The whole ‘long term weight loss is impossible’ thing

As someone who is currently maintaining a 50 pound weight loss, I find myself getting anxious when I hear those statistics about the success of long term weight loss. Almost all of them seem to say that 90%+ of people who lose weight gain it back within 5 years. Are these statistics true? Is my body going to do everything it can to get me back where I was? I am getting very stressed thinking about this 😕

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    puffbrat wrote: »
    Those statistics, even if accurate, aren't about your body fighting you to get fat. The point is that most people who lose weight don't actually make long-term sustainable changes to their lifestyles. So after losing weight they go right back to living and eating the same way they did before losing the weight and subsequently regain.

This!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I'll let you know in 10 years! Lol😁
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    I lost 70+ pounds 12 years ago. I still keep tabs on my food, exercise and weight.

I watch my nutrition and pay attention! It took me a couple times of regaining some of that weight lost before I made it stick.

I DO NOT want to have to lose that last 10 pounds a third time. Nope.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Most of the time regain happens because people don't plan for the endgame of weight loss. They diet to lose the weight, then go right back to whatever they were doing before and don't do the work to keep it off.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    shw112 wrote: »
    As someone who is currently maintaining a 50 pound weight loss, I find myself getting anxious when I hear those statistics about the success of long term weight loss. Almost all of them seem to say that 90%+ of people who lose weight gain it back within 5 years. Are these statistics true? Is my body going to do everything it can to get me back where I was? I am getting very stressed thinking about this 😕

Stress alone is a cause of weight gain for some of us. In 2014 after deciding never try to lose weight again after 40 years of failure I did change my Way Of Eating and over the next year was down my 50 pounds. I still have the same WOE and have maintained that loss for the last 4 years. In my case when my WOE resolved cravings and binging the weight loss was automatic.

Best of continued success. Listen to your body instead of strangers. :)