Cant run anymore, how to improve?

Options
CamdenHerlihy
CamdenHerlihy Posts: 13 Member
edited April 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello everyone.

I am a 24 year old male. 5"3. 147lbs. I have an athletic build with little man muscles. I used to run 5k+ a day. I used to be able to run 2 miles in about 12.5-13.5 minutes. Over the last year or so I have begun to just collapse while running. I cant run half a mile at 8mph without running out of breath.

I dont know what is causing this. I have a clean bill of health. What do you guys do to improve your run times/ distance? I want to be able to run again

Replies

• z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Way to little information to provide feedback. Could be anything from undertraining to overtraining.
    The most common mistake would be overtraining, where you try to set a personal new best every run. Thats a sure way to get slower (and slower and slower)

Provide more info, the more detailed the better.
    following a structured program?
    training in zones?
    Do you know your lactic threshold (bpm)
    how is current training load?
  • CamdenHerlihy
    CamdenHerlihy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am following a weight lifting program but no running program. I've always just run and never had issues. Lately I've been trying to run at least a mile a day at 8mph.
    I dont know what my latic threshold is, I've honestly never heard of the term.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    have you had a full scope of test done by a doctor? What was done to give you a "clean bill of health?"

was there a big break in the running? or were you suddenly not able to run the same distance in a short period of time while still running?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Could be due to a wide range of issues. If it's not a disease of any sort, it could be nutrition.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Have you tried running slower? By running slower you will be able to run farther. When you can run easily for several kilometers, then work on your speed, but in the meantime, run at a slow conversational pace.