Help please....

Paddy31
Paddy31 Posts: 115 Member
edited October 1 in Motivation and Support
I am having an issue with a word that someone used on this forum.

I work with children who have Cerebral Palsy. For those who aren't as old as me sufferers of this illness used to be called spastics.

The terms spaz and spazzing are now pretty offensive aren't they? They certainly would be terms of abuse if directed at my students.

My question is should I challenge the person who wrote the post? S/he was panicking about weight gain and so any negative post would be counter-productive but....

Anyway, what do you reckon?

Replies

• statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    The word wasn't used in that context, so let it go. Spazzing in slang terms means freaking out, not a derogatory remark against an illness.
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    I agree. Plus I don't think a lot of people knows the meaning you are refering to. I certainly didn't.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    What context was it used in? I have used the term spaz before, liek sayinmg "I'm such a spaz" meaning I'm crazy, or freaking out. I think most people dont know that it used to refer to people with a disability, and dont mean any disrespect.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    I agree. Plus I don't think a lot of people knows the meaning you are refering to. I certainly didn't.

i would not have know either , until my son got upset when heard other people saying it , my nice has Cerebral Palsy
  • firegirley
    firegirley Posts: 86 Member
    I know the post you are talking about, and I think Challenge is the wrong word from you. How about advise, or teach, or recommend. It sounded like you might ba a teacher, perhaps teach her. I'm sure she meant no disrespect whatsoever, and I have never thought of the word Spaz used as a derogatory statement and have now learned not to use this word, thanks to your insight.
    I would message her and ask politely, explaining your reasons. But thats just me.
  • Ritamas2
    Ritamas2 Posts: 319
    Hi there,
    Sorry you encountered this, but really..I think many people throw out
    words without relating them to anyone or anything. I think the person used that term
    (not saying it was right) to indicate they were flipping out not to insult someone!

I'm glad you have the intelligence to not confront this person negatively, I think that
    if you would like to address him or her, that you could do it through a private message!
    And judging by your post I know you will be dignified, those children are very lucky to have you in their corner!
    God Bless you all! :heart:
  • Paddy31
    Thank you.

I am upset that the poster used the words without knowing what they mean but I can accept that she was not trying to be offensive.

I am also wondering whether the word is used more in the states than over here.
  • Paddy31
    But as a final point -

The word spazzing comes from spastic meaning to be clumsy, uncoordinated and uncontrolled. It would be very hurtful to use in earshot of a CP sufferer.

I believe that use in America is considered much less offensive, but it comes from the same starting point.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    I think rather then challenging the person, it's better to challenge yourself and your child. You both will be better off just realizing that trying to dictate everyone's choice of words around you to cater to your own sensitivities is both unfair and unrealistic. The best advice I've gotten in life is this.... "You will come to realize you have control over very little in life. The only thing you truly have control over is your disposition when faced with whatever the world throws at you." .... The sooner both you and your child come to terms with this, the happier and healthier your lives will be. Not all battles are worth fighting. ..That's just my opinion though.
  • pwm235
    pwm235 Posts: 8 Member
    Just blow it off. She meant no harm.
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    I think rather then challenging the person, it's better to challenge yourself and your child. You both will be better off just realizing that trying to dictate everyone's choice of words around you to cater to your own sensitivities is both unfair and unrealistic. The best advice I've gotten in life is this.... "You will come to realize you have control over very little in life. The only thing you truly have control over is your disposition when faced with whatever the world throws at you." .... The sooner both you and your child come to terms with this, the happier and healthier your lives will be. Not all battles are worth fighting. ..That's just my opinion though.

What a wonderful way to live life! Better than the alternatives. Well said.
  • Paddy31

I've done a little extra reading about the difference in perception of the word in the US and here.
    The difference in understanding of the term between British and American audiences is highlighted by an incident with the golfer Tiger Woods; after losing the US Masters Tournament in 2006, he said, "I was so in control from tee to green, the best I've played for years... But as soon as I got on the green I was a spaz." His remarks were broadcast and drew no attention in America. But they were widely reported in Britain, where they caused offence and were condemned by a representative of Scope and Tanni Grey-Thompson, a prominent paralympian. On learning of the furor over his comments, Woods' representative promptly apologized. Many Americans were surprised when they learned about the controversy. In fact, at least one American dictionary (Merriam Webster's) makes no reference to cerebral palsy in its definition or word origins. It simply defines "spaz" as a shortening of the word "spastic" and "one who is inept"
  • firegirley

Awesome advice :)

Also, I'm sure we ALL use words that are offensive to SOMEONE when we dont mean it at all. It may be more so in one state or another (I'm iin Mass and we use the word "WICKED" quite a bit, but no other states to my knowledge use this) but honestly the word Spazz has never been on the radar as offensive until today. Should I not use the word "Crazy" (crazy about my kids) or Insane (insanely jealous). To me, Spazz has always been a slang term for goofy person.
  • I love to be educated...thank you for showing me that this word is offensive to you and the condition of the kids you work with. I will think of other words to use since there are plenty to choose from!! Blessings to you for a beautiful day! :flowerforyou:
  • Paddy31
    Again, thank you for the advice and I'm glad that I took the time to ask you.

I now realise that Americans have a different use of the word spaz than we do. In Britain, it is one of the most offensive things you can call a disabled person.

I hope that you understand why I questioned the word, but I am happy to accept no offence was intended.

Two nations separated by a common language - George Bernard Shaw
  • firegirley
    We can totally relate. Here in the USA, we feel the same about the words "Retard" and "Retarded". People also use it in slang, but inevitably, it is hurtful to any person with disbilities. It must be Englands version. Thanks for teaching us.
This discussion has been closed.