The Trouble With Breakfast

Options
I'm not a big breakfast eater. I can't go to IHOP. Not because of the terrible things it will do to my body, but because if I eat that much at breakfast I will get sick. That being said, I'm hungry! I used to sleep until noon and breakfast was out and no calories gone, but now I'm up early. And my belly is calling!

What can I eat that's filling, low calorie? Eggs? Oatmeal? How much damage will these do? I've been out of the breakfast world for so long, I feel like a stranger.

Thanks all!

Bri

Replies

• ostera15
    ostera15 Posts: 23
    Options
    Oatmeal is a good choice. I usually just eat some fruit for my breakfast.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to make is an omelet. Quick to make and you can add anything to it. Or an english muffin with peanut butter and banana slices will give you quick energy and carbs to start the day.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    Eating Eggs or oatmeal will not cause any "damage".....it's healthy fuel for your body. If you don't want to eat those try making yourself a fruit smoothie, with some protein powder (and some spinach if you're feeling "daring").
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I always switch between oatmeal and eggs. Both are good for ya and keep ya full until lunch!
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Eggs and veggies. Or yogurt with fruit. I really like eggs with veggies. If I eat carbs I get hungry too soon and want to blow my diet later in the day.
  • Sobe1970
    Sobe1970 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I prefer protein at breakfast as it seems to keep me feeling fuller longer. Scramble an egg and a few egg whites and have with a piece of toast. Greek yogurt with some fruit mixed in is a good choice as well.
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I grab a granola bar and eat it while making my coffee. Otherwise I'd never eat breakfast. I just couldn't be bothered that early to make such an effort.
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a snickers marathon protein bar, they have 20 to 21 protein so they keep me full until lunch.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you like. If you don't like traditional breakfast foods, eat something else. Food is the same no matter what time of day it is.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs everyday No damage here.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    4 scrambled eggs w/ slice of provolone cheese melted on top. Yum! It is very filling.
  • jeepgirl001
    Options
    I enjoy oatmeal with fruit or granola with yogurt and fruit. That keeps me until lunch.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt mixed with high fiber cereal and fruit almost daily. Really yummy and easy.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I have a pack of instant oatmeal (made with water and a splash of vanilla coconut milk) then I top it with honey and cinnamon.
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Half a cup of whole rolled oats usually keeps me super full until after after 1pm, and I eat breakfast around 7 or 8am.

My favorite way to make it:
    shred a medium apple into a bowl
    add oats and water
    microwave 2 minutes
    stir and add what you want to mix in!

Today I mixed in a Tbs each of Biscoff spread and dark chocolate peanut butter and some cinnamon
    but sometimes I skip the spreads and just use agave or maple syrup. I'm just out of those right now.

My best friend is on the site too and she usually makes an egg white omelet with skinless chicken breast and salsa.

I'd stay away from anything premade like poptarts and he "-- 'n' cream" oatmeal packets unless you know the nutritional facts.
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, boiled eggs, greek yogurt with fresh fruit. All are low, cal and low fat.
  • MarySunshine70
    Options
    Eggs and oatmeal NEVER stick with me! Plus, the only kind of oatmeal that really qualifies as "good" (glycemic index) is steel cut and I usually don't have time to cook that. The instant oatmeal is so "broken down" already... it's too quickly in my blood stream causing a spike and making me more hungry.

I try to have a greek yogurt with LOTS of water...along with some carrots... because I need to chew something.
    Or a WASA whole grain cracker with sun dried tomato spread and 2 slices of quinoa polenta on top.
    Weird, huh?!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Try muesli. It was formulated around the turn of the 20th centure by a Swiss nutritionist. Either buy it premade, or make it yourself (the recipe below is just rough guidelines, service size would be quarter to half cup depending on your appetite and the contents you put in).

3 cups rolled oats
    1 cup barley flakes
    1 cup raisins
    1 cup date pieces
    1 cup sunflower seeds
    1 cup pumpkin seeds
    1 cup oat bran
    1 cup wheat bran
    1 cup chopped almonds
    1 cup wheat germ

Soak it for 10 minutes in milk/water/juice and eat it cold. Or add milk and put it in the microwave to eat it hot. There a ton of recipes out there, try them out.