A different kind of Life/Fitness Journey- during Transition (35/MtF)

AlinaRose17
AlinaRose17 Posts: 92 Member
edited April 2019 in Success Stories
Hello, I have been on here a long time, but am currently just shy of 2 years into the journey of my life time as I transition. I was a certified personal trainer and an amateur bodybuilder and powerlifter in my previous life- and I truly loved to workout and still do, but my motives for doing so to the extent that I did (making my life revolve around it) were often to hide behind a very masculine image where it felt safe and where I knew that I was accepted. I am very open about my transition. I have 3 gender-affirming surgeries taking place in 4 months and am currently trying to get into the best shape that I can be before they take place and before an extensive time recovering after during which I won't be working out very much. Please feel free to add as I am always up for new friends!ti7gkvmt0rj8.png

[edited by MFP mods to remove personal details]

Replies

• Foodiemom67
    Foodiemom67 Posts: 22 Member
    what a journey!
  • thezenarya
    thezenarya Posts: 38 Member
    This is wonderful! Hope your surgeries and recoveries go well!
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Amazing! Thank you for sharing!
  • AlinaRose17
    thezenarya wrote: »
    This is wonderful! Hope your surgeries and recoveries go well!

Thank you, so do I. I am both excited and terrified.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Fantastic! You're probably boosting up people who you'll never meet just by sharing your story. Your plan to be fit and strong before surgeries is a good one. I hope everything goes as planned and your recovery is quick. You've done a lot of work on yourself. You look great!
  • tthickens637
    tthickens637 Posts: 312 Member
    Congratulations on all your work. You look great and are clearly on the right track. So encouraging for others!!!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Congrats and may your continuing road be a smooth one!!!
    By the way....you are beautiful!
    Stay visible so that others may be inspired by your road <3
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Wow! Thank you for sharing. I find your story fascinating and I applaud your openness. Can I ask how your exercise routine has differed through your transition. It seems like it might be a struggle to balance. I imagine you want to lose some muscle mass (and definately have from your pics), while still being strong and fit. How do you envision your ultimate physique goal? Have you already hit it? Did you you lose mass by changing how you workout or was it a by-product of hormone therapy or a combination of both?
  • CaseySteenport
    CaseySteenport Posts: 41 Member
    Amazing. Thanks for sharing!
  • SwampWitch75
    SwampWitch75 Posts: 98 Member
    I hope your surgeries go well!
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    What a great story! All the best to you ❤️
  • mlm7126
    mlm7126 Posts: 30 Member
    Happy for you! Sending all my good vibes!!
  • AlinaRose17
    Wow! Thank you for sharing. I find your story fascinating and I applaud your openness. Can I ask how your exercise routine has differed through your transition. It seems like it might be a struggle to balance. I imagine you want to lose some muscle mass (and definately have from your pics), while still being strong and fit. How do you envision your ultimate physique goal? Have you already hit it? Did you you lose mass by changing how you workout or was it a by-product of hormone therapy or a combination of both?

I would like to have more of a balance between my upper and lower body, and of course more curves. I have dialed back my upper body workouts significantly and place a strong emphasis on lower body training now. I do work to preserve my strength as a powerlifter (my total in the big three is currently 1020lbs), but I am working to improve my flexibility, and to get leaner.

I would say that hormone therapy has been responsible for most of the changes in muscle volume, but changes away from higher volume upper body work has also played a role. I am 5'11" so I have embraced my inner Amazon, but I would like to lose another 10-15lbs and go from there.
  • AlinaRose17
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Congrats and may your continuing road be a smooth one!!!
    By the way....you are beautiful!
    Stay visible so that others may be inspired by your road <3

Thank you so very much! I am terribly harsh on myself but I do appreciate that!
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Beautiful!!! I hope your surgeries go well and you have a speedy recovery!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!