Muscle soreness

Options
What do most of you do for soreness? I have been walking for the past month and my calves are still sore. In the last couple of days I will admit I have tried different things as far as exercise. For the 1st time on yesterday I did 30 minutes on the treadmill (bad idea) but I felt fine while walking. My regime is walking 5 days a week for 2.6 miles. Which still bothers me but not as bad. Just looking for remedies to stop the sore muscles. Also, I soaked tonight in green alcohol and Eason salt. Really can’t tell a difference. Please help...

Replies

• deblcar
    deblcar Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Check to make sure that your shoes are in good shape and fit properly and make sure that you are stretching after your walk.
  • feliciadst5591
    feliciadst5591 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks will do. The shoes I wear are supposed to be Nike running or walking shoes. Any suggestions on shoes will help.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling works wonders
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Thanks will do. The shoes I wear are supposed to be Nike running or walking shoes. Any suggestions on shoes will help.

But how old are they?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    What do most of you do for soreness? I have been walking for the past month and my calves are still sore. In the last couple of days I will admit I have tried different things as far as exercise. For the 1st time on yesterday I did 30 minutes on the treadmill (bad idea) but I felt fine while walking. My regime is walking 5 days a week for 2.6 miles. Which still bothers me but not as bad. Just looking for remedies to stop the sore muscles. Also, I soaked tonight in green alcohol and Eason salt. Really can’t tell a difference. Please help...

Interesting that soreness would be lasting that many days after doing it for a while, and with rest days. Could be more than just mere muscle soreness from normal overload routine.

Is it really the muscle belly, calves just below the knee?
    Or are you including the Achilles tendon in that description right above the heel up to the muscle?

Makes a difference.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    make sure you have good gear for the activity that you are trying to do, stretch before and after, stay hydrated. eventually the soreness doesn't suck has much
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling works wonders

This ^ though if you are sore, it will hurt like a *kitten* while doing it! But it does do wonders
  • rlackey23
    rlackey23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The treadmill mill wears me out and makes me sore. I’m decently fit and fairly small but my pace and stride just aren’t comparability with a treadmill for whatever reason. Long story short is that I finally went to the elite cal and get a much better work out and don’t get sore like I did on the treadmill. It’s much easier on your joints too. I’d try that or a rowing machine or exercise bike if you have access to any of that and if not I’d swap to walking trails or something outside and stay off of a treadmill. I don’t know how your getting your walking in but a pool would be a wonderful low stress way to get your exercise if you could.
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Have you tried some ibuprofen to reduce inflammation? Of course you should make sure your doc is ok with you using it--some medical conditions mean you can't take it. But I use it before exercise in general, and for about 48-96 hours after if I have any flare ups. It is unusual to have soreness for so long after starting a workout routine, so I would also question whether your shoes are up to it--new and the right fit for you. You can look for a running shoe store to have them watch your stride to see if you pronate or supinate and you might need different shoes or inserts.

One more thought--did you take up walking after a period of years where you didn't do any actual exercise walking? Did you wear a lot of heeled shoes in that time (most women's shoes for work have heels unless you are in medicine/nursing)? If you have a long history of wearing heels, your achilles may be shortened and you need to carefully start stretching it and/or wearing heel supports in your walking shoes. This is definitely something you should talk to a doc or PT about too. Good luck finding a solution.
  • marcusjgrose
    marcusjgrose Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    Have you tried some ibuprofen to reduce inflammation?

Always take it after food,not good for you on an empty stomach.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    What sort of soreness?

Brand of shoe is pretty meaningless for proper athletic performance. Getting the correct type of shoe will get you some way there (running shoes are different to cross trainers which are different to gym shoes) but that's only gonna get you 25% of the way there. The other 75% is about getting the right fit for you. Depending on the shape of your foot, your gait, your footfall and how your foot lands and rolls is by far the most important thing.

Go to a proper athletic store and get them to fit you for a shoe that fits you.

Also make sure that you're just sore and not injuring yourself. Pain isn't always gain.