• TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Are you ****ting me?

lol.. right!
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I heard that drinking ice cold water actually burns calories.. (not much..) 1 gallon is like 100 calories.. It also helps keep your liver metabolizing stored fat... kidneys need water to function.. without water the liver has to help the kidneys... so your liver stops metabolizing stored fat..
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Controversial this, but you can get the water you need from anything you drink - juice, tea, coffee, soda, soup, you name it!

The only exception is alcohol which is diuretic.

please, for the love of Pete (whoever he is), do NOT count juice, tea, coffee, soda, or soup towards your water intake goal each day. Please.

Drink water. plain water. ice is great. Mio is ok. But please, PLEASE, do yourself a favor, and do NOT count anything else towards your water intake, mkay?
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I am Pete! and well, I agree!
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Controversial this, but you can get the water you need from anything you drink - juice, tea, coffee, soda, soup, you name it!

Yeah, but most other things have... well.. other things, in them.

Tea and coffee are diuretics, plus if you take milk, that's 25 calories for a 25ml splash of semi skimmed. If you take sugar, that's 15 calories per sugar.

Soda is definitely a dehydrating drink.

Fruit juice contains loads of fruit sugars which are fine enough but better to consum these via a whole fruit to get the fibre benefit as well.

You get a lot of water from food and other sources but I guess that's just what you need to survive as a bare minimum. I've gone a whole week before now without any actual water and didn't die or even feel thirsty. Not too cool though and certainly not optimal.

Water is completely free of anything except water! Calorie free so you can have as much as you like :)
  • DreamLittleDarling
    Options

after all these years of begging people to do stuff for your love!

it is so nice to meet you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • DreamLittleDarling
    Options

Yeah, but most other things have... well.. other things, in them.

Tea and coffee are diuretics, plus if you take milk, that's 25 calories for a 25ml splash of semi skimmed. If you take sugar, that's 15 calories per sugar.

Fruit juice contains loads of fruit sugars which are fine enough but better to consum these via a whole fruit to get the fibre benefit as well.

You get a lot of water from food and other sources but I guess that's just what you need to survive as a bare minimum. I've gone a whole week before now without any actual water and didn't die or even feel thirsty. Not too cool though and certainly not optimal.

Water is completely free of anything except water! Calorie free so you can have as much as you like :)

I like your style. :love:
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options

And we love you, Pete!:love:

Totally fall on the side of drinking water. That is one of the absolutes I have followed this time and it has made a real difference. I actually drink between 10-15 cups of water a day. (and that is just water. I don't even count my unsweetened green tea.)

Try it for 2 weeks. You will really be amazed at the difference you feel and see on the scale.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options

Nope, that's a much-repeated myth. This from Wikipedia, with links to the research:

"Contrary to popular belief, caffeine does not act as a diuretic when consumed in moderation, and does not lead to dehydration or to a water-electrolyte imbalance; current evidence suggests that caffeinated beverages contribute to the body's daily fluid requirements no differently from pure water."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_coffee#Laxative.2Fdiuretic

Same with soda.

For hydration purposes any of these will do.

For minimal calorie vales, sure, go with water, but you may just die of boredom if you totally avoid drinks you like.

There is no scientific proof behind the eight glasses a day myth either. Here's the Snopes article debunking with research sources.
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

You CAN drink too much water, though. A marathon running friend collapsed and was in a coma for a week through hyponatraemia. Rare but can be fatal.
  • AimingHighWeighingLow
    Options
    No I wasn't kidding. It was a serious question. I always thought that people held water, I assumed the more you drank the more you stored, obviously I have been corrected now and I am currently on my second glass of water.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    -
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Are you suggesting that beer doesn't contain water. I drink 8 glasses a day. It all beer, so what!
    Up until the mid-Victorian era you stood a good chance of dying of cholera if you drank water rather than beer.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Are you suggesting that beer doesn't contain water. I drink 8 glasses a day. It all beer, so what!
    Up until the mid-Victorian era you stood a good chance of dying of cholera if you drank water rather than beer.

I decided to be non snarky because this turned serious.

I haven't seen anything to back up the claims of the water/soda/tea stuff. references?
  • jayb0ne
    Options

Nope, that's a much-repeated myth. This from Wikipedia, with links to the research:

"Contrary to popular belief, caffeine does not act as a diuretic when consumed in moderation, and does not lead to dehydration or to a water-electrolyte imbalance; current evidence suggests that caffeinated beverages contribute to the body's daily fluid requirements no differently from pure water."

Same with soda.

For minimal calorie vales, sure, go with water, but you may just die of boredom if you totally avoid drinks you like.

There is no scientific proof behind the eight glasses a day myth either. Here's the Snopes article debunking with research sources.

You CAN drink too much water, though. A marathon running friend collapsed and was in a coma for a week through hyponatraemia. Rare but can be fatal.

Suit yourself. If you want to try and get to the peak of your physical fitness drinking nothing but soda and coffee, go right ahead.

Best of luck with that...
  • jayb0ne
    Options

Same with soda.

Suit yourself. If you want to try and get to the peak of your physical fitness drinking nothing but soda and coffee, go right ahead.

Best of luck with that...
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    YES! You absolutely do need water!

What you DON'T need are sarcastic and condescending replies to your question, so just ignore those =)
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    UGH! That is all.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I live in Baltimore- if you drink water, you end up getting lead poisoning.
    Not because of the water, but because you will get shot in the back of the head while reaching for a glass to fill with water.

I live in Baltimore and I am cracking up right now LOL
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    Water!?! Do you KNOW what fish do in that stuff?
  • jeeping_mom
    Options
    Did I really see someone basically say that it was on Wikipedia so it must be true? Wow. Just. Wow.