Shakeology Alternatives

Options
Hello. I was looking into Shakeology and love the idea of having an easy to make product that allows me to drink vegetables (that I don't like) with a flavor I enjoy but am hesitant due to the high price and my reluctance to support MLMs. Do any of you use a similar product that you would recommend?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    What goal are you trying to accomplish that you think Shakeology will help with? Recommendations will depend on exactly what it is that you need. If it's simply about vegetables, there's no reason you have to eat vegetables if you are getting your nutrients from other foods.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    CatFan1019 wrote: »
    Hello. I was looking into Shakeology and love the idea of having an easy to make product that allows me to drink vegetables (that I don't like) with a flavor I enjoy but am hesitant due to the high price and my reluctance to support MLMs. Do any of you use a similar product that you would recommend?

If you throw some greens, half a frozen banana, and a flavored protein powder into a smoothie blender you're probably getting more nutrition than Shakeology (they won't let any independent lab verify the ingredients and quantities).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    I would suggest buying a blender ( in the long run will be cheaper than buying any pre made shakes) and experimenting with different combos of veggies/ fruit/ other ingredients.

Or look up some recipes and try them out.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,554 Member
    Options
    I would suggest buying a blender ( in the long run will be cheaper than buying any pre made shakes) and experimenting with different combos of veggies/ fruit/ other ingredients.

Or look up some recipes and try them out.

It depends on where TO lives. Here, making any fruit or veggies shakes would cost tons because fruit and veggies are so expensive.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    More expensive than buying shakeology shakes, yirara?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,554 Member
    Options

I don't know. How much is a shake? Here, you could easily sink 3-4 Euro into one shake unless you go to the Saturday market. I used to have a juicer here ages ago, and gave up on it as it was so expensive to use.
  • 194to135
    194to135 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I go through phases where I think "all I need is a shake or this or that and that will fix my disordered eating." as if the food is the issue and not my own set of beliefs and behaviors. I am perfectly imperfect. I don't like vegetables so much. If they are cooked in a soup that's the way I can eat them. So I make a lot of soups with premade broths, frozen vegetables and rice. Instead of spending a crapton of money on shakeology, try this:
    Organic Miso broth (or vegetable broth if Miso isn't available where you are)
    frozen riced broccoli and cauliflower
    frozen riced carrots (or just smaller pieces if riced isn't available where you are)
    Any frozen veggies you can tolerate
    sesame oil (just a bit)
    1 bag of (2 cups about) frozen precooked white rice

Just boil all of that together and add salt as needed. I also add siracha or hot sesame oil to the individual serving. But you can do this with a mexican flare by add fajita seasoning packet and using vegetable or chicken broth instead of miso.

I am not a huge fan of most healthy foods, hence my weight issue, but soups.... it's filling, it's warm, you can make a lot and freeze it in portions and it's super cheap if you buy stuff on sale and if everything you buy is premade or frozen, it's fast and clean up is easy and recyclable most of the time.

Also, just because I LOVE them, check out alyssasbakery.com her vegan bites and chocolate bites are AMAZING. No sugar, no gluten, non GMO, and high fiber and low calorie. It's like the best oatmeal cookie you have ever had (tea goes great with these) and the chocolate ones are like a dark chocolate brownie but good (especially with a cup of coffee). I did have to make an account for the ordering system to work, but it's worth it. They are sweet but not overly sweet, no fake sugar, no white sugar, dried fruit sweetened. They are amazing. seriously. If you want to spend money on anything, spend it on these. So GOOD! (I am in no way affiliated, related to, or personally attached to this company, I found their "cookies" at my local Safeway, and they are cheaper to buy directly online than at my store).
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

I don't know. How much is a shake? Here, you could easily sink 3-4 Euro into one shake unless you go to the Saturday market. I used to have a juicer here ages ago, and gave up on it as it was so expensive to use.

A shake is about $3 a serving. But you rarely just mix the powder with water. My wife usually has hers with an almond milk base and either pumpkin puree or a banana. So they run at least $4-$5 a shake. It is a good product, and she is happy with it, but it is certainly not a cheap one.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    CatFan1019 wrote: »

Have you looked at any of the V8 fruit juice blends? I'm not a fan of regular V8, but the juices weren't bad and you could get some vegetable servings that way if it fits into your calories and macros. If you are looking for more of a shake, you could just do a protein powder and add your own fruits and veggies, there are a bunch of recipes out there.

FWIW I've never personally known anyone who has used Shakeology who hasn't also ended up adding in a bunch of other stuff to make it palatable, which increases the calories.