Meal plan or not?

Options
I have a super busy schedule and I am a bit of a picky eater (on healthy foods.. go figure) . Was wondering how people felt about meal planning and do I plan the full week or should I plan half week?

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what works for you. I meal plan a week or sometimes two out because it helps keep me organized and on track. But I also try to stay flexible enough that if something comes up it doesn't throw me for a loop.

Planning ahead also cuts down on grocery store trips which is a bonus for me.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You should do what works best for your schedule. There's no right or wrong way to do it, but a lot of people find it helpful for making good decisions at meal time. With my schedule it's easier to plan and prep for the whole week. I bought a bunch of containers (hint, get the same kind so everything will stack in your cabinet and fridge better). After prepping on the weekend, everything gets portioned right into the containers--ready to go! We do meat on the grill and veggies separately so it's easy to calculate calories for each serving. Some veggies don't hold up as well when cooked in advance, so in those cases, we just chop on the weekend and cook the night before. Either way, the idea is to save time with prep during the week, and it really helps. I hope some of those ideas will help you! Keep us posted.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    When I cook, I cook for the whole week. Sunday afternoons I will shop, prep and pack pretty much every single bite I plan to eat for the upcoming week. Then for the next 6 days, I don't have to do more than pull out a container and heat it up. If I even bother with the heating... My go to is either microwaving or airfrying some chicken or pork and dumping a half a bag of frozen veg and a scoop of rice over it all. Whatever the vegetable sauce is flavors everything else and the required muss and fuss is minimal.
  • Cmachuca39
    Cmachuca39 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    It really depends on what works for you. I meal plan a week or sometimes two out because it helps keep me organized and on track. But I also try to stay flexible enough that if something comes up it doesn't throw me for a loop.

Planning ahead also cuts down on grocery store trips which is a bonus for me.

Thank you!
  • Cmachuca39
    Options
    xtrain321 wrote: »
    You should do what works best for your schedule. There's no right or wrong way to do it, but a lot of people find it helpful for making good decisions at meal time. With my schedule it's easier to plan and prep for the whole week. I bought a bunch of containers (hint, get the same kind so everything will stack in your cabinet and fridge better). After prepping on the weekend, everything gets portioned right into the containers--ready to go! We do meat on the grill and veggies separately so it's easy to calculate calories for each serving. Some veggies don't hold up as well when cooked in advance, so in those cases, we just chop on the weekend and cook the night before. Either way, the idea is to save time with prep during the week, and it really helps. I hope some of those ideas will help you! Keep us posted.

Thanks for some great ideas!
  • Cmachuca39
    Options
    If you are going to do it, do it for the whole week. I really miss it when I don't. I part out cottage cheese, diced fruit or whatever in small containers, throw normal serving sizes of snacks in baggies and so forth. I cook a few meals and set out lunch size portions in containers. If I make enough I freeze half of the rest. You end up with three fresh suppers (at the least). For the rest of the week, if needed I have steamable vegetables in the freezer. I either cook thin sliced pork or chicken breast and add stir fry veggies or use as a side. Doesn't take long and is a nice break from what you prepped over the weekend. What I have in the freezer fills in gaps for lunch or busy nights that you cannot cook.
    Just what I do, everyone has different methods.

Thank you! Great ideas
  • Cmachuca39
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    When I cook, I cook for the whole week. Sunday afternoons I will shop, prep and pack pretty much every single bite I plan to eat for the upcoming week. Then for the next 6 days, I don't have to do more than pull out a container and heat it up. If I even bother with the heating... My go to is either microwaving or airfrying some chicken or pork and dumping a half a bag of frozen veg and a scoop of rice over it all. Whatever the vegetable sauce is flavors everything else and the required muss and fuss is minimal.

Thinking about the airfryer!
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I meal plan a month at a time and it makes things a lot easier for me during the week. I have a master list, with recipes pulled and attached, and then each week I spend a few minutes looking at my calendar and lining up meals with days. As we go through the meals I just cross them off. I shop bi-weekly but get the most of my groceries/meal items the first trip of the month and then the second trip is mostly to replenish fresh produce and dairy.

Month to month the menu plan varies a little bit, with new recipes and such, but the majority of the meals are just rotated through again. Once I did it for a couple of months it became a very easy process to do. Also, I eat differently than my family does, so I have their menu plan and then mine. It's a bit of an art form to keep it all going smoothly LOL :#
  • Cmachuca39
    Options
    zeejane4 wrote: »
    I meal plan a month at a time and it makes things a lot easier for me during the week. I have a master list, with recipes pulled and attached, and then each week I spend a few minutes looking at my calendar and lining up meals with days. As we go through the meals I just cross them off. I shop bi-weekly but get the most of my groceries/meal items the first trip of the month and then the second trip is mostly to replenish fresh produce and dairy.

Month to month the menu plan varies a little bit, with new recipes and such, but the majority of the meals are just rotated through again. Once I did it for a couple of months it became a very easy process to do. Also, I eat differently than my family does, so I have their menu plan and then mine. It's a bit of an art form to keep it all going smoothly LOL :#

That is a excellent idea! Thank you:)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I plan, but I don't prep really. We plan in order to know what we need to get grocery shopping on the weekend. My breakfast usually is just alternated between oats and eggs...lunch is usually leftovers from the night before or a sandwich or something. Dinners we cook fresh every evening and we usually make enough to have leftovers the next day for lunch or some other day for lunch.
  • zeejane4
    Options
    Cmachuca39 wrote: »

I know it sounds overwhelming but once you do it a couple times it's actually really easy-I can now do a whole month's plan, along with corresponding grocery lists, in under an hour :)
  • Cmachuca39
    Options

I know it sounds overwhelming but once you do it a couple times it's actually really easy-I can now do a whole month's plan, along with corresponding grocery lists, in under an hour :)

That is awesome! I have just been back to calorie tracking this week and i am so proud of myself because i am doing really really good on it and it's an eye opener on foods, i assumed were good were actually not! When you meal planned do you still calorie count everyday per say on the app?
  • Cmachuca39
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I plan, but I don't prep really. We plan in order to know what we need to get grocery shopping on the weekend. My breakfast usually is just alternated between oats and eggs...lunch is usually leftovers from the night before or a sandwich or something. Dinners we cook fresh every evening and we usually make enough to have leftovers the next day for lunch or some other day for lunch.

Great idea! thank you :)
  • lorifrance
    lorifrance Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm using a on-line site that has a weekly meal plan and shopping list. I modify the meals to what I like from other recipes there, and check the list to what I have on hand before shopping. Works great for me as I'm terrible with planning.
  • zeejane4
    Options

That is awesome! I have just been back to calorie tracking this week and i am so proud of myself because i am doing really really good on it and it's an eye opener on foods, i assumed were good were actually not! When you meal planned do you still calorie count everyday per say on the app?

I track on another site and still keep an eye on my calorie intake, though right now I'm focusing on my carb intake/playing around with that. I'm in maintenance so I have a bit of wiggle room at this point, but I still use my food scale every day to measure out the correct portion sizes for most of my food :)
  • Cmachuca39
    Options
    lorifrance wrote: »
    I'm using a on-line site that has a weekly meal plan and shopping list. I modify the meals to what I like from other recipes there, and check the list to what I have on hand before shopping. Works great for me as I'm terrible with planning.

May I get the site name?
    Thank you
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    If I'm not actively prepping, the least I will do is keep a list updated that goes three days out, of what I can make and eat with what's on hand or with things I can get in the course of what's going on daily. This usually keeps me out of trouble.
  • Cmachuca39
    Options
    If I'm not actively prepping, the least I will do is keep a list updated that goes three days out, of what I can make and eat with what's on hand or with things I can get in the course of what's going on daily. This usually keeps me out of trouble.

Great idea to start doing now since I am still learning!
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Thought about you again and wanted to come back and add one more thing--for those really busy weeks when I don't have time to prep, I stock up on stuff that is easy to grab on the run. Yogurt, cottage cheese, frozen or pre-sliced veggies, rotisserie chicken, deli meat, tuna, nuts, whole fruit, canned beans, and sweet potatoes--they cook in the microwave in 7 minutes and are actually good cold. :)