Anyone out there with a goal of maintaining their high school weight?

2»

Replies

• must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    High school weight: No. (no muscle). Grad school weight: Yes.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I was somewhat overweight in high school, and lamentably underactive, so no.

This was also me. I don't know my high school weight. I believe I was in the borderlands between normal and overweight BMI, perhaps up to mid-overweight on the BMI scale.

I weigh less now than I ever did then. But I am also more active. I have no baseline to go back to; I've swept past it and this is uncharted territory.
  • John772016
    John772016 Posts: 113 Member
    When I was losing, my orginal goal was to get me back to my university weight; then I realized that wasn't enough, about 20lbs under that now for the last 2+ yrs
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Hell no, I was like a buck 35 soaking wet and skinny AF in high school. No fat mass and no muscle mass either. Hell to the no. It took me forever and a day to put on some weight and fill out.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I probably weigh the same as I did in the upper years of primary school. Yep, I was overweight then and at a normal weight now.
  • laurenhugs23
    laurenhugs23 Posts: 153 Member
    OP you might find your community of people in the weight lifting forum. We are all former chronic chunkers or yo-yo dieters. I myself have been a yo-yo-er since high school (technically the summer before freshman year) always cycling between 165 (borberline overweight) and 120 (borderline underweight. So yes my goal is to weigh my high school weight (135) but it's one of many of my high school weights 😂😂😂
    Point being I think most chronically thin individuals have not explored the maintenance side of MFP
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I think I weighed about 120 in high school. Current goal is 125. So I’m aiming for close to my HS weight.
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Nope, I weighed 95 pounds in high school. I'd die if I went that low again. I grew almost 5 inches since high school
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    don't remember, I do remember I was size 10 at 19 years old, I am that now.
  • thezenarya
    thezenarya Posts: 38 Member
    HS weight was 175-ish, so it's a goal to reach on my way down, but I plan on weighing less than that when all is said and done.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    I was like 280 back in high school. Id rather not be anywhere near there again.

I really dont know how low I can go, but Im at 195 right now. Aiming for 170.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    bross57 wrote: »
    44 years of good metabolism, but not healthful eating. Now that I’m retired and have the time to set nutrition and exercise goals, I find this site very useful in monitoring what I’m eating and making sure I provide my body with enough good calories to offset what I’m burning.

But why start? If you never had a problem?
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    I weighed 125-135 in HS and still weigh that. It’s been a battle for 45 years (gasp!) and I’ve gone up to 150 (why I came on this site) and as low as 110 in graduate school. While I managed to keep at that range it was getting harder and harder. It’s disappointing that as we become seniors it isn’t any easier to be at an appropriate weight. For me at any rate.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited April 2019
    44 years of good metabolism, but not healthful eating. Now that I’m retired and have the time to set nutrition and exercise goals, I find this site very useful in monitoring what I’m eating and making sure I provide my body with enough good calories to offset what I’m burning.

So she can maintain her weight? Why shouldn’t she? Just because she’s never had “a problem” doesn’t mean she doesn’t need or want to be mindful of calorie intake like everyone else.

• laurenhugs23
    laurenhugs23 Posts: 153 Member
    whmscll wrote: »

So she can maintain her weight? Why shouldn’t she? Just because she’s never had “a problem” doesn’t mean she doesn’t need or want to be mindful of calorie intake like everyone else.

Exactly!
    It's just recomp, without the weightloss part. Increasing skeletal muscle will ease the process of aging. I think it's a super smart decision. And I hope you find the support you need OP!
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    No...was underweight back then.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited April 2019

Not critical, OP seems to have been maintaining her whole life, is all.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member

Not critical, OP seems to have been maintaining her whole life, is all.

It’s an interesting point actually. For some of us who have “maintained” for decades, it may have been a constant battle of being overweight, then normal BMI, then overweight again. My goal is to make my 20-25 pound weight swings never more than 6 pounds (I’m 5’2”).

People who have had to lose larger amounts of weight may think that a 25# swing over a lifetime is great, and is indeed maintaining. I consider the high side weight for me a failure, unhealthy, and fear that one year I might slip up past my high end and become obese.

I don’t consider it, for me, maintaining. I consider it dieting and then regaining over and over. It’s tiring, not great for my body, and that may be where the OP is coming from. (But that’s just my take on it).