a referral to a registered dietitian. It will take a very specific focus on nutrient dense, low cal foods to remain healthy while eating at such a low amount. If you end up consistently losing more than 2-3 lbs per week, ensuring you are getting exceptional nutrition, along with enough protein, in the food you are eating so you don't lose muscle or cause new health concerns will be important. :drinker:
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I get by just fine on 1200 calories per day, but I'm only 5' tall and work a desk job with very little extra exercise (so far). I've been successful in the past losing 115lbs in 18 months on 1200, but I did work my way up by adding exercise to 1500 calories and that was sustainable until my surgery 2 yrs ago and I packed 70lbs back on.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' tall and a woman, probably much more active. 1200 calories are usually in the tank by the end of lunch. Sometimes not, but usually.

I personally, and I'm not a doctor, think 1200 is just not enough for a 6'5" man (I'm assuming male, because of the height, it is very rare to see a woman so tall). I would do as you plan and start at 1900, but I would not go below 1500. You will see weight loss at 1500. That is for the meantime.

You need to meet with your doctor again and ask for a referral to a dietitian.
  • talkinghead86
    talkinghead86 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Not the best to ask here a question regarding 1200 cal diet. Most people here thinks it's the devil. Haha!
    I am on 1200 cal diet, but I only stand 5'2. It's difinitely effective in losing weight. I lost 30 lbs in 3 months while on it, if you read the success story several people lost morethan I did while they are on 1200 cal diet. Now, I don't weigh my food, but I log everything.
    I think it would be best on asking your Doc to have you talk to a dietician rather asking people here for advice.

Congrats on the loss! 1200 cals a day is kinda low for me (5'10''/larger build) but I do have weight to lose -- and the pounds definitely come off (assuming one maintains it for an ongoing period)

Is 1200 a fool-proof way to lose weight (faster than average) for a lot of people?

Unfortunately, I work 8-10 hours a day (late into the night) -- so those cravings I get for a bag of cheetos or a snickers bar or a Dr. Pepper are persistent /: