How Do You De-stress Your Mind & Body?

ercarta
ercarta Posts: 74 Member
edited April 2019 in Chit-Chat
I like to put on noise canceling headphones and play non-vocal jazz or non-vocal electronic music while reading a book.

Another thing I’ll do if I’m anxious or worked up is head over to the gym and listen to downtempo tunes or podcasts to help me switch gears while I workout.

A third still is I’ll take a warm shower at night with candle light rather than using the bright (harsh) light from the bathroom fixture.

Your turn! Go!

Eric

Replies

• ximenavictoriaxo
    ximenavictoriaxo Posts: 113 Member
    Zumba and kickboxing.

Smoke of da herb.

Long trail walks <3
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    i go camping a lot when the weather's nice. good to get out and away from noise and the world sometimes i think.
  • ercarta
    Zumba and kickboxing.

Smoke of da herb.

Long trail walks <3

Right on! Pass the Dutchie pon the left hand side @ximenavictoriaxo! 😜👍🏼

Read more: Musical Youth - Pass The Dutchie Lyrics | MetroLyrics
  • ercarta
    Massage is quite good. Had my first one on holiday a Swedish massage! It was painful and amazing at the same time...but I felt great afterwards. Physically and mentally.

Nice! What’s different about a Swedish massage?
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Go for a walk
    Play with my dogs
    Get into the garden and rip out weeds, it's very cathartic
  • ercarta
    ercarta wrote: »
    Massage is quite good. Had my first one on holiday a Swedish massage! It was painful and amazing at the same time...but I felt great afterwards. Physically and mentally.

Nice! What’s different about a Swedish massage?

It is a deeper kinda massage, really gets into your muscles and gets all those points of tension, even targets areas you didn't know you had tension or tightness. It's quite miraculous tbh lol at one point I felt as if she was literally getting right into my hip bones when she was working on that area I actually felt like asking her to stop or be more gentle lol but I'm glad I didn't. It's like it feels a bit uncomfortable at the start but they are obviously skilled and it ends up being really revitalizing. I would recommend it ! Shoulder area was my fave. And my head and face that was really good. But over all whole body was great and I will be back !

Wow, that sounds like the perfect de-stressor. Glad to hear it worked for you. Thanks for sharing your experience. 😊👌🏼
  • ercarta
    ythannah wrote: »
    Go for a walk
    Play with my dogs

Ripping out weeds is cathartic?! My grandma used to make me do that in our yard when I was young. That was not the experience I remember. However, it might have had something to do with the fact that I coerced to do it. 😜
  • Mm2Hh7
    Mm2Hh7 Posts: 1,673 Member
    I like to do yoga, get out of my head and focus on my body and breathing. I also like to meditate, have bubble baths, play guitar and sing.
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    I like to go for a run or do some yoga, preferably before the day starts, it helps with my stress throughout the day. In the evenings I like to unwind with a good book, maybe some classical and a little experimenting in the kitchen.
  • JustSomeJD
    JustSomeJD Posts: 416 Member
    Depends on the day. I may go for a run, a bike ride or lift weights. Sometimes I’ll pour a dram of whisky and just sit. Maybe in front of the TV, maybe in front of a fire, and sometimes just on the deck listening to nature. If I am in the mood I’ll grab a cigar and settle in for a while.
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    Shooting, archery especially. Focusing on a target really helps me to push everything else out of my mind, easier than meditation

Writing used to be another thing too, but the words don’t come as easy these days. I miss it, that was an amazing escape for years
  • ercarta
    edited April 2019
    Reckoner67 wrote: »
    Shooting, archery especially. Focusing on a target really helps me to push everything else out of my mind, easier than meditation

Writing used to be another thing too, but the words don’t come as easy these days. I miss it, that was an amazing escape for years

That’s awesome! The archery bit sounds a lot like meditation actually. Rather than focusing on your breathing, you’re focused on a target. 🏹 🎯

I recommend reading Cal Newport’s “Deep Work”. That might help you find your writing mojo again.

https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Work-Focused-Success-Distracted/dp/1455586692?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-iphone-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=1455586692
  • Sex usually works for me

Well... what a koinkeedink... I'm super stressed too ;)>:)
  • ercarta
    Sex usually works for me

Yep, that’ll work every time. 😊
  • ercarta
    edited April 2019
    Sex usually works for me

Seems like someone’s sprinkled some Funky Cold Medina over this thread! 😜
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Sex usually works for me

Well then wifey we should do something about that
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    ercarta wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    Go for a walk
    Play with my dogs

Ripping out weeds is cathartic?! My grandma used to make me do that in our yard when I was young. That was not the experience I remember. However, it might have had something to do with the fact that I coerced to do it. 😜

It's awesome, kill stuff and make the garden beautiful at the same time. Although the dog thinks I do it so he can roll around in them.
  • _impressive_
    _impressive_ Posts: 155 Member
    I meditate, read my "Live, Laugh, Love" sign over and over and spread Coconut oil over my entire body.
  • ximenavictoriaxo
    ximenavictoriaxo Posts: 113 Member
    I meditate, read my "Live, Laugh, Love" sign over and over and spread Coconut oil over my entire body.

Wow, that's impressive 8^)