Weight Loss

Options
Good morning all, this is my 3rd week in my no sugar diet. I have eliminated most carbs such as sugar, rice, potatoes, pasta, starchy vegs, sweets, bread, etc. My diet now mainly consists of eggs, most green vegetables (not too much), protein, peanut butter, certain fruits like apples and most berries, and that's about it. I can't say that I have eliminated all dairy because I still have some cheese, because it's protein, but eventually when I lose the weight, I will try to eliminate all dairy and incorporate other nourishment. My first 2 weeks I tracked my blood sugar with a meter 3 times a day. In the morning before food, after my lunch and after dinner. This way, I know how each food affects my blood sugar. I am a borderline type II diabetic, I haven't been diagnosed yet, but these news prompted me to eliminate all sugar. In the morning before food, my blood sugar is around 120's, which is not good, but it seems that when we sleep our bodies release certain hormones that increase our blood sugar. The most important reading however is after each meal and it ranges between 116 - 130. Which is not bad at all. I did notice one day that I ate a large plate of veggies that my blood sugar increased to 156. This was a surprise because I thought we could eat limitless vegetables, but my reading goes to prove otherwise. It's the biggest challenge to track your blood, but it's the only way to know how my body reacts. My goal is to keep my sugar levels after meals lower than 130, to start. In addition to checking my blood, I have also been measuring my ketons with ketostix, (something I learned from Dr. Atkins). At the beginning I seem to be in ketosis, but now I guess my body has adjusted to no sugar. I have lost 5 pounds in my 3 weeks. It seems low but I have a thyroid condition and it seems that losing 1 lb is a paramount effort for my body, so I'm celebrating those 5 lbs. ;)

Replies

• jenniferanderson3888
    jenniferanderson3888 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Blood sugar around 120 fasting is great. Don’t know why U thought it was bad
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Blood sugar around 120 fasting is great. Don’t know why U thought it was bad

It's high end of pre-diabetic, so hardly "great," assuming we're measuring in mg/dL.