Meeting a physiotherapist for the first time tomorrow

Options
Last month, I went to my PCP complaining of neck pain and some numbness in my fingers. He sent me for x-rays and confirmed that I have some mild degenerative disc disease at at C5-6 and C6-7 and recommended physio and OTC meds (which seem to be enough for the pain currently). So, I've got my first physio appointment tomorrow.

Other than the copy of my X-ray results, which my PCP told me I'd need to bring, is there anything else I should be prepared to bring up? I'm pretty much expecting to be asked my personal and family medical histories; I mean, that's usually a given for any medical consultation. But should I also, for example, have a list of the current strength training exercises I'm doing or other fitness activities?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    It helps to have good personal info. Hugs. I hope they help you feel better, I feel better after PT.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I would take along my current training schedule - and this may seem an odd one, but perhaps be prepared to talk about your mattress, pillows, sleeping position and whether you wear high heeled shoes (probs not all at the same time :D ). Oh, and how much time you spend slumped over a keyboard ! My osteo had some strong words for me on the latter....
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Yep let them know your fitness routine and any old injuries you may have taken. Other than that they'll let you know anything they need. I hope you get some quick and lasting relief :)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll get to printing up my workout card etc.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you're looking at a multi-session course of physical therapy?

The normal routine, in the few bouts of physical therapy I've done, was for the first appointment to involve lots of measurements, tests (i.e. having you do movements while they watch, and sometimes measure), and questions. If there's anything major you don't bring with you - and it sounds like you've covered the bases - then you can always bring it to the next session.

Hope it helps you: I've found the PT people I've dealt with to be kind of magical!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    They'll probably manipulate you a little. They'll tell you to take pain killers after because they will engage the injury to basically figure out what the issue is and the best way to treat it. I've been to lots of physio therapists for many injuries. The first session is never any fun
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    You also might not actually do a whole lot of exercises aimed at treating your pain/condition the first session. As others have said, the first session will likely be a lot of taking your medical history and measuring things like range of motion, strength, pain, and/or (in your case), numbness.

It honestly probably won't be anything to work yourself up about for good or bad, though I've also had a lot of physical therapy over the years. But yes, your PT will be interested in your current fitness routine, how much walking you do, how much sitting you do, what you do for work (which is related to sitting and walking), potentially what limitations you have when doing things like housework and cooking, etc. You might also be asked about what sorts of goals you have in terms of what you want to get out of physical therapy.
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

The normal routine, in the few bouts of physical therapy I've done, was for the first appointment to involve lots of measurements, tests (i.e. having you do movements while they watch, and sometimes measure), and questions. If there's anything major you don't bring with you - and it sounds like you've covered the bases - then you can always bring it to the next session.

Hope it helps you: I've found the PT people I've dealt with to be kind of magical!

That's what I've been told, yes.
  • OooohToast
    Options

This !
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    How's the PT going, Esther? Seeing improvement, I hope?
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    Well, I got some exercises, but when I went to see her, I wasn't in pain, and haven't had any since. She said that I should do the exercises and call if/when it flares up again. So, adding in a little more to my routine three days a week.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Well, I got some exercises, but when I went to see her, I wasn't in pain, and haven't had any since. She said that I should do the exercises and call if/when it flares up again. So, adding in a little more to my routine three days a week.

Wow! Spontaneous remission, then? Hope it stays that way!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update @estherdragonbat.
    And thanks for the request for an update @AnnPT77, I wondered how things had gone, but didn’t get around to finding the post.

Relieved the problem went away Esther, hope the exercises stop it from returning.

Cheers, h.
  • estherdragonbat
    Options

Wow! Spontaneous remission, then? Hope it stays that way!

Well, it's been detected relatively early. Every now and again, I'd wake up with a bit of stiffness/pain in my neck and shoulder. It often went away quickly, but every so often, I'd be in pain for up to a week. I chalked it up to "guess I slept on it wrong". Then I noticed I was also waking up with some numbness in my last two fingers. I googled and found out that those are common early warning signs for a number of conditions including arthritis (which my grandmother had).

So, I mentioned it to my doctor who agreed it was likely that or degenerative disc disease, sent me for x-rays, and it turned out to be the latter.

But it's never been constant continuous pain. Just flare-ups every now and again. A bit more as the seasons change.
  • OooohToast
    Options
    A great encouragement for others to listen to thier bodies and act - I am glad you are currently not in pain.