Cauliflour Ideas please

Options
So I realised last night that cauliflour is good for upping the calorie intake without the fat etc...

But How do I make it exciting????
I steamed it last night and it took me over half an hour to eat it with my gammon - a painful experience but I'm willing to keep trying it.

All ideas welcome!!!

Replies

• kbrown1171
    Options
    I like to roast mine with just a little olive oil and any seasoning you would like. So yummy!!
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    Hi! You can chop up like 4-5 onions, put it in the crockpot(if you have one) and place the whole cauiflower on top,add a few chopped cloves of garlic ......then dump reduced sodium chicken broth and in about 8 hrs you have a kind of mock onion soup or you can boil it and make a mashed potato fake out.......good luck
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Definitely try roasting it.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I roast mine, put it in with some potatoes that I have boiled in low sodium chicken broth and seasonings, get my immersion blender out and puree it. I also add some roasted potatoes after it is blended, as well as some roasted onions and bacon and sour cream and cheese...potato soup! And it's delicious and doesn't have a lot of calories. :)
  • o0IrishEyes0o
    o0IrishEyes0o Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Cauliflour Mash!!

Makes 4 servings

2 cups cooked cauliflower florets
    1 green onion, chopped
    2 tablespoon light sour cream
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix together hot mashed cauliflower, sour cream & butter until well blended, then add other ingredients. Mix well, check for seasonings and serve!

I add cheese to mine (yum) and I use "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" instead of butter. This is my favorite way to eat cauliflower!
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I LOVE califlower rice.... you shred it with a shredder and fry it in a fry pan with some onions... mmmm it's so good. My kids love it too they tell me it tates like rice... BUT way less calories!!! OR you can make mashed califlower... you cook it and just mash it taste like mashed potatoes... mmm now I am hungry!!
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Do a search on the forums here. I have made cauliflower pizza, which is the crust made out of cauliflower and you would never know it and there are other recipes on here too for mashed cauliflower instead of potato :) Type in cauliflower and see what pops up, its what I did.
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
    As long as it's really fresh, raw cauliflower is lovely with all different sorts of dips, I love hummous and also cream cheese and chive best. :wink:
  • DamageCase76
    DamageCase76 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I second the roasting it! I toss it with just a little veg oil (a tbsp) so it doesn't stick, then roast at 425 for about 30 minutes and it starts to get all caramelized and tasty. It's a great substitute for potatoes.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I like to cook it in a basic tomato sauce and pour it over pasta!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower 'mash'- here is a good recipe with mustard pork: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9733/mustard-pork-with-cauliflower-mash
  • routerguy666
    Options
    I steam it and eat it with yellow mustard...

The height of culinary creativity I know, but damn is it tasty.
  • JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Ever heard of smashed cauliflower? Cook the cauliflower in chicken broth; whether it's bullion cubes or canned either will work fine. Depending on how much you are making you want to make sure the cauliflower is covered with the liquid and has room to boil. You cook with lid covered until it's soft & then drain the liquid & smash it like mashed potatoes.

You can add a little butter or margarine if it's in the budget but if not it's fine and has good flavor cooked in the chicken broth.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I bar-b-q it on skewers along with red peppers and onions. mmmmm
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I just read the first post, cause this excited me, so sorry if it was already mentioned, but Cauliflower pizza!!! It's delicious, my fiance harasses me constantly to make it.

Look up ricing cauliflower, basically you steam it and then either use a food processor or shred it somehow to make it into a rice consistency. Lay it out on a pizza tray so that it looks almost like a pizza crust, brush olive oil and some oregano on the top, then bake it until it browns some. Next put on tomato sauce and whatever toppings you like (I usually go heavy on veggies and then add in some grilled spicy chicken strips). Back in the oven, and presto: healthy pizza.

Google cauliflower pizza, you'll find exact recipes, that's where I did.

I think I'll make that this weekend actually!
  • gwark
    gwark Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Curried cauliflower with chickpeas over rice.

- Sautee up 1 tbsp olive oil, some garlic, diced onion, ginger, and salt to taste; cook until translucent, just a few minutes on medium. Optional: Add a diced hot pepper or three if you want it spicy.
    - Optional: add some cubed medium or firm tofu, chicken, or turkey. Wait for it to brown up a bit on the outside before the next step. Note: you may need to remove the stuff from the first step and add it back after this step so that it doesn't burn.
    - Add a can of rinsed chickpeas, or soak half a cup of dried ones overnight.
    - Add a cup of water mixed with a few tablespoons of curry powder. Or if you prefer, get a jar of expensive and oily Madras curry paste.
    - Put the lid on it and let it cook for 30 minutes on medium-low. Watch close, you may need to add more water from time to time.
    - Add the cauliflower, cut into small pieces, and stir. Don't waste the stem bits, cut them small and add them in.
    - Squeeze one half lemon into the pan and mix.
    - Put the lid on a cook for a couple of minutes until the cauliflower reaches the desired tenderness.
    - Serve over rice.
  • LisaM100
    LisaM100 Posts: 14
    Options
    I like to grill my cauliflower. Cut it into small even pieces, toss it in some olive oil, put it in parchment paper or aluminum foil. Add onions, pepper, and slices of lemon. It's delicious.
  • gwark
    gwark Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I often serve cauliflower mashed potatoes, and noone even knows that it is half cauliflower.
  • Thankilates
    Thankilates Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You can roast them with spices

You can blend them up and make Mashed "potatoes"

You can make a vegetable broth based soup and add lots of green (like kale), onions, garlic, and cauliflower. This soup is way low in calories and high in taste and nutrients!

You can make ALoo Ghobi

You can make a Creamy Cauliflower Puree

You can have it in a skillet as a patty

You can eat it raw with hummus

Those are just ideas off the top of my head that I use! I love it and it's super tasty! Let me know what you make :)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I often serve cauliflower mashed potatoes, and noone even knows that it is half cauliflower.

This simply cannot be true, cauliflower has such a distinctive smell!

I'm kind liking the mustard idea, LOL!