Parents of boys/men:

Options
13»

Replies

• rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    There is a book from the 70’s called Toilet Training in Less Than a Day. It really works. We used it on all three of our boys. There’s a checklist at the beginning to determine if they are ready. We made some modifications for the times and ignored sexist 70’s writing. I recommend it to everyone.

I’ll look into it thank you!! 💜
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I NEED HELP, doesn’t matter if your boy(s) are 2 or 40. How do you potty train them?? I’m in a rat race trying to potty train my 2 year old. He’s exactly 28 months old. I put him in undies and he’s peeing in them, not even minding that he’s wet (read to leave him in it for a little bit so he gets uncomfortable with being wet) and I’ve been putting him on the toilet every 30 minutes and have a chart I put stickers on when he sits on the potty, asks to go, flushes, pees, poops, washes hands. I’ve been doing this for awhile and he has yet to go in the toilet. How do I encourage him to take that first pee in the toilet? Once he pees once he’ll know what to do.

God-son (with me in my profile photo). Approached this as a "Going to school like a big boy" exercise after his 2nd birthday, only not months immediately after. Hung out with him camped near the bathroom, relocating our Mobile Library. Worked on this for an entire week. First with me, then with my sister because she'd cautioned me that much like reading exercises, we were to be especially careful that we not confuse him; To not swap the teaching between us throughout the day with his training. Whoever was going to start out with the training, was to stick to it until he got it, before the other sister could start and continue with him.

What worked for him:

Potty training nursery rhyme sing-alongs:  Eg  https://youtu.be/JoAMgjAmCdw
    • The self-standing potty simply didn't do it for him. The potty seat plus the step up and his choice for his floor mat made all the difference, most especially getting to flush the toilet himself. He was motivated. He also liked stacking his fresh and clean undies for the day, including removing his bagged pull-ups to the bin if and when his timing was off.
    • What roused enough curiosity for him - was the use of flushable wipes and the excuse to wash his hands with his favourite liquid soap, washing his hands singing any nursery rhyme.
    • Stickers for some reason didn't workout as a reward.  It quickly became his accountability report card, where he would gauge how he was doing with his training. He would choose his own stickers from the stores. For the board, he would pick from one bag of stickers strictly for peeing and would pick from the other bag of stickers, for #2.  By the end of the day, after dinner he'll count the no. of times he used the potty, which will then earn him his choice of restaurant for a meal outing, one snack bag from the supermarket and one activity book, game or toy for the following day's excursion.
    • His potty training attire always  was a combination of vests/tees, his pull-ups and his favourite undies. Once he started feeling the ease excited and confident with his timing to go potty, he preferred his pull-ups but only for a short while, before he switched it up for his undies.
  • Birdieeez
    Birdieeez Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    My two boys are now teenagers but I remember they had no problem sitting on the potty but getting them to stay there long enough to actually have something happen was a chore. I eventually resorted to singing their favorite Christmas carols to distract them from wanting to get off the potty too early. Mind you, it was mid-July and I was singing, "Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer". Whatever works, right? Good luck.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I have twin boys. One decided one day at 3 that he didn't want to wear pull ups any more and that was that. His brother was bladder trained at 4, but bowel training took longer. One day I caught him and took him to the toilet as he was about to go. He said to me "oh, that's what that is!", and never had another accident. Daughter was 3 and pretty much did herself. They will become toilet trained when they are ready - don't stress about it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My oldest took forever to potty train. He did eventually get it down but it’s hard to say if that was a result of some development delays (he was a preemie) or if he just wanted to do it on his own terms. He also went through a painting with poop on the wall phase.
    His little brother on the other hand was quick. He hated wet diapers and pull-ups. Now he will change his underwear if he farts (he’s 4 now).

I think every little boy is going to be a bit different.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    We raised two boys. With both of them, we found out that they just weren't ready as early as the girls in our family. We gave up trying until they were at least 3 years old. Our goal was to have them fully potty trained by age 4. I think they both ended up trained by about 3 1/2. It really wasn't worth the stress of trying to force them before they were ready.