It's going to work one of these times, right?

Options
Hello, I'm new here. Again. For the 3rd time. I have no self- control and love chocolate way too much. However, I just turned 39 and am bound and determined to lose this weight. My goal is to lose 55lbs by Christmas. This app put me at 1260 calories to lose 2lbs per week. I'm on day 2 and today was better than yesterday but I'm still really hungry. This too shall pass, right? I could use some motivation. No one in my life knows I'm doing this except one person at work because I need to be accountable to someone.

Replies

• ForAmanda222
    ForAmanda222 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    3rd time lucky then x re-starting is better than giving up!
  • cfrj697
    cfrj697 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    3rd time lucky then x re-starting is better than giving up!

Thank you!
  • mckkenpey
    mckkenpey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Drinks lots of water in between. I eat something small every 2 hours. I'm down 20lbs since Feb 25! Good luck to you!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    with only 55 lbs to lose, a weight loss goal of 1.5 lbs/week would be more ideal. plus you get 250 more cals/da which should help with the hunger a bit
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    with only 55 lbs to lose, a weight loss goal of 1.5 lbs/week would be more ideal. plus you get 250 more cals/da which should help with the hunger a bit

I agree with this.

If you really want to be patient, but have better luck sticking to it long-term, I'd drop to a pound a week loss, and eat 1760 calories per day. You're looking at 55 weeks to lose it all, but actually reaching goal. Rather than burning out because you are starving, and never making it.
  • Alanjones45
    Alanjones45 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    cfrj697 wrote: »
    Hello, I'm new here. Again. For the 3rd time. I have no self- control and love chocolate way too much. However, I just turned 39 and am bound and determined to lose this weight. My goal is to lose 55lbs by Christmas. This app put me at 1260 calories to lose 2lbs per week. I'm on day 2 and today was better than yesterday but I'm still really hungry. This too shall pass, right? I could use some motivation. No one in my life knows I'm doing this except one person at work because I need to be accountable to someone.

• Alanjones45
    Alanjones45 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Last one before diet
  • yuko0407
    yuko0407 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

I also agree. More, 1260 cal/day seems very little food for a guy. I'm female, sedentary, 5'3", 51 yo and about 20 pounds to lose. I'm on a 1250 cal/day diet, and honestly, sometimes I'm quite hungry. I can't imagine a guy eat such a little amount and don't turn insane...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    yuko0407 wrote: »

I also agree. More, 1260 cal/day seems very little food for a guy. I'm female, sedentary, 5'3", 51 yo and about 20 pounds to lose. I'm on a 1250 cal/day diet, and honestly, sometimes I'm quite hungry. I can't imagine a guy eat such a little amount and don't turn insane...

OP is female, but for most people 1200 is not enough
  • cfrj697
    Options

I'm female so I'm thinking that's why it put me at 1260 a day. :smile:
  • cfrj697
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think the app put that at my calorie goal because it automatically put my goal weight 6 months out. I'd love that but my end goal is my husband's work Christmas party.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The only way most people find long term success is to start making small changes to your lifestyle that you can maintain long term. Be realistic in your goals and be consistent in your efforts.
  • yuko0407
    yuko0407 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

I'm female so I'm thinking that's why it put me at 1260 a day. :smile:

Oops :( sorry! Forget what I've said, then
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,040 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think the app put that at my calorie goal because it automatically put my goal weight 6 months out. I'd love that but my end goal is my husband's work Christmas party.

Your calorie goal is a result of the demographic data you put in your MFP profile (age, weight, etc.) and the weight loss rate you request (number of pounds per week).

Aggressive goals can be less successful than more moderate ones, as over-restricting can lead to lowered energy levels (so we do less in daily life, burning fewer calories), and to restrict/binge behavior. It's more effective to lose half a pound or pound a week on a reliable, steady, manageable basis, than to over-restrict, have self-control issues as a result, and get into a lose a pound/gain a pound kind of cycle.

MFP started me at 1200 (I'm old, not big, sedentary outside of intentional exercise), even when I asked for a then-pretty-reasonable weight loss rate. I lost too fast (because I need atypically many calories for my demographics), got weak and fatigued, and it then took weeks to recover. Compliance with 1200 was manageable, and I felt great . . . until I suddenly really, really didn't. That was a bad thing.

Be careful! :)

Usually, the best appearance results in X months come from moderate weight loss coupled with a manageable, progressive exercise routine (strength and cardiovascular). Losing weight too fast risks hair loss, bad nails, sallow complexion, listless manner. An adequately-fueled exercise plus weight loss strategy gives the best odds of looking trim, toned, strong, glowing, and vibrantly lively.

I'd point out that you're getting advice here from some people who've lost quite a lot of weight (for me, 50ish pounds at age 59-60, over 3 years ago, still maintaining a healthy weight). Worth considering?

Best wishes!

P.S. Even though you're targeting a bit above 1200, you might want to give the link below a read: It's quite informative.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
  • cfrj697
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Your calorie goal is a result of the demographic data you put in your MFP profile (age, weight, etc.) and the weight loss rate you request (number of pounds per week).

Aggressive goals can be less successful than more moderate ones, as over-restricting can lead to lowered energy levels (so we do less in daily life, burning fewer calories), and to restrict/binge behavior. It's more effective to lose half a pound or pound a week on a reliable, steady, manageable basis, than to over-restrict, have self-control issues as a result, and get into a lose a pound/gain a pound kind of cycle.

MFP started me at 1200 (I'm old, not big, sedentary outside of intentional exercise), even when I asked for a then-pretty-reasonable weight loss rate. I lost too fast (because I need atypically many calories for my demographics), got weak and fatigued, and it then took weeks to recover. Compliance with 1200 was manageable, and I felt great . . . until I suddenly really, really didn't. That was a bad thing.

Be careful! :)

Usually, the best appearance results in X months come from moderate weight loss coupled with a manageable, progressive exercise routine (strength and cardiovascular). Losing weight too fast risks hair loss, bad nails, sallow complexion, listless manner. An adequately-fueled exercise plus weight loss strategy gives the best odds of looking trim, toned, strong, glowing, and vibrantly lively.

I'd point out that you're getting advice here from some people who've lost quite a lot of weight (for me, 50ish pounds at age 59-60, over 3 years ago, still maintaining a healthy weight). Worth considering?

Best wishes!

P.S. Even though you're targeting a bit above 1200, you might want to give the link below a read: It's quite informative.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

Excellent information. Thank you!