your mistakes made

Options

Replies

• mariececilia10
    mariececilia10 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Kept eating at a deficit after laparoscopic gallbladder surgery. Should've gone to (or near) maintenance calories for a few weeks.

Separate issue: Didn't initially realize MFP calorie goals could be quite far off for a very few people, and that I was one, so underate by accident and lost weight too fast at first, to my detriment.

@AnnPT77 May I ask what happened when you ate at a deficit instead of maintenance following your surgery? I’m in a similar situation right now!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,039 Member
    Options
    Kept eating at a deficit after laparoscopic gallbladder surgery. Should've gone to (or near) maintenance calories for a few weeks.

Separate issue: Didn't initially realize MFP calorie goals could be quite far off for a very few people, and that I was one, so underate by accident and lost weight too fast at first, to my detriment.

@AnnPT77 May I ask what happened when you ate at a deficit instead of maintenance following your surgery? I’m in a similar situation right now!

Fortunately, my body prioritized healing, so that went OK. But I gradually became more fatigued and weak than ideal - not instantly after the surgery, so I don't think it was a surgical effect - but over the next week or two. I think I was taking a risk on the healing side of things, and that taking a break would've been a better plan, and maybe have gotten me back to a full energetic schedule faster. None of this is guaranteed to be a problem for others, but I think going to or near maintenance for a while is a sensible, conservative health choice. YMMV. :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I really made mistakes, as I knew what needed to be done. I was just lazy.

@derbygraham what are yours?
  • mariececilia10
    mariececilia10 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Fortunately, my body prioritized healing, so that went OK. But I gradually became more fatigued and weak than ideal - not instantly after the surgery, so I don't think it was a surgical effect - but over the next week or two. I think I was taking a risk on the healing side of things, and that taking a break would've been a better plan, and maybe have gotten me back to a full energetic schedule faster. None of this is guaranteed to be a problem for others, but I think going to or near maintenance for a while is a sensible, conservative health choice. YMMV. :)

Thanks for sharing. I was okay in a deficit for about a week and a half and then suddenly I snapped and had a binge-y weekend. I’m trying to not let it mentally ruin me in my efforts and I’m trying now to stay as close to maintenance as possible!