Does the "Fatty" mindset ever go away.

Options
This is something that bothers me to be honest. Sure I'm thin now, I have been for over 3 years but for most of my life I was obese.

I still think the way I did when I was fat, I still use food for comfort, when I take a notion of a binge boy can I eat, food is my reward, food is my comfort, food is still my obsession. And its not healthy food at that either its pure junk, I have a chocolate addiction, I can't eat one piece and be satisfied, I have to eat until I feel sick, it just sort of triggers something. I could say the same about french fries and fast food.

I am lucky now in that I have raised my metabolic rate quite a bit and can gorge a hell of a lot and not gain 1lb or I'd have gained quite a bit of weight back by now.

But as I say the mindset thing just isn't right if you know what I mean.

Replies

• dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    zeejane4 wrote: »
    I'm 6 years into maintenance at this point and still have days where I feel really blech about where I'm at-completely ridiculous and I know that, but sometimes it just creeps in. I don't know that it will ever completely go away, but I have noticed the thoughts become less frequent the further along I go.

Thinking about food (and obsessing sometimes) has been a big part of my life the past 7 years. A lot of this is good because I've been focused on counting calories/making sure I'm where I need to be at. But, there's definitely a negative component to this as well. Frankly it's exhausting sometimes-I woke up thinking about food, would think about my next meal/snack as I was currently eating, would go to bed many nights thinking about food/calories etc.

Interestingly, I'm experimenting with a lower carb way of eating right now, (50g-75g of net carbs, so not to terribly low), and the biggest takeaway from it so far has been a significant reduction in appetite, which has led to me not thinking about food all the time anymore. It's been a surreal experience because I'm actually forgetting to eat because there's just no appetite. I've never experienced this before and it's made me want to keep going with my experiment, just for that reason alone, (its also corrected some weight creep and bloating I was dealing with, so win-win lol). Don't know if eating a similar way would do the same for you or not, just sharing my experience :)

Protein and fats are more filling I guess so that probably explains why. Never thought about lowering carbs but you could be onto something.

Yes I can relate totally to constantly thinking about food, Hell I've even had dreams about food. I've even had nights where I've had a binge on something, I wake up the next morning and then I remember the binge and I have a feeling of deep regret, a similar feeling to you would get if you went out and got drunk then wake up the following morning thinking you did something wrong.
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Nice post @Jruzer .

I was going to post something similar but you summed it up quite nicely.