Identifying “free from” foods.

Hi all

Due to recent health issues I’ve been advised to go gluten and wheat free for 6 weeks. Aside from the obvious ones like bread etc. I really don’t know what foods to be eating.

I’m not sure it’s an option, but does MyFitnessPal have a way of telling you if a food is free from these when you scan them?
I thought it would be massively helpful when I’m walking around the supermarket just to scan something and confirm it’s correct rather than always looking for hidden labels.

Apologies if this has been asked before. If there are any better suggestions I am all ears.

Thanks

Rob

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,317 Member
    No, MFP does not have that feature. You can look for "wheat" in the ingredients, or "Wheat Free/Gluten Free" on the label.

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    Some supermarkets have all of their gluten free products in one place. I would still read labels until you're sure, but it makes it easier to see what's available for most common gluten-full things (breads, crackers, baking mixes, etc). Be careful though. Lots of things like "corn" tortillas have wheat in them as well. Rice crackers might too. You'll probably want to read labels at first.
  • sjb11973
    sjb11973 Posts: 13 Member
    As previously stated, all supermarkets have a ‘free from’ section for the specific gluten free foods you may want such as bread/pasta etc. Rice is naturally gluten free, just check what it’s mixed with if you buy prepacked/cooked ones. Otherwise fruit veg meat etc are all gluten free. It’s a lot easier now than it used to be. You really don’t need to ‘give up’ any foods you like just adapt.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Here's something that's not obvious - soy sauce often has wheat in it. San-J is one brand that offers a wheat-free variety.
  • robbiebrown34
    robbiebrown34 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you all for the info. Very helpful! The feature would be good on MFP but it’s obviously not essential.
    It’s a bit of a dive into the deep end for me, hopefully I’ll get used to it and keep an eye on those labels. Thanks all!
  • _Cece_x
    _Cece_x Posts: 53 Member
    I’m GF and need to check every label for wheat and barley! It’s an absolute nightmare but what I have found is you’re find a more expensive gluten free version of somehing that doesn’t have gluten in to begin with!
  • suzannesimmons1
    suzannesimmons1 Posts: 58 Member
    Thank you all for the info. Very helpful! The feature would be good on MFP but it’s obviously not essential.
    It’s a bit of a dive into the deep end for me, hopefully I’ll get used to it and keep an eye on those labels. Thanks all!

Mfp relies on people entering info.....would you trust your life on a random stranger? Another thing is one day the product can be free from and another day it's been new and improved and now contains allergens...
    ALWAYS read the lable....everytime you buy a product.

Stock cubes, yogurts, thickened items usually contain wheat.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You can't really "rely" on MFP accuracy for calories and nutrients, so I surely would not want to depend on it to alert me an ingredient that could harm me. Just sayin... Be careful what you wish for...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Easier to work from whole foods and then if you want to purchase packaged look for those labelled GF.