Macros and weight loss. Confused

Hi Everyone.
Should I be worried at all about macros, or just concentrate on calories?

Can someone help me or point me in the right direction for finding out what my ideal macro percentages should be please?

I'm 5.1 and weigh 78k. I want to loose a minimum of 12 kilos. Currently on weight watchers (so no stranger to tracking) but going to try only using MFP. I'm fairly active. Huge problem with sweet stuff (chocolate and biscuits etc), and love fats (a bit too much!). 🙄

I don't want to cut out any food groupes. Just à healthy flexible plan that allows me to eat a bit of everything. Not too low on calories because I crack of I restrict too much.
Is concentrating more on macros instead of calories maybe easier?
Thanks.

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2019
    If you're just starting, I wouldn't worry too much about macros. The macros MFP gives you are good enough. Even years later I still use the default macros, although some people choose to change them if they don't match their goals and preferences.

For me, personally, concentrating more on macros makes me too obsessive and I feel trapped in my food choices. I focus on calories first and foremost, then pay attention to protein, but not in an obsessive way. If your protein intake is adequate, you likely won't need to worry about macros unless you want to change them out of preference.
  • RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    I agree with the above. If you're simply looking to lose weight then concentrate on calories and let the macros sort themselves out. I started out at 76kg and over a period of a year dropped 10kg just focusing on calories and not worrying about macros. Macros are simply a tool that allows us to have a degree of flexibility in our diets. You say you're goal is to lose a min of 12kg, but you haven't said your timescale or if you've set any intermediate goals. It's a good idea to plan out how you'll achieve that and what steps you will take daily, weekly and monthly to achieve that goal. If you set MFP to achieve a weight loss of 0.5kg per week, which is in the sustainable range of 0.5-1% of bodyweight per week, it should kick out something like 1700-1800 daily calories. I don't know how that compares with what your present caloric intake is (and I presume you're maintaining weight at that number?) but if it's any more than 500 fewer than you currently track you might want to adjust to achieve that 500 calories daily deficit from where you are now. Activity level can also be a factor in any weight loss plan. How active are you? 10k steps per day is a good benchmark for measuring activity, but simply taking three 10 minute walks per day will help. Be prepared to plateau at some stage as your metabolism reaches a new set point and there are strategies to help overcome those plateaus. Good luck and keep us updated on progress.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,587 Member
    edited April 2019
    Caloric balance determines weight change: so calories first.
    I prioritize protein next.
    I like eating at least 0.8 of protein per lb of target weight in the normal weight range--works out for most to about 1g of protein per lb of lean mass at that weight level.
    For me this means at least 120g of protein a day. So a good 480 to 500 Cal of protein. I often go over. I less often go under though almost never below 70g or so.
    For health and fullness I also prioritize fiber, trying for at least 38g a day. These days I hit just over 50g.
    The rest I don't worry about.
    I've noticed over the years that they end up being close enough to MFP's default percentages. Moved from 44C/33F/23P during rapid weight loss to about 52C/27F/21P during slower weight loss and maintenance.
  • sharonlep
    sharonlep Posts: 50 Member
    What fantastic advice with just 3 replies.. Thank-you soo much!
    I suspect I've been eating between 1200 to 1500 a day on good days, but, probably 2500 plus on bad days. I've had way too many bad days recently 😭.
    Very happy with 0.5 per week so that calorie allowance seems generous, and doable!
    I'm fairly to very active. I reach 10k plus steps most days.
    Thanks again :):)
  • RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    sharonlep wrote: »
    I suspect I've been eating between 1200 to 1500 a day on good days, but, probably 2500 plus on bad days. I've had way too many bad days recently 😭.
    Very happy with 0.5 per week so that calorie allowance seems generous, and doable!

Your welcome.

Try not to think about "good" days and "bad" days. Essentially you're looking to achieve a caloric deficit over the course of a week to meet your weight loss goals. The figures I gave for caloric intake are based on a general 10x bodyweight in pounds for weight loss. Be prepared to adjust that depending on your progress but with your actvity level that should be about right.
  • BMsJourney
    BMsJourney Posts: 106 Member
    I agree with previous responses and add a small illustration to underline that calories in VS calories out is what's going to determine your weight maintenance, gain or loss.

BalCalories2.png

Secondly, you're writing you suspect your intake is (...) - I would propose you get a food scale, that way you'll know for sure what your intake is :smile: (Greater accuracy in logging, greater results).

The default macro settings are just fine, if they work for you. Personally I find that while on a deficit I need to target a higher protein % for satiety.

G'luck
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member

12000 is low given your stats - so maybe try to not have too many days that low. undereating some days can lead to over eating out of hunger days later so this may help (as well as pre-logging).

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Hi Everyone.

Can someone help me or point me in the right direction for finding out what my ideal macro percentages should be please?

I'm 5.1 and weigh 78k. I want to loose a minimum of 12 kilos. Currently on weight watchers (so no stranger to tracking) but going to try only using MFP. I'm fairly active. Huge problem with sweet stuff (chocolate and biscuits etc), and love fats (a bit too much!). 🙄

I don't want to cut out any food groupes. Just à healthy flexible plan that allows me to eat a bit of everything. Not too low on calories because I crack of I restrict too much.
    Thanks.

To the bolded: You might find the process described in the thread below would fit your needs. It's about gradually remodeling your eating to hit calorie goal, then fine-tuning macros, and moving on from there as needed. It's not selling any specific set of rules/restrictions, beyond some fairly mainstream nutritional suggestions.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

If it sounds useful, set yourself a moderate weight loss rate in your profile, and try it out. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Hi Everyone.

Thanks.

Macros don't really matter for weight management. Calories are what matter for weight management. There is no ideal macro ratio...macros largely dictate performance (ie a bodybuilder and a marathon runner are going to have different ideal macro ratios) and can affect satiety and body composition...ie getting more protein to help preserve or build muscle mass.