Set point theory

Replies

• Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I've heard people say that your body has a set weight it wants to be at and to get lower than that, you have to "shock your body". Some of the "shock" methods I've heard people talk about are cutting carbs and running. Both are fine to do, but honestly it all comes down to CICO. It's not that people have set points but that people are comfortable with a certain amount of activity versus amount of food and maintain their weight according to that.
    So, if your maintaining your weight and decide to add say running 3 miles 4-5 days a week, you will lose weight if you change nothing about your diet/calories in. If you keep up a consistent exercise routine but never paid attention to your calories in, you would lose weight if you (for example) cut out snacking but otherwise kept your meals exactly the same.
    Here's the problem. The person who adds exercise could easily eat a bit extra at meals or grab a handful of nuts after a run without even thinking about it, and your back up to maintainance calories and you don't lose weight (or maybe even an excess and you gain a little). The person cutting snacking may be cutting their workout a bit short or sand bagging it a little to compensate for the lower energy intake without realizing it and there they are at maintenance too. This is why a lot of people have a hard time with intuitive eating. I know it works for some, but a lot of us have to track.
    If you're not accurately tracking, weighing, and measuring, these subtle compensations are harder to see and you maintain your "set point".
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    edited May 2019
    Thread (temporarily) closed for moderation.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    It's not a thing that exists.
    What makes you say that? I’ve been talking to an eating disorder psychotherapist who has 15 years experience who says it does

Well, logically, then people wouldn't starve to death. So, obviously, you can go below your "set point" if it exists. You can maintain at any weight you choose doing what your therapist says. It is seen as an excuse more than anything.
    What do you mean it’s seen as an excuse more than anything what is?

I mean that other threads on MFP have mentioned it and people usually say it's just an excuse to stay overweight (my body likes this weight). You'll find that your body will tend to arrive at another, even higher "set point" if you let it. Choose what weight you like for yourself and try to stay there, within a healthy weight, of course.

A set point weight is suppose to get you to a healthy weight not keep you overweight

Supposed to, but doesn't always. I really wish you luck, but encourage you to keep learning and asking questions.