how to add lean bulk?

hi everyone, Im fairly new to MyFP and have just subscribed to a years subscription.

ive been training now for 3 months 6/7 times a week and have lost just over 3 stone. i was 17.7 and this morning I was 14.1. i have a good training plan which i follow, with weights and 15/20 mins of cardio and am starting to get a bit of shape however i dont think I am eating enough to now starting adding lean bulk.

i am averaging around 1800/1900/2000 calories a day on the tracker, getting in plenty of Protein etc..... but how do I now start to build up my chest and arms etc....... ? im paranoid if i suddenly start to eat 2500/3000 calories a day that i'll start to add the weight back on. Thats my concern, so wondered if anyone else on here could help me

Replies

• Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    This is a complicated question and an easy one at the same time.

The easy answer is that if you want to get bigger (bulk) you increase your calories and continue your training program.

Wanting "lean bulk" is complicated because different people have different definitions. Some just consider this to mean looking big and ripped, while others actually want their measurements to increase while losing body fat %. This is why a lot of people interested in the same thing you are asking about do a "bulk phase and a cut phase". In short, phase one is to eat at a surplus and lift a lot, phase two is to east at a deficit and try to maintain the lifting numbers.

There are a number of youtubers you could go to get a more in depth explanation. Athlean-x and Jeff Nippard are two that take time to explain the science behind whats goin on and that may be beneficial.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    There is a good possibility that you would be maintaining your weight at 2500 calories or even close to 3000, as most guys I have seen on this board maintain around 2800. Either way, there is a good possibility that you would gain a few lbs just from the increase in food volume and possibly additional glycogen if you are eating more carbs. If you want, you can slowly raise calories to get to that point where you would know your maintenance and then jump to a surplus.

One of the most important things is following a well structured lifting routine and getting passed the notion of only looking at chest and arms. That will naturally come when following these types of programs. The biggest thing you want to ensure if not doing something will cause imbalances which can lead to injury.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • dwinship9456
    dwinship9456 Posts: 2 Member
    thanks a lot guys, this has been helpful.